View Poll Results: Who won the Vietnam War?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • The French

    2 1.28%
  • The British

    1 0.64%
  • The Americans

    9 5.77%
  • The Canadians

    2 1.28%
  • The Chinese

    4 2.56%
  • The Russians

    4 2.56%
  • The Japanese

    0 0%
  • The Vietnamese

    71 45.51%
  • No one

    44 28.21%
  • Other

    19 12.18%
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 407

Thread: Who won the Vietnam War?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt View Post
    I would vote that the socialists in the U.S. won.
    That's really a dumb statement.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #22
    User jamesthebond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Last Seen
    04-07-14 @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    61

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    This question was brought up in another thread about Libya which I don't want to derail any further; but I find it interesting. It appears that many people have a different perspective and I find it funny. So please, cast your vote and if you are enclined explain your choice.

    I have voted the Vietnamese. The goal of their war was to reunite Vietnam and it was achieved.
    A very strange poll. So if North Korea had won in Korean war it would have been a victory of Koreans? Of course, Communists won the war in Vietnam.

    And what sense in listing nations? As well Gonduras or Serbia could be in the list.
    Last edited by jamesthebond; 03-22-11 at 05:16 PM.

  3. #23
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    What are people on today?
    Harry Turtledove.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #24
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    The vietnam war "COULD" have been won swiftly if the troops were allowed to win it. The war dragged out 7 yrs and killed over 50,000 and maimed so many more because the democrats didnt have the will to allow us to win, because of the left wing cowards in this country who were using nam as an excuse to get high, create the aids virus and be irresponsible.
    Nixon got elected and ended the war in three days by ordering B52s to bomb Hanoi...the north surrendered. LBJ could have done the same thing 7 yrs earlier..but he had no testes.
    Whichever poster said the Left won and america lost...was spot on.

  5. #25
    User jamesthebond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Last Seen
    04-07-14 @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    61

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    create the aids virus and be irresponsible.
    Why do you think that it was Democrats who created aids?

  6. #26
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Well, I actually WAS being sarcastic. If a war doesn't have the public's full support behind it, it likely isn't a very good policy decision. In which case the blame lies with the policymakers, not the people who are against the war, because if you fight stupid wars there NECESSARILY WILL BE PEOPLE OUT THERE TO PROTEST IT. Vietnam was a stupid war. The war was lost from the moment JFK decided to become involved. Even if we had "won" the war, we still would have lost because the sacrifice simply would not have been worth it. It was simply a mistake to get involved in the first place, and everything that the policymakers decided to do after that simply compounded their original error.
    i know you were, which is why i mentioned it. And i just simply disagree with you. The sacrifice would have been very little if the American's were actually able to fight to win. We suffer the same problem's with the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. NO war is going to have the public's full support, especially the counter culture of the hippies who lived in Nitrous Oxide Land would oppose any war no matter what. Liberals/Media war policies and rules lost us the war and dragged it out for 7 years killing more American lives, pure and simple.
    Last edited by celticwar17; 03-22-11 at 05:43 PM.

  7. #27
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    The sacrifice would have been very little if the American's were actually able to fight to win. We suffer the same problem's with the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
    Believe it or not, America just isn't able to impose her will on any situation and make it happen the way she wants to. The are limits to American power, and there are limits to armed force. At the end of the day, the North Vietnamese should be given some damn credit. Their will to fight outlasted ours, simply because they had more at stake than we did.

    As for Iraq and Afghanistan, those wars are dragging out because nation-building and counterinsurgency are simply really hard.

    NO war is going to have the public's full support, especially the counter culture of the hippies who lived in Nitrous Oxide Land would oppose any war no matter what.
    100% support is a bit much to ask, but I believe wars are only truly worth it if the vast majority backs it. A benchmark for whether or not a war is worth fighting, or if it is a quote-unquote "good" war, is to ask yourself if you yourself would be willing to go fight, or if you would send your child or a loved one to go fight. Given a particular war, if you ask all Americans the above questions and the vast majority answer "yes," then it is a war worth fighting and a cause worth dying for.

    Liberals/Media war policies and rules lost us the war and dragged it out for 7 years killing more American lives, pure and simple.
    The liberals and the media don't make or craft policy. The POLICYMAKERS make policy. A stupid war is a stupid war, and a bad idea is a bad idea. Blame the people who came up with the bad idea, not the people who criticize it because they recognize it for what it is. The media does play a role in how public opinion about the war is shaped, but they don't dictate how the war is executed. To blame the media and the left for the failure that was Vietnam is ridiculous.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 03-22-11 at 05:58 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #28
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Thats not so true. The North Vietnamese were bigger allies with the USSR than the Chinese, and during the Sino-Soviet split chose to ally with the USSR instead. China invaded North Vietnam in 1979 and was soundly defeated. Of course China helped out North Vietnam during the war because it wanted to get America out and in the early parts of the war the Chinese Soviet relations were pretty good, but since Vietnam became dependant on Russia and not China like North Korea had, it wasn't an ideal end.

    I guess that's why the North Vietnamese used more Chinese weapons than Soviet weapons.

  9. #29
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Depends on your point of view.

    From a military point of view, the United States won the war. The North Vietnamese Communists certainly achieved their objective of conquering the south and creating a unified Vietnam, ruled by the Communist party, but not because of anything they did, or anything they accomplished. You could almost say they got it on accident, because they military speaking, they got their asses handed to them everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    It's a bit of a myth that we weren't allowed to fight to win. We dropped a ton of ordance on VN. We killed a lot of people. What was required to pacify the country would have beens omething close to genocide. What you spend "to win" has to be in someway related to need. VN held no importance that would justify such an expenditure of life. The blame lies with those who took us to war there for no real reason or justification. Much like Iraq, we need just cause to spend lives and should never do so with out that cause. Blaming those for opposing such a poorly reasoned effort is kind of like your mom for you being a drug adict because she told you drugs were bad.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •