View Poll Results: Who won the Vietnam War?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • The French

    2 1.28%
  • The British

    1 0.64%
  • The Americans

    9 5.77%
  • The Canadians

    2 1.28%
  • The Chinese

    4 2.56%
  • The Russians

    4 2.56%
  • The Japanese

    0 0%
  • The Vietnamese

    71 45.51%
  • No one

    44 28.21%
  • Other

    19 12.18%
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 407

Thread: Who won the Vietnam War?

  1. #391
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    I have clicked on "the Russians". And regretted it a moment later. As a Pole, I have...shall we say...reservations about many things Russian.

    Still, equating the Soviet totalitarian monstrosity that succeeded in installing a puppet regime in Vietnam back in those days with the whole of the Russian nation is most unfair: Russians had lost more people to the Communist Moloch, in proportion, than almost any other ethnic group, outside of Cambodia....

    P.S. "A goal of the unified Vietnam", seriously? "Unified" by a force that was as hostile to everything distinctly Vietnamese as to the evil, evil French or American influences? It was not a unification. It was a violent rape by an imperialism much worse and much more debasing than anything that happened before.

  2. #392
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    I have clicked on "the Russians". And regretted it a moment later. As a Pole, I have...shall we say...reservations about many things Russian.

    Still, equating the Soviet totalitarian monstrosity that succeeded in installing a puppet regime in Vietnam back in those days with the whole of the Russian nation is most unfair: Russians had lost more people to the Communist Moloch, in proportion, than almost any other ethnic group, outside of Cambodia....

    P.S. "A goal of the unified Vietnam", seriously? "Unified" by a force that was as hostile to everything distinctly Vietnamese as to the evil, evil French or American influences? It was not a unification. It was a violent rape by an imperialism much worse and much more debasing than anything that happened before.
    I was thinking of voting Russia. It was the Soviet Union who armed the north, who probably manned the air defenses of Hanoi and Haiphong.

    It was all of the Vietnamese people who lost in 1975.

    The Vietnam war was just one battle of the Cold War.

    The West didn't win every battle during the Cold War. But in the end we prevailed.

    Prime Minster Margret Thatcher was the one who originally said "Ronald Reagan won the Cold War." But there were many others who should also get credit, the United Kingdom, the people of Poland even the Pope played a role along with those who served during the Vietnam war helped in winning the Cold War.

  3. #393
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I was pretty shocked at how Capitalistic Vietnam was, in all honesty...
    Given that we went there to fight Communism, and lost, it is quite a surprise, isn't it?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #394
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    I was thinking of voting Russia. It was the Soviet Union who armed the north, who probably manned the air defenses of Hanoi and Haiphong.

    It was all of the Vietnamese people who lost in 1975.

    The Vietnam war was just one battle of the Cold War.

    The West didn't win every battle during the Cold War. But in the end we prevailed.

    Prime Minster Margret Thatcher was the one who originally said "Ronald Reagan won the Cold War." But there were many others who should also get credit, the United Kingdom, the people of Poland even the Pope played a role along with those who served during the Vietnam war helped in winning the Cold War.
    Agreed, but will add that it was also the former Soviet leaders who said Ronald Reagan won the Cold War. Only the leftists in the western democracies deny it.

  5. #395
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Nixon was elected to end it fast. And he did.
    ...after sabotaging the Paris peace talks in order to win the election.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  6. #396
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    ...after sabotaging the Paris peace talks in order to win the election.
    Lets not forget John Kerry who interfered with the Paris Peace Talks and met with the enemy in Paris and delayed the final agreement for days. How many more names went up on the "Wall" because of Kerry ? Who did end up being the last American soldier to be killed in Vietnam that Kerry kept talking about ?

  7. #397
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Vietnam was won by the Vietnamese Communists even before we got involved, as soon as France left. The United States should never have made itself a supporter of, and a successor to, French imperialism in Indochina. The untrammeled brutality with which the war was conducted only compounds the fact that we made this huge blunder.

    One of the things I'm sick of hearing, however, is how all of our modern wars are Vietnam 2.0. Afghanistan isn't Vietnam, people. Neither is Iraq. It seems that the antiwar movement, proud of having been vindicated after rightfully and justly protesting our intervention in the Indochina quagmire, has now lazily decided to attach the Vietnam label to any and all conflicts that don't provide a quick and easy victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  8. #398
    Advisor Amanda1858's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    592

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    The Vietnamese Communists won this war. Maybe a better question would be: Why was the United States there in the first place?
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"---Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  9. #399
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    The leadership of the North Vietnamese "Communist" Party won. The Vietnamese people certainly did not win. From 1975 to 1986, not only were there widespread persecutions, but the economy sucked. Doi moi has helped the economy tremendously, but they are still a dictatorship, and treat their people poorly.
    I disagree. The Vietnamese reunited their country and threw finally the foreigners out after 50 years. They got their country back from foreign invaders. That's is what the French were AND we were.....foreign invaders

  10. #400
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Lets not forget John Kerry who interfered with the Paris Peace Talks and met with the enemy in Paris and delayed the final agreement for days. How many more names went up on the "Wall" because of Kerry ? Who did end up being the last American soldier to be killed in Vietnam that Kerry kept talking about ?
    The big thing was when Kissinger gave a backdoor to Nixon and to the South Vietnamese, which led the latter to reject the peace accords entirely. The ~27,000 names on the wall are because of Kissinger's and Nixon's manipulations, not because of an activist soldier.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •