View Poll Results: Who won the Vietnam War?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • The French

    2 1.28%
  • The British

    1 0.64%
  • The Americans

    9 5.77%
  • The Canadians

    2 1.28%
  • The Chinese

    4 2.56%
  • The Russians

    4 2.56%
  • The Japanese

    0 0%
  • The Vietnamese

    71 45.51%
  • No one

    44 28.21%
  • Other

    19 12.18%
Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 407

Thread: Who won the Vietnam War?

  1. #131
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Many of the responses cause me to wonder...... at conservative insitutions of higher learning, do they teach courses in actual History or do they just rename them Rightist Ideology?
    i couldn't tell you; i went to a thoroughly left-wing institution; which had the benefit of teaching me to becoming self-educating.

    UPSIDE: our new school president is a former Commandant.



    wait a minute; aren't you the history teacher that didn't even know that FDR had destroyed food?
    Last edited by cpwill; 03-23-11 at 08:36 AM.

  2. #132
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Really? What did we win?
    a reflexive fear of engagement, destruction of a critical portion of American will and confidence in the Cold War, political power... the biggest portion of the victory was mooted when the USSR fell.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post

    Really? What did we win?
    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post

    a reflexive fear of engagement...
    Former President Clinton proved the absurdity of that by being the president who deployed troops more times than any other president.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post

    ... destruction of a critical portion of American will ...
    The American people proved the absurdity of that when we rallied behind Former President Bush's invasion of Afghanistan following 9.11.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post

    ... and confidence in the Cold War ...
    The fall of South Vietnam to the Communists caused that -- and that was inevitable whenever we left.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    i couldn't tell you; i went to a thoroughly left-wing institution; which had the benefit of teaching me to becoming self-educating.

    UPSIDE: our new school president is a former Commandant.



    wait a minute; aren't you the history teacher that didn't even know that FDR had destroyed food?
    Isn't the doctor who treats himself someone who has a fool for a patient? Seeking affirmation in everything only shows the strength of ones onw bias.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    American forces never lost a significant battle in Vietnam. We were well on our way to victory when we abandoned the campaign and our allies due to political pressure and domestic unrest.

    We didn't lose. We quit. And frankly, as far as I am concerned, that is more shameful.
    When you're digging a whole, sometimes the best solution is to stop digging.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #136
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    America lost the Vietnam war because of overreach. Not only were we trying to handle Vietnam, we were also heavily involved in guerrilla warfare in West Africa and South America. We lost mostly because we were trying to impose our 'values' of freedom and democracy while supporting far right governments and torture in others. We lost mostly because we had no clue what it was we were up against. Just as with Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia we didn't really understand the culture or people in those countries. We just kind of assumed they'd see things our way if we killed enough of their left wing leaders.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #137
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    When you're digging a whole, sometimes the best solution is to stop digging.
    The only people digging a hole were the goddamned traitors and hippies who wouldn't let our military do its job.

  8. #138
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    America lost the Vietnam war because of overreach. Not only were we trying to handle Vietnam, we were also heavily involved in guerrilla warfare in West Africa and South America. We lost mostly because we were trying to impose our 'values' of freedom and democracy while supporting far right governments and torture in others. We lost mostly because we had no clue what it was we were up against. Just as with Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia we didn't really understand the culture or people in those countries. We just kind of assumed they'd see things our way if we killed enough of their left wing leaders.
    I'm not sure if these are the reasons we lost in Vietnam per se, but what you say is very true.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #139
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    LOL love American right wing revisionist thinking, so devoid of truth and fact.
    You should be more concerned with the EU cluster**** going on in Libya. You guys are going to look like the biggest assclowns in history. I can't wait; it's long overdue.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #140
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Former President Clinton proved the absurdity of that by being the president who deployed troops more times than any other president.
    3 decades later; what was it HW Bush crowed after the first Gulf War? "We have licked Vietnam Syndrom"? there's a reason it had to be licked. and how did the Left lead the charge against the Iraq War? it's vietnam, it's vietnam, it's vietnam...

    The American people proved the absurdity of that when we rallied behind Former President Bush's invasion of Afghanistan following 9.11.
    i'm going to assume this makes sense to you because it makes none to me.

    The fall of South Vietnam to the Communists caused that -- and that was inevitable whenever we left.
    actually it wasn't; South Vietnam beat off an invasion from the North. It wasn't until a few years later, when China was still supplying the North and we ceased to aid the South that the North was successful. Vietnam Syndrome beat the South Vietnamese as surely as the American Left beat the US.

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •