View Poll Results: What is the Tea Party to America?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good!

    42 48.84%
  • Good but Looney

    6 6.98%
  • Neutral.... no harm and no good

    2 2.33%
  • Negative and Looney

    24 27.91%
  • Flat out Disgusting!

    2 2.33%
  • People that are Very secure financially that dont understand reality!

    5 5.81%
  • I make love to the Papaya!

    5 5.81%
Page 60 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 802

Thread: The Tea Party Is.....

  1. #591
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Meh, whatever. You could point out just one tea party candidate who was pro choice or pro gay rights and I would be happy to concede the point.
    The Tea Party Express, one of the larger national groups, formerly endorsed Democrat Walt Minnick in his run for Congress. Whose Walt Minnick? One of 12 candidates in 2010 that the Susan B. Anthony List had as "pro-abortion" candidates to "target" for defeat in the 2010 election. A man who voted against putting restrictions on federal funds going to abortion. When originally endorsed Minnick accepted the endorsement however 3 months later did reject it, after the idiotic fake letter that was put out by an dumbass from the Tea Party express, as a potential political liability.

    Still, despite the candidate rejecting the Tea Parties support, that doesn't change that it was a candidate that was endorsed by the Tea Party that had a pro-choice stance. He also happened to be the only Democrat to get a perfect record from the fiscally conservative "Club for Growth" which would account for why the Tea Party endorsed him.

    So, for the second time in this thread, you asked me to provide something for you and I did. Are you still going to claim outright victory, are you going to move the goal posts again, or are you going to respond to my request for finding me a race where the Tea Party endorsed a major party candidate when another major party candidate in the primaries or general election would've been a more fiscally conservative option?

  2. #592
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Then what makes them radical and extreme?
    I'm not sure that Redress has claimed them to be that, but I can wager why some on the far left would see the tea party as "radical" or "extreme".

    Many Tea Partiers are willing to feel some short term discomfort for potentially beneficial long term improvements. To many, taking such a stance is a "radical" notion, akin to amputating ones leg due to severe dabilitating pain in it rather than living life full of pills. For many people opening yourself up to hard times, even if its the chance of a much better life in total, is a "radical" or "extreme" thing. Couple that with the fact that many on the far left think that the views of what the Tea Party stands for won't lead to "good" things but to bad and suddenly it seems they're pushing for bad now for bad later.

    Many Tea Partiers are extremely upset with government, how it works, and the size its bloated. As with any group, hyperbole builds in at times and calls to severely reduce government comes off as an immediete goal to get rid of a huge hunk rather than something that realistically will take time to do. Our society since the New Deal has been one with varying large degrees of government involvement in peoples lives and the notion of moving significantly away from the norm can be seen as "radical" or "extreme".

    They could be rather "extreme" or "radical" themselves and, as is typical, they view the Tea Party as sort of a mirror, focusing on the fringe elements and extrapolating them as the norm because it suits their political agenda. So they see the fringe that is building up compounds to try and refuse the government, citing "right wing terrorism" yet would never look at groups like ELF as the general representation of environmentalism. They see a fringe amount of klan members supporting the movement and cite that its a racist group, while ignoring the elements of MS-13 and La Raza in the open-borders movement.

    Ultimately the Tea Party is a solidly right wing fiscal and governmental organization. To my understanding I would not call it "extreme" or "radical" in a literal sense....fiscal and governmental extremism on the right would be the abolishment of almost all taxes and absolutely hardlined limiting of what government can do to the most narrow literalistic reading of the constitution, which is not the case for the majority of tea partiers with one step away from an anarchy being the form of government. Now, comparing the Tea Party's views to modern politics and generally what we've seen from both parties over the past 20 to 30 years...yes, it could be seen as "radical" and "extreme" as neither side on a national stage have showed anywhere near the desire nor gumption to seriously and legitimately work toward significant cuts to spending. So in the sense of being extremely different than the norm, sure. And comparitive to a far left liberal view, it could easily be seen as "extreme" as its significantly different than their views.

    But if you ask me if its "extreme" comparitive to a legitimate, honest, moderate (and not a staunch liberal who likes to call themselves a moderate by acting like everyone thinks like them because its common sense and anyone else must be some extreme crazy righty)? No, its staunchly to the right, but its not extreme from a point where you start in the legitimate middle.

  3. #593
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post

    And the supposed hidden religious agenda is...where again?
    You have me confused with someone else ... I said nothing about religion.

  4. #594
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I'm not sure that Redress has claimed them to be that, but I can wager why some on the far left would see the tea party as "radical" or "extreme".

    Many Tea Partiers are willing to feel some short term discomfort for potentially beneficial long term improvements. To many, taking such a stance is a "radical" notion, akin to amputating ones leg due to severe dabilitating pain in it rather than living life full of pills. For many people opening yourself up to hard times, even if its the chance of a much better life in total, is a "radical" or "extreme" thing. Couple that with the fact that many on the far left think that the views of what the Tea Party stands for won't lead to "good" things but to bad and suddenly it seems they're pushing for bad now for bad later.

    Many Tea Partiers are extremely upset with government, how it works, and the size its bloated. As with any group, hyperbole builds in at times and calls to severely reduce government comes off as an immediete goal to get rid of a huge hunk rather than something that realistically will take time to do. Our society since the New Deal has been one with varying large degrees of government involvement in peoples lives and the notion of moving significantly away from the norm can be seen as "radical" or "extreme".

    They could be rather "extreme" or "radical" themselves and, as is typical, they view the Tea Party as sort of a mirror, focusing on the fringe elements and extrapolating them as the norm because it suits their political agenda. So they see the fringe that is building up compounds to try and refuse the government, citing "right wing terrorism" yet would never look at groups like ELF as the general representation of environmentalism. They see a fringe amount of klan members supporting the movement and cite that its a racist group, while ignoring the elements of MS-13 and La Raza in the open-borders movement.

    Ultimately the Tea Party is a solidly right wing fiscal and governmental organization. To my understanding I would not call it "extreme" or "radical" in a literal sense....fiscal and governmental extremism on the right would be the abolishment of almost all taxes and absolutely hardlined limiting of what government can do to the most narrow literalistic reading of the constitution, which is not the case for the majority of tea partiers with one step away from an anarchy being the form of government. Now, comparing the Tea Party's views to modern politics and generally what we've seen from both parties over the past 20 to 30 years...yes, it could be seen as "radical" and "extreme" as neither side on a national stage have showed anywhere near the desire nor gumption to seriously and legitimately work toward significant cuts to spending. So in the sense of being extremely different than the norm, sure. And comparitive to a far left liberal view, it could easily be seen as "extreme" as its significantly different than their views.

    But if you ask me if its "extreme" comparitive to a legitimate, honest, moderate (and not a staunch liberal who likes to call themselves a moderate by acting like everyone thinks like them because its common sense and anyone else must be some extreme crazy righty)? No, its staunchly to the right, but its not extreme from a point where you start in the legitimate middle.
    I think people are annoyed with the word "extremism" to describe the Tea Party because the democratic caucus instructed it's use in interviews. Just as the word "McCarthyism" is to be used when discussing Donald Trump.

  5. #595
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    You have me confused with someone else ... I said nothing about religion.
    Sure...I get that...you just responded to my post which was a rebuttal to the "The Tea PArty is a religous movement" argument. Sometimes everything gets very convoluted when people respond to people responding to people...who...need people...are the luckiest people in the world...and luck be a lady tonight...tonight tonight tonight...whoa...

  6. #596
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post

    Actually, if only 5% of blacks are Republicans roughly 3-4 should be black Republicans.
    So? They still come up short. By comparison, 28 Democrats should be black, yet there are 40.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post

    You accuse Republicans of being a racist party because only 2 Republicans are black, yet it's proportional to the 40 black Democrats. If Republicans are racist by this standard, than Democrats are also racist for not having 61 black Democrats.
    Ummm, it is not proportional. Factoring in Republicans hold 54% of the 535 seats in Congress, there should be an average of 3.7 black Republicans. There are two, that's only 54%, or just over half, of the representation of the black population in the U.S.; compared with Democrats, where there should be an average of 28.1 black Democrats. There are 40, that's 142%, or almost 1 and half times the representation of the black population in the U.S.

    Who knows what methodology you employed to reach your conclusion that blacks are proportionally equally represented by Republicans and Democrats? But suffice it to say, when blacks are over represented by Democrats and under represented by Republicans, there is no way to view that as being "proportional to the 40 black Democrats."

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post

    Racism cannot be proved by demographics but by actions, the Republican party is not racist. There is no platform that says "whites are the superior race" nor do they kick out minorities. Your accusations are based on your desired opinion and not based on fact.
    Of course, you believe it was just coincidence that until 3 months ago, there were no black Republicans in Congress at all.

  7. #597
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    I think people are annoyed with the word "extremism" to describe the Tea Party because the democratic caucus instructed it's use in interviews. Just as the word "McCarthyism" is to be used when discussing Donald Trump.
    While I don't care much for such strategies, that doesn't automatically mean the word doesn't fit. The group has been clear shown to contratictory, and part nutter. It has a larger birther contingent, and those holding office claiming them do tend to be the more over the top statemen and stateswomen. From the losing witch to the elected idiots, there is a real nutter element in the movement.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #598
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    While I don't care much for such strategies, that doesn't automatically mean the word doesn't fit. The group has been clear shown to contratictory, and part nutter. It has a larger birther contingent, and those holding office claiming them do tend to be the more over the top statemen and stateswomen. From the losing witch to the elected idiots, there is a real nutter element in the movement.
    Clearly I wasn't referring to anything other than a reason why some people don't like those words. There are no extremists in other groups so the word can only be used against the Tea Party. It's redundant to say "Tea Party extremist." Just using the word "extremist" indicates exactly what organization you are talking about.

  9. #599
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    Clearly I wasn't referring to anything other than a reason why some people don't like those words. There are no extremists in other groups so the word can only be used against the Tea Party. It's redundant to say "Tea Party extremist." Just using the word "extremist" indicates exactly what organization you are talking about.
    Of course you can find extremeist everywhere, but if we look at those who identify themselves as Tea Party candidates, you have to admit they are extreme almost across the board.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #600
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,706

    Re: The Tea Party Is.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Of course you can find extremeist everywhere, but if we look at those who identify themselves as Tea Party candidates, you have to admit they are extreme almost across the board.


    Of course they are to you and your ilk, being far left wing, anything right of any "D" is an "extremist"....
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 60 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •