View Poll Results: Who won the Vietnam War?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • The French

    2 1.28%
  • The British

    1 0.64%
  • The Americans

    9 5.77%
  • The Canadians

    2 1.28%
  • The Chinese

    4 2.56%
  • The Russians

    4 2.56%
  • The Japanese

    0 0%
  • The Vietnamese

    71 45.51%
  • No one

    44 28.21%
  • Other

    19 12.18%
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 407

Thread: Who won the Vietnam War?

  1. #31
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It's a bit of a myth that we weren't allowed to fight to win. We dropped a ton of ordance on VN. We killed a lot of people. What was required to pacify the country would have beens omething close to genocide. What you spend "to win" has to be in someway related to need. VN held no importance that would justify such an expenditure of life. The blame lies with those who took us to war there for no real reason or justification. Much like Iraq, we need just cause to spend lives and should never do so with out that cause. Blaming those for opposing such a poorly reasoned effort is kind of like your mom for you being a drug adict because she told you drugs were bad.
    It's not that we weren't allowed to fight to win, but the tactics being employed were too ****ty to win. It's what happens when politicians try to play tactician. Defensive strategies are rarely successful.

  2. #32
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Depends on your point of view.

    From a military point of view, the United States won the war. The North Vietnamese Communists certainly achieved their objective of conquering the south and creating a unified Vietnam, ruled by the Communist party, but not because of anything they did, or anything they accomplished. You could almost say they got it on accident, because they military speaking, they got their asses handed to them everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
    From a purely military sense, the United States won every battle and every tactical engagement. We didn't win "the war." If you're the New England Patriots and you win every regular season game, that perfect record doesn't mean **** if you lose to the Giants in the SuperBowl. So whether or not the US won in a military sense is irrelevant.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #33
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    From a purely military sense, the United States won every battle and every tactical engagement. We didn't win "the war." If you're the New England Patriots and you win every regular season game, that perfect record doesn't mean **** if you lose to the Giants in the SuperBowl. So whether or not the US won in a military sense is irrelevant.
    From a purely military sense, we did win the war. We won the super bowl of the war, too, which in my opinion would be the Easter Offensive. It wasn't until we left, that the North was able to launch another offensive, two years later. The only reason that offensive was successful, is because the ARVN just plain ran out of beans, bullets and gas.

    Militarily, we won the war and politically speaking, we quit the war. At no time were we ever forced into any position by the North Vietnamese Army.

  4. #34
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Vietnam was lost before the war even started. In 1945, the U.S. decided to throw its sanity out the window and decided to give Vietnam back to France as a colony. That seriously undermined our credibility as anything other that imperialist hypocrites, while simultaneously requiring that the Vietnamese turn to the USSR for weapons. In 1954 when Ho Chi Minh manged to win, the U.S. once again managed to screw it up horribly. The sensible policy would be to treat Ho like another Tito, which was especially credible considering his primary fear was the Chinese at that point. Instead we split the country in half, installed a puppet and ignored the mandated national referendum because we knew Diem would lose.

    By the time the actual war started, it was already pointless. The South was filled with corrupt idiots who only cared about grabbing U.S. aid for personal power. The North had ruthless nationalists determined to reunite the country regardless of losses. China also prevented any serious action against the north. It was essentially like playing football when all you can do is play defense and your teammates don't give a damn about the game.

    Domino theory ultimately proved to be one of the most moronic ideas of all time. It not only failed to prevent the spread of communism, it actively promoted it. War instability and the need for soviet weapons all made communism far more appealing than simply leaving the region alone.

  5. #35
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    From a purely military sense, we did win the war. We won the super bowl of the war, too, which in my opinion would be the Easter Offensive. It wasn't until we left, that the North was able to launch another offensive, two years later. The only reason that offensive was successful, is because the ARVN just plain ran out of beans, bullets and gas.

    Militarily, we won the war and politically speaking, we quit the war. At no time were we ever forced into any position by the North Vietnamese Army.
    All i'm saying is that it's irrelevant if you play hard and outscore the opponent for three quarters and then quit in the fourth. Whether or not the NVA "forced" the US into quitting doesn't make damned bit of difference. Our Vietnam policy was doomed from the day the West decided to hand Vietnam to the French. The Easter Offensive didn't mean jack **** in the grand scheme of things, because that happened in the third quarter.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 03-22-11 at 06:26 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #36
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    rolleyes Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Believe it or not, America just isn't able to impose her will on any situation and make it happen the way she wants to. The are limits to American power, and there are limits to armed force. At the end of the day, the North Vietnamese should be given some damn credit. Their will to fight outlasted ours, simply because they had more at stake than we did.

    As for Iraq and Afghanistan, those wars are dragging out because nation-building and counterinsurgency are simply really hard.



    100% support is a bit much to ask, but I believe wars are only truly worth it if the vast majority backs it. A benchmark for whether or not a war is worth fighting, or if it is a quote-unquote "good" war, is to ask yourself if you yourself would be willing to go fight, or if you would send your child or a loved one to go fight. Given a particular war, if you ask all Americans the above questions and the vast majority answer "yes," then it is a war worth fighting and a cause worth dying for.



    The liberals and the media don't make or craft policy. The POLICYMAKERS make policy. A stupid war is a stupid war, and a bad idea is a bad idea. Blame the people who came up with the bad idea, not the people who criticize it because they recognize it for what it is. The media does play a role in how public opinion about the war is shaped, but they don't dictate how the war is executed. To blame the media and the left for the failure that was Vietnam is ridiculous.
    I'm sure your aware that America was not able to target main strategic points in all these wars due to our war policies. If we treated a war like a war and not pretend it's like backyard wrestling with penalty boxes, we would have won and with very little sacrifice.
    My girlfriend is in the Air-force and she sat in on a Vietnam veteran-pilot guest speaker and he basically talked the whole time on how the Vietnamese knew exactly what all our war restrictions were. In response they would stock weapons in hospitals and dams because they knew we were not allowed to strike them. As a result more lives were lost and we stayed there for 7 years.
    My father was in the Vietnam war and he signed up himself as soon as he knew they needed people. Right out of high-school he was going to college, but he stopped, all for his country and went into the Air force; spent 2 years there while his best friends died. He was welcomed back to the country with spits in the face and being called a baby killer.
    It is widely misinterpreted that there was not a lot of support for the war. Actually, the majority of the educated people in America did support it.

    The media was the sole manipulator showing people for the first time the horrors of war. This war was no different then any other in it's gruesomeness, but since this is the first "living room" war it showed people who were completely ignorant and innocent to what war truly means, and manipulated people against it. The emotion driven from the media clouded the values of the American people to back their soldiers up.

  7. #37
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    I'm sure your aware that America was not able to target main strategic points in all these wars due to our war policies. If we treated a war like a war and not pretend it's like backyard wrestling with penalty boxes, we would have won and with very little sacrifice.
    My girlfriend is in the Air-force and she sat in on a Vietnam veteran-pilot guest speaker and he basically talked the whole time on how the Vietnamese knew exactly what all our war restrictions were. In response they would stock weapons in hospitals and dams because they knew we were not allowed to strike them. As a result more lives were lost and we stayed there for 7 years.
    My father was in the Vietnam war and he signed up himself as soon as he knew they needed people. Right out of high-school he was going to college, but he stopped, all for his country and went into the Air force; spent 2 years there while his best friends died. He was welcomed back to the country with spits in the face and being called a baby killer.
    It is widely misinterpreted that there was not a lot of support for the war. Actually, the majority of the educated people in America did support it.

    The media was the sole manipulator showing people for the first time the horrors of war. This war was no different then any other in it's gruesomeness, but since this is the first "living room" war it showed people who were completely ignorant and innocent to what war truly means, and manipulated people against it. The emotion driven from the media clouded the values of the American people to back their soldiers up.
    Sure, I can agree with some of that. None of that has any bearing on whether or not a war is worth fighting in the first place, which is my personal concern.

    Edit: I wouldn't call showing images of the war to ordinary Americans "manipulating" them to be against the war, rather it is as you put it, to show them war's true nature. It is horrible, it is terrifying, it is bloody. Showing someone the truth is not "manipulating" them, it is the truth. Those images on a television screen should be a lesson to all Americans that war is not pretty, and that military force should not be casually deployed (because armed forces is never okay unless it's the last resort) simply because some policymaker thinks it's his business what form of government the Vietnamese people want for themselves.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 03-22-11 at 06:39 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #38
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    All i'm saying is that it's irrelevant if you play hard and outscore the opponent for three quarters and then quit in the fourth. Whether or not the NVA "forced" the US into quitting doesn't make damned bit of difference. Our Vietnam policy was doomed from the day the West decided to hand Vietnam to the French. The Easter Offensive didn't mean jack **** in the grand scheme of things, because that happened in the third quarter.
    But, it was still the last offensive the North launched and they lost their asses. At no point, did the North have the upper hand, militarily over U.S. forces.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's not that we weren't allowed to fight to win, but the tactics being employed were too ****ty to win. It's what happens when politicians try to play tactician. Defensive strategies are rarely successful.
    Not sure that is true. Can you be more specific?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #40
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    I'm sure your aware that America was not able to target main strategic points in all these wars due to our war policies. If we treated a war like a war and not pretend it's like backyard wrestling with penalty boxes, we would have won and with very little sacrifice.
    My girlfriend is in the Air-force and she sat in on a Vietnam veteran-pilot guest speaker and he basically talked the whole time on how the Vietnamese knew exactly what all our war restrictions were. In response they would stock weapons in hospitals and dams because they knew we were not allowed to strike them. As a result more lives were lost and we stayed there for 7 years.
    My father was in the Vietnam war and he signed up himself as soon as he knew they needed people. Right out of high-school he was going to college, but he stopped, all for his country and went into the Air force; spent 2 years there while his best friends died. He was welcomed back to the country with spits in the face and being called a baby killer.
    It is widely misinterpreted that there was not a lot of support for the war. Actually, the majority of the educated people in America did support it.

    The media was the sole manipulator showing people for the first time the horrors of war. This war was no different then any other in it's gruesomeness, but since this is the first "living room" war it showed people who were completely ignorant and innocent to what war truly means, and manipulated people against it. The emotion driven from the media clouded the values of the American people to back their soldiers up.
    The media, as a whole, was against the war and they used their power of the print to undermine the war at every turn. The unfortunate part, is that they probably succeeded in extending the war by 5 years and cause South Vietnam to be overrun by the North. Walter Cronkite is probably one of the biggest traiterous mother****ers in the history of the United States.

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •