View Poll Results: Will you go see the Atlas Shrugged movie?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell, yes

    16 32.65%
  • Maybe

    9 18.37%
  • No

    24 48.98%
  • Duh!

    0 0%
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 232

Thread: Atlas Shrugged movie

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Atlas Shrugged movie

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    There's no such thing as pure capitalism; it is an ideal that doesn't exist in reality. Any capitalist system requires government support to sustain it.
    And thus is the poster's public school origins exposed.

    no one said anything about anarchy, dude.

    Everyone knows that capitalism requires a functional civil society to operate in. How do you think the concept of property is defined if there's no government?

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Atlas Shrugged movie

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Can you site an example? The government has enacted anti-monopoly laws to ensure that we have true freedom and not unrestrained capitalism. Under such a system the largest corporation could buy out competition and be the only supplier. The US has anti-monopoly laws to protect competition and prevent monopolies. AT&T was once a massive telecommunications monopoly that was split up due to US monopoly laws.

    Much of the arguments to counter what you post are presented in Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal.

    That's another Ayn Rand book you've decided you won't read....

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Atlas Shrugged movie

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Lachean: I think we're all interested in your take on how there would be no monopolies with a minimalist government. Saying that "no monopoly has existed without gov't support" is not the same as saying that monopolies wouldn't exist in the absence of government. My personal opinion is that anti-trust laws are there for a pretty damn good reason.
    Yes. They exist to ensure the government can coerce a large business when it wants, like when that Janet Barbeque in Waco Reno decided to shake down Microsoft and Bill Gates by abusing the anti-trust laws. All that went away as soon as Gates agreed to establish a left-wing-only charity fund.

  4. #104
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atlas Shrugged movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    You should still read Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead, just so you can see what drives the pinkos crazy.
    Is it the terrible prose, the painful love scenes, or the overwrought plots that drive us pinkos crazy?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #105
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Atlas Shrugged movie

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    This is a strawman. You are attributing an argument to me that I never made.
    You do not desire people to hold the needs of others above their own? You might want to re-read your own posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    We are discussing ethics, not economics. Rarely is a productive economic theory entirely ethical. But a quick note, there's no indication that we are better off economically when we only act in our own self-interest, or at the very least none that you have supplied.
    We are discussing ideas, we are discussing whatever we want to discuss, and nothing I mentioned was irrelevant to what it was addressing.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    I really don't know what this is in reference to.
    Under the current system (reality) we all benefit from everyone acting in their own rational self interest because our neighbors take care of their own problems, and they do not become ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook
    As I said, it is unethical for the same reason as racism, even if through the course of it you do something ethically good, you are still doing so for unethical reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean
    What a blatant contradiction in your logic: ethically bad = unethical
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Call it what you will. Immoral, unethical, etc.

    I don't see where I have contradicted myself. Please quote it and explain why it is a contradiction. I have done so in explaining the illogicality of considering racism unethical but Objectivism to be an ethically valid set of ideals.
    Something cannot be both ethically good and unethical. Now please address post #91
    Last edited by Spartacus FPV; 04-05-11 at 05:01 PM.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Atlas Shrugged movie

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    How? Government was the one that stopped it due to reform and changes.
    And the first thing that happened after government fixed everything was the Great Depression, because government is incompetent and wrecking things is what government does best.

    Before the governemnt stepped in to save us, the economy ran well. Afterwards it never has.

  7. #107
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atlas Shrugged movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    And thus is the poster's public school origins exposed.

    no one said anything about anarchy, dude.

    Everyone knows that capitalism requires a functional civil society to operate in. How do you think the concept of property is defined if there's no government?
    Apparently his public school education was enough that he managed to craft an argument that went entirely over your head.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Atlas Shrugged movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Is it the terrible prose, the painful love scenes, or the overwrought plots that drive us pinkos crazy?
    It's the realistic renderings of Obama as Wesley Mooch, IMO.

  9. #109
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Atlas Shrugged movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    Yes. They exist to ensure the government can coerce a large business when it wants, like when that Janet Barbeque in Waco Reno decided to shake down Microsoft and Bill Gates by abusing the anti-trust laws. All that went away as soon as Gates agreed to establish a left-wing-only charity fund.
    that's how it happened, huh?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #110
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atlas Shrugged movie

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    It's the realistic renderings of Obama as Wesley Mooch, IMO.
    The politics is not the problem with the book, it is the horrible writing.

    By the way, I think it is time to break out the classic chart:

    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •