View Poll Results: How do you vote?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • OMG!

    1 14.29%
  • So freakin' what? Who cares?

    1 14.29%
  • Rutebega

    5 71.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

  1. #1
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

    I have a reputation here for being anti public-sector union - for supporting Scott Walker and his efforts to rein in unions - for thinking that teachers are overpaid and their pensions too generous. I live in Illinois. Illinois is entrenched Democratic. Our public pension unfunded liability is: $83 billion. That's full disclosure.

    I'm putting together an article for submission to a major Chicago newspaper and would like your opinion on your impression of these stats. This is the pension side. I'll be doing the salary side as well. (It's very difficult and time-consuming to gather the data, but the data as correct as humanly possible. Please assume it is for your vote.)

    Because it's very difficult to gather data, I've limited my research to one blue-collar community in suburban Chicago: Elk Grove Village, Illinois

    About Elk Grove Village

    Median household income in EGV is $71,834.
    Per capital income is $28,515.
    84.,68% of all households earn less than $75,000 per year.

    • There are 925 current retirees receiving a pension.
      Of those 925, 828 of them are greater than $50K/year. (I analyzed the 828)
      Of those 828 pensions, 730 are from $50-$99,000/year.
      Of those 828 pensions, 95 of them are from $100-$149,000/year.
      Of those 828 pensions, 3 of them are over $150,000/year.

      The average for the 828 pensions is $85,481/year.


    Social Security Average: $12,912
    Maximum Social Security One Can receive: $28,392

    Assume you pay property in taxes in Illinois and that 50% of your bill (approximately) goes toward education. Further, that your property tax bill is around $3,800 for a 3-bedroom, 2-bath home with a 1-car garage and no family room.

    How do these numbers hit you? "OMG!" or, "So what?" Thanks.

    Thanks!
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #2
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

    It would probably be better to break down those numbers by educational level and look at that median and household income. Probably best to do the same with pensions.

    Otherwise, except for those who are making huge pensions (over 100k), I don't see much to go wow about.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I have a reputation here for being anti public-sector union - for supporting Scott Walker and his efforts to rein in unions - for thinking that teachers are overpaid and their pensions too generous. I live in Illinois. Illinois is entrenched Democratic. Our public pension unfunded liability is: $83 billion. That's full disclosure.

    I'm putting together an article for submission to a major Chicago newspaper and would like your opinion on your impression of these stats. This is the pension side. I'll be doing the salary side as well. (It's very difficult and time-consuming to gather the data, but the data as correct as humanly possible. Please assume it is for your vote.)

    Because it's very difficult to gather data, I've limited my research to one blue-collar community in suburban Chicago: Elk Grove Village, Illinois

    About Elk Grove Village

    Median household income in EGV is $71,834.
    Per capital income is $28,515.
    84.,68% of all households earn less than $75,000 per year.

    • There are 925 current retirees receiving a pension.
      Of those 925, 828 of them are greater than $50K/year. (I analyzed the 828)
      Of those 828 pensions, 730 are from $50-$99,000/year.
      Of those 828 pensions, 95 of them are from $100-$149,000/year.
      Of those 828 pensions, 3 of them are over $150,000/year.

      The average for the 828 pensions is $85,481/year.


    Social Security Average: $12,912
    Maximum Social Security One Can receive: $28,392

    Assume you pay property in taxes in Illinois and that 50% of your bill (approximately) goes toward education. Further, that your property tax bill is around $3,800 for a 3-bedroom, 2-bath home with a 1-car garage and no family room.

    How do these numbers hit you? "OMG!" or, "So what?" Thanks.

    Thanks!
    It would depend. What jobs did the 3 do? the 95? General teachers or administrators or friends of Daley? Since this is Chicago, teacher pensions is probably one of the least of your worries for wasted government monies.

    Also, what about other places? Do Naperville or Bolingbrook. Also what's Niles up to these days? That's where I'm from.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #4
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

    I worked for a large corporation very near Elk Grove Village. Some of the officers of that corporation lived there, but not the high paid ones. There is too much of a cross section of America there and too near the airport etc. So you might not see the highest pensions there. I seem to recall Deer Park as a place. Also there is such a thing as differed income. Differed income is not part of a pension, but can also be paid out in annual installments, tax avoidance you know. Differed income does not have to be revealed to the board, until maybe recently. Good luck on getting complete data. The mean and the median will be interesting numbers.

  5. #5
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

    what's the mean household income? mean income? compared to mean pension income?

  6. #6
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,106

    Re: Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

    At first glance, I see the below statement and think that the data may be suspect, if you are making a union v.s non-union argument.

    There are 925 current retirees receiving a pension.
    It would be easier for me to believe "There are 925 village retirees(that had been in a union)currently receiving a pension".

    Sorry if this is a pension discussion and not a union one.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

    So what. Firstly, it is unclear as to what jobs those folks actually had. Secondly, I fully support teachers... and police and firefighters getting top dollar regardless of the cost. No public sector jobs are more important to society.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I have a reputation here for being anti public-sector union - for supporting Scott Walker and his efforts to rein in unions - for thinking that teachers are overpaid and their pensions too generous. I live in Illinois. Illinois is entrenched Democratic. Our public pension unfunded liability is: $83 billion. That's full disclosure.

    I'm putting together an article for submission to a major Chicago newspaper and would like your opinion on your impression of these stats. This is the pension side. I'll be doing the salary side as well. (It's very difficult and time-consuming to gather the data, but the data as correct as humanly possible. Please assume it is for your vote.)

    Because it's very difficult to gather data, I've limited my research to one blue-collar community in suburban Chicago: Elk Grove Village, Illinois

    About Elk Grove Village

    Median household income in EGV is $71,834.
    Per capital income is $28,515.
    84.,68% of all households earn less than $75,000 per year.

    • There are 925 current retirees receiving a pension.
      Of those 925, 828 of them are greater than $50K/year. (I analyzed the 828)
      Of those 828 pensions, 730 are from $50-$99,000/year.
      Of those 828 pensions, 95 of them are from $100-$149,000/year.
      Of those 828 pensions, 3 of them are over $150,000/year.

      The average for the 828 pensions is $85,481/year.


    Social Security Average: $12,912
    Maximum Social Security One Can receive: $28,392

    Assume you pay property in taxes in Illinois and that 50% of your bill (approximately) goes toward education. Further, that your property tax bill is around $3,800 for a 3-bedroom, 2-bath home with a 1-car garage and no family room.

    How do these numbers hit you? "OMG!" or, "So what?" Thanks.

    Thanks!
    How many live in EGV?

    What are the sources of those pensions, ie, private sector retiree or public?

    How many of those receiving pensions are working a second job?

    How old are those recieving the pensions, or, probably more importantly, what was their age when they took them?

    Is it possible to determine what the future pension prospects of the currenly employed are, by comparison?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    So what. Firstly, it is unclear as to what jobs those folks actually had. Secondly, I fully support teachers... and police and firefighters getting top dollar regardless of the cost. No public sector jobs are more important to society.
    Mayor Snorkum fully supports those people having access to 401(k)s so they can finance their own retirements, just like the majority of the people paying the taxes to keep them employed.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Are these stats "OMG?" Or, "So what?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    Mayor Snorkum fully supports those people having access to 401(k)s so they can finance their own retirements, just like the majority of the people paying the taxes to keep them employed.
    Good for Mayor Snorkum.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •