View Poll Results: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    109 56.77%
  • No

    78 40.63%
  • Other

    5 2.60%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 115

Thread: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

  1. #11
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oaxaca, Mexico
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 08:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

    No, it shouldn't be banned but requirements to show your face for a drivers license or so a police officer can identify you is, in my opinion, reasonable.

  2. #12
    Folle
    Urethra Franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    European Union
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 01:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,323

    Re: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Such a law violates both freedom of speech and freedom of religion. So no, I would not favor such a law.
    A very black and white answer for a very black and white world in which we don't live.

    Your answer would be fine if every woman under a burqa were wearing one out of free choice, but they're not. Many are under a burqa because of force, or fear of the consequences if they don't tow the line. Many live in communities where rejection by family and community would be too hard to bear, hence they do as they feel they should so as not to be cast out, stigmatised or punished. Yes there will always be some exceptoin to the rule the Sunday papers who says she loves living under a curtain and she chose it, but they're far from the majority. Let's cut this crap that most burqua wearing women are free thinking feminists who've chosen to live covered - that argument sinks like a stone. And let's be frank about what wanting to keep wives and daughters under such subjugation really says about how much you value women as equals. Certain civil freedoms quite rightly take priority over a supposed religious freedom such as this one.

    Doubtless as ever on DP, the usual French bashers, relying on Fox news and having never set foot on French soil, will crawl out of the woodwork here. All I can say is that as somebody who isn't French but lives in France, most women and most muslims (of both sexes) here welcome this ban. A few mullahs will scream injustice, but they're not representative of the majority.
    "C'est le dernier qui a parlé qui a raison"
    Amina.

  3. #13
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    10-03-11 @ 07:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    96

    Re: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

    The question is whether or not anyone has the right to restrain the religious practices of anyone. As long as the burqa-wearing is not causing harm to another person, this question should not even be IN question.

  4. #14
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

    Removing burqas in order to end subjugation of Muslim women, is like giving a wig to someone with radiation sickness. It only treats a symptom and does nothing to help with the actual problem. Abused women would still be just as dominated, and ones who wear one at their own volition would have their 1st Amendment rights violated.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt View Post
    No, it shouldn't be banned but requirements to show your face for a drivers license or so a police officer can identify you is, in my opinion, reasonable.
    But how an I going to recognize you if you rob me? I couldn't! There's just no way people can go around completely anonymously in a civilized society.

  6. #16
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Urethra Franklin View Post
    A very black and white answer for a very black and white world in which we don't live.

    Your answer would be fine if every woman under a burqa were wearing one out of free choice, but they're not. Many are under a burqa because of force, or fear of the consequences if they don't tow the line. Many live in communities where rejection by family and community would be too hard to bear, hence they do as they feel they should so as not to be cast out, stigmatised or punished. Yes there will always be some exceptoin to the rule the Sunday papers who says she loves living under a curtain and she chose it, but they're far from the majority. Let's cut this crap that most burqua wearing women are free thinking feminists who've chosen to live covered - that argument sinks like a stone. And let's be frank about what wanting to keep wives and daughters under such subjugation really says about how much you value women as equals. Certain civil freedoms quite rightly take priority over a supposed religious freedom such as this one.

    Doubtless as ever on DP, the usual French bashers, relying on Fox news and having never set foot on French soil, will crawl out of the woodwork here. All I can say is that as somebody who isn't French but lives in France, most women and most muslims (of both sexes) here welcome this ban. A few mullahs will scream injustice, but they're not representative of the majority.
    Well, what you say may be the case in Arab Muslim countries where women are forced to wear burqas.

    However, here in the United States women have the freedom of speech and freedom of religion to refuse to wear it as well.

    That's what you fail to realize - that people have a choice. And in the United States Muslim women have the choice to be as religiously conservative as they want to be. Or as secular and liberated as she wants to be.

    And should a community try to ostracize her for her choices then she also has the freedom of association and therefore may choose not to associate with that community. And should such a community choose to infringe on her civil rights and civil liberties she can use the due process of law to protect herself against that community.

    So the same freedom of speech and freedom of religion that prevents a ban of the wearing of burqas by women is also the same freedom of speech and freedom of religion that prevents the forced wearing of burqas by women.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  7. #17
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

    I'd also like add, the question asks if the United States should ban the wearing of burqas. And I believe no, we here in the U.S. shouldn't. However, the U.S. has a different culture than France or the European Union as a whole. They hold different values and support them in different ways.

    So my position has absolutely nothing to do with bashing the French or watching Fox News. I don't watch Fox News and I have absolutely nothing against the French.

    So the rest of what your post may be somewhat valid. However, you may want to get to know the person a bit more before you make personal attacks against them.

    You don't want to be as inaccurate as you accuse them of being, after all.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #18
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Tomorrow France's Burqa Ban law goes into effect, would you be in favor of a similar law here in the United States?

    Debate as France readies burqa ban - UPI.com

    That law is stupid... What are they going to do? Arrest somebody for wearing one? That's bs...

  9. #19
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,499

    Re: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Such a law violates both freedom of speech and freedom of religion. So no, I would not favor such a law.
    Exactly my feelings...

    No different from banning a kippah/yarmulke or crucifix IMO..

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    May the force be with you
    Serenity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,888

    Re: Would you favor a law banning burqas in the United States?

    i would not favor a law that violates freedom of religion and freedom of speech.

    does anyone really believe honestly, that the majority of people who applaud a move like this care about women's rights? the fact is that this law would deny women the right to choose what they wear, and that is every bit as wrong as men denying women the right to choose what they wear.
    Why do we fall?
    So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •