View Poll Results: Would You Support Legislation that Would Ban Burning/Destroying the Quran?

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 3.67%
  • No

    103 94.50%
  • I don't know

    2 1.83%
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 157

Thread: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And yet by and large people have stated that they don't believe those things should be made illegal.

    This coming from the man that's advocating we, in this free country, ban the burning of a book.

    So its okay to burn some religious texts, but not others. Its okay to burn the flag even though that could incite violence, but its not okay to burn the quran because that might incite violence.

    Your argument might have merit if it was logical, consistent, or constitutional.
    ROFL
    It's not ok to use freedom of speech to cause foreigners to want o kill us. If you want to burn a Koran do it in the bathroom. ROFL The bathroom is also a good place to cry about your precious right to say anything you want to say no matter the harm.

    ROFL

  2. #122
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

    The most we can do is reprimand him.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  3. #123
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    ROFL
    It's not ok to use freedom of speech to cause foreigners to want o kill us. If you want to burn a Koran do it in the bathroom. ROFL The bathroom is also a good place to cry about your precious right to say anything you want to say no matter the harm.

    ROFL
    Your words on an internet forum MIGHT cause some foriegner to want to kill someone.

    You should obviously be banned from the internet because it MIGHT cause a foreigner to do harm.



    Your argument is so illogical and out of bounds with constitutional law that its almost makes me wonder if you're just trying for poorly done satire then making an actual honest attempt at an argument here.

  4. #124
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

    Come to think of it, banning the burning of the koran would be a violation of church and state. It would be the government making a law respecting a religion (Islam) and deciding that it is illegal to burn the koran because Muslims believe it is holy. This could also fall under the same category as blasphemy laws which would also be a violation of separation of church and state. Of course it would also be a violation of our freedom of speech.
    Last edited by digsbe; 04-05-11 at 07:51 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #125
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

    It's my book and I own it. I'll be damned before I let the government tell me what I can do with my property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #126
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    ROFL
    It's not ok to use freedom of speech to cause foreigners to want o kill us. If you want to burn a Koran do it in the bathroom. ROFL The bathroom is also a good place to cry about your precious right to say anything you want to say no matter the harm.

    ROFL
    Well there are limits on free speech such as yelling fire in a theater. This is not however the case. We as a country should not let what amounts to threats dictate our law and cause freedoms we have fought and died over to be relinquished because of foreign entities.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 04-05-11 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #127
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    What if a child was taught to be hateful and murderous. Would his killing spree be his fault alone?
    It depends on the mental conditioning. You would have to talk to someone who knows more about legal/psychiatric issues, but the people who did these killings had their mental facaulties, and were capable of controlling their actions. Mental conditioning is far different than most speech.

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    If there is no other purpose than pissing off foreigners then it should be banned. It is the governments job to pick our fights, not any insividuals.
    So should we put women in Burqas, deny the Holocaust happened, and ban a whole load of other things because that just pisses a lot of foreigners off? We have the right to freedom of speech. If they don't like it. They can bite me.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  8. #128
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    Should we send the bill for the damage caused by your insuits to your home or to your office? Could we arrange for you to meet the families of the soldiers who were killed defending your right to free speach so you can thank them?
    No, the people who caused the damage can pay for it and the people who killed the soldiers can be faced with the families. Anyone can take undue offense at anything. If I take undue offense at your impertinent questions above, riot, pillage and murder as a result, do we send the bill to you, and ask if you'd like to visit the families of my victims? There really is no difference.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Well there are limits on free speech such as yelling fire in a theater. This is not however the case. We as a country should not let what amounts to threats dictate our law and cause freedoms we have fought and died over to be relinquished because of foreign entities.
    Why can't anybody yell :FIRE" in a crowded theater? Is it because it might cause a stampeed and people might get hurt?

    You can't burn a Koran becuse there is a liklyhood that people might get hurt.

    It's really the same.

    They're not really threatening us. They're just reacting to someone yelling fire in a theater.
    This is the way they are. Is it really so important that we make them more like us? Why can't we just refrain from insulting them to the point of violence?

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Should Congress Ban Burning of the Quran

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    No, the people who caused the damage can pay for it and the people who killed the soldiers can be faced with the families. Anyone can take undue offense at anything. If I take undue offense at your impertinent questions above, riot, pillage and murder as a result, do we send the bill to you, and ask if you'd like to visit the families of my victims? There really is no difference.
    Isn't the person who caused the damage always the one who started it? Those people were minding their own business when someone in th US infuriated them. I'm not going to tell them to stop being infuriated, I'm going to not infuriate them.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •