View Poll Results: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Any religious private school that included religious education/indoctrination.

    0 0%
  • Specific religious private schools that included religious education/indoctrination.

    1 3.33%
  • Religious private school that only use tax dollars for secular education.

    1 3.33%
  • Any religious private school whose education is secular.

    2 6.67%
  • Non-religious private schools.

    6 20.00%
  • I support school vouchers regardless of the type of school.

    8 26.67%
  • I do not support school voucher at all regardless of the private school.

    13 43.33%
  • other/I do not know

    4 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 108

Thread: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

  1. #31
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Private schools AND public schools have turned out educated kids from poor neighborhoods. Examples of both exist, which is why there is no reason to scrap public education.
    Ah, but give me a reason to keep them.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #32
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,908

    Re: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I oppose voucher programs for the reasons already mentioned in this thread. Public money should be kept for public schools, and not used for private schools.
    Your wrong, the private/charter schools will become the public schools. The money would be the same except people will have a more successful system and have the choice of school they would like to attend.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Just because it works in some places doesn't make successful. And off course private and charter schools fail... it's a business and businesses fail, but a private a charter school has 10X more motivation to do well and stay in business, because they are reliant on the customer bass.
    And vouchers piss off that customer base. People who pay a lot of money to send their kids to private schools where other kids can pay less with vouchers will move their kids to private schools that don't accept vouchers, esp. if the new kids bring in new problems. Then the problem will start all over again.

    It's just like when states move people from housing projects into the suburbs...the suburbanites move to different suburbs or back to the city and the old suburbs decrease in quality.

    Therefore, the better solution is to focus on improving ALL schools that way nobody will even want a voucher.

    The only reason charter/private schools fail today is because the public school system still exists. And it's okay for a private/charter school to fail, it's actually a good thing, because you have weeded out the bad school/business that has the bad policies, and the better schools will survive. Since people will have a choice you can transfer to a school you think is better if a private or charter school is crap.
    The problem is that competition only works when parents know that they can compete and when parents have the desire to compete. A huge problem in low-income schools (where the worst schools usually are) is that parents aren't going put forth the effort to compete and their children will still be stuck with the crappy schools.

    My main point is this: We need to improve all schools so that no student would even have reason to use a voucher.

  4. #34
    User OhReally?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-10-11 @ 01:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    129

    Re: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Your wrong, the private/charter schools will become the public schools. The money would be the same except people will have a more successful system and have the choice of school they would like to attend.
    This logic is only correct if the private/charter schools have the same requirements in terms of admission.

  5. #35
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,908

    Re: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    And vouchers piss off that customer base. People who pay a lot of money to send their kids to private schools where other kids can pay less with vouchers will move their kids to private schools that don't accept vouchers, esp. if the new kids bring in new problems. Then the problem will start all over again.

    It's just like when states move people from housing projects into the suburbs...the suburbanites move to different suburbs or back to the city and the old suburbs decrease in quality.

    Therefore, the better solution is to focus on improving ALL schools that way nobody will even want a voucher.


    The problem is that competition only works when parents know that they can compete and when parents have the desire to compete. A huge problem in low-income schools (where the worst schools usually are) is that parents aren't going put forth the effort to compete and their children will still be stuck with the crappy schools.

    My main point is this: We need to improve all schools so that no student would even have reason to use a voucher.
    There will always be richer people who can send their kids to richer schools. (there will still be a market for schools that accept voucher's)

    The poorer kids STILL can go to the school of their choice, there will STILL be the motivation to be the best school. The new public schools will be in competition to be the best. When there is a crappy school... why would you send your kid there?
    Last edited by celticwar17; 04-01-11 at 05:28 PM.

  6. #36
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,908

    Re: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhReally? View Post
    This logic is only correct if the private/charter schools have the same requirements in terms of admission.
    No, there would be a separate market between schools who accept any voucher and school who accept the voucher +more money. There will STILL be a school who will want to be better then that other school to get more students= more voucher's= more money.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Ah, but give me a reason to keep them.
    Complete privatization of schools is just as bad as having all public schools. There needs to be a balance so that students don't just become corporate or government tools. Part of me wants the Republican dream of all privatization to work so that you guys can see how horrible it is, but then I remember I care more about education than B.S..

  8. #38
    User OhReally?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-10-11 @ 01:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    129

    Re: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    No, there would be a separate market between schools who accept any voucher and school who accept the voucher +more money. There will STILL be a school who will want to be better then that other school to get more students= more voucher's= more money.
    I think you're missing the argument. The argument is that private/charter schools do not HAVE to take a student yet we have mandatory education laws. This means that we would be creating a class of student unwanted by the higher achieving schools because they take more time and effort. This means that the higher levels of achievement is an illusion as the lower achieving students are not factored in.

  9. #39
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Your wrong, the private/charter schools will become the public schools. The money would be the same except people will have a more successful system and have the choice of school they would like to attend.
    No, actually they would not become public schools, unless you think that they will suddenly be under public control, which would not be the case.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: What kinds of private schools would you support vouchers for?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    There will always be richer people who can send their kids to richer schools. (there will still be a market for schools that accept voucher's)

    The poorer kids STILL can go to the school of their choice, there will STILL be the motivation to be the best school. The new public schools will be in competition to be the best. When there is a crappy school... why would you send your kid there?
    The problem is private schools run on two things: 1.Money 2.Demand for Quality.

    When both things are in play, competition will work and everything that you say will happen. School quality will increase.

    However, because so many poor parents aren't going to demand quality, the not-so-nice private schools will go for the money without the quality and we'll be stuck where we are now - poor kids with crappy parents get crappy education. Education will become a for-profit industry where people who have no actual interest in educating will get involved and be able to take advantage of students whose parents aren't active enough to demand quality.

    The problem of education is that wealthy/middle class parents are more likely to demand a good education for their students, while low-income parents are not. Unless they (including people like me and my parents) demand the same quality for low-income schools, the problem will persist whether it's in a wholly public or private system. I'm arguing that we should just end this problem now by making government take care of all students and schools equally.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •