View Poll Results: Should they recieve back pay

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    17 56.67%
  • No

    10 33.33%
  • Partial (explain)

    2 6.67%
  • Other (explain)

    1 3.33%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

  1. #21
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    They can go sign up for unemployment like everyone else who gets temporarily laid off.
    It's funny. I was on the fence until I saw your post and it hit me; I have far to many friends that are in bad financial shape because of temporary layoffs etc.

    Let them do what the rest of us had to. Pay for work only!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #22
    User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    12-14-11 @ 12:28 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    69

    Re: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    So, how come members of Congress still get paid?
    Because they have defined themselves as essential.

  3. #23
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by ggh View Post
    Because they have defined themselves as essential.
    I hate our government sometimes. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #24
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    They can go sign up for unemployment like everyone else who gets temporarily laid off.
    Yep, just realized this myself. Though fun fact for the metro Washington region, where you work will greatly affect this. Work in MD? You can claim it from day one, and with more money than your DC and VA workers who have to wait 1 week before applying. Just found that weird, but since it's a state to state thing that's apparently the reason.

    Though there is a little uncertainty there because normally they have to check with your former employer to verify

  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I hate our government sometimes. XD
    On principle I really want to see them not be paid unless a full reimbursement occurs. But realistically, they have to be essential, or else it'd be illegal for them to meet together to actually pass a budget that will let everyone come back to work

  6. #26
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    On principle I really want to see them not be paid unless a full reimbursement occurs. But realistically, they have to be essential, or else it'd be illegal for them to meet together to actually pass a budget that will let everyone come back to work
    They have to keep working, but why'd they have to keep earning? It is their refusal to work properly (i.e. pas a budget) that is causing all this. That others suffer while the perpetrators sit pretty is pretty sick.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  7. #27
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    On principle I really want to see them not be paid unless a full reimbursement occurs. But realistically, they have to be essential, or else it'd be illegal for them to meet together to actually pass a budget that will let everyone come back to work
    I know, I just get tired of everyone else being screwed while the fat cats get over on the people for nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

    If their services are non essential, why do we keep them on? Let's spend what money we have on the essential services, then balance the budget.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #29
    Meh...
    MSgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,005

    Re: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    Only the Employees that are still working during the shutdown like the Military should get back pay for work rendered.
    Unlike the civilian government employee, we are contracted, which means that we will get our back pay in the end. Civilians can just quit and move into private sector. We are bound by contract and will be invited to a Court Martial if we dare "quit."

    Of course, I have my own thought. Since both Democrats and Republicans are using the military as that hapless victim, yet again, to push their agendas and blames on each other... I believe that the Joint Chiefs of Staff should shut our military down along with all the civilians that are so easily dismissed by our elected pieces of **** in Washington. All those deployed are to hunker down on the bases and those about to deploy should just stay at home until called. I guarantee the traitors in Washington would sign any damn thing that is presented to them within days to avoid the stigma of embarrassment while we become the nation's heroes. What would they do? Court Martial a million of us?

    Turkey's military seems to coup every 15 years or so and hits the reset button on their democracy. Now, being a good Marine of sound discipline I would never suggest such a thing, but at what point does the American military's responsibility go towards the American people against those in Washington who seem hell bent on betraying them?

    MSgt
    Semper Fidelis
    USMC

  10. #30
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Should non-essential employees get back pay?

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
    Unlike the civilian government employee, we are contracted, which means that we will get our back pay in the end. Civilians can just quit and move into private sector. We are bound by contract and will be invited to a Court Martial if we dare "quit."

    Of course, I have my own thought. Since both Democrats and Republicans are using the military as that hapless victim, yet again, to push their agendas and blames on each other... I believe that the Joint Chiefs of Staff should shut our military down along with all the civilians that are so easily dismissed by our elected pieces of **** in Washington. All those deployed are to hunker down on the bases and those about to deploy should just stay at home until called. I guarantee the traitors in Washington would sign any damn thing that is presented to them within days to avoid the stigma of embarrassment while we become the nation's heroes. What would they do? Court Martial a million of us?

    Turkey's military seems to coup every 15 years or so and hits the reset button on their democracy. Now, being a good Marine of sound discipline I would never suggest such a thing, but at what point does the American military's responsibility go towards the American people against those in Washington who seem hell bent on betraying them?
    That's some Dangerous talk right there.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •