View Poll Results: Who won the Vietnam War?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • The French

    2 1.28%
  • The British

    1 0.64%
  • The Americans

    9 5.77%
  • The Canadians

    2 1.28%
  • The Chinese

    4 2.56%
  • The Russians

    4 2.56%
  • The Japanese

    0 0%
  • The Vietnamese

    71 45.51%
  • No one

    44 28.21%
  • Other

    19 12.18%
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 407

Thread: Who won the Vietnam War?

  1. #91
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Well the author searched for evidence and found none, even after his book was published, no veteran came forward with personal experience of being spat upon. It appears it's nothing but urban legand.
    I certainly find it entirely plausible that vets were spat on and ridiculed. If it can happen now (as evidenced by celticwar's youtube vid), it certainly happened back then as the anti-war atmosphere was a lot more toxic. However, again, a distinction needs to be made between the war and the warriors. Today, just because you oppose a particular war doesn't mean you hate America or hate the troops. I'm a staunch liberal, very pro-military, and want to join the Marine Corps after college. However that in no way distorts my personal belief that a lot of wars are just stupid and shouldn't be fought.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 03-22-11 at 08:14 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Sorry....do some research.

    John Fitzgerald Kennedy was a fervent believer in containing communism. In his first speech on becoming president, Kennedy made it clear that he would continue the policy of the former President, Dwight Eisenhower, and support the government of Diem in South Vietnam. Kennedy also made it plain that he supported the ‘Domino Theory’ and he was convinced that if South Vietnam fell to communism, then other states in the region would as a consequence. This Kennedy was not prepared to contemplate.
    You said what I said -- Kennedy continued the policies he inherited from Eisenhower.

  3. #93
    Educator
    Amazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North of Dorothy's Home.
    Last Seen
    04-30-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    He did it because he believed he was doing right....not simply because someone else was doing it.

    His motives were his own as were his decisions.....it's called personal responsibility....which HE believed in.


    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    You said what I said -- Kennedy continued the policies he inherited from Eisenhower.
    Obama is NOT 50 feet tall, he is ONE inch deep.
    Mark Levin

  4. #94
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    The very nature of the Revolutionary War was defensive. We were on our home turf fighting off a British colonial occupation and invading forces. That in and of itself is defensive strategy, regardless of what kind of tactics we used.
    That's untrue, unless you have some kind of documentation to back that up. Obviously, you can't use the Civil War as an example. Do you have another?

  5. #95
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's untrue, unless you have some kind of documentation to back that up. Obviously, you can't use the Civil War as an example. Do you have another?
    We've been through this exercise before. The most relevant example in my mind is the Peninsular Wars. We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

    Edit: would you agree that the Confederates during the Civil War were pretty much in the same strategic position that we were in during the Revolutionary War?
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 03-22-11 at 08:23 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post

    He did it because he believed he was doing right....not simply because someone else was doing it.

    His motives were his own as were his decisions.....it's called personal responsibility....which HE believed in.
    Do you think I disagree with that? I get the sense that you do.

    Still, Kennedy didn't start the war -- Johnson did.

  7. #97
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Invasion of Canada (1775) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Oh....

    The American Revolution was in no way defensive, in fact it was the exact opposite. The powerbase of the Revolution was New England and from there we spread North, West, and South. After the US pushed Britian out of most of New England they decided to turn to the South and that is where most of the southern militias fought their battles, but it was hardly a defensive war since we were forcibly pushing them out of the colonial borders and really as far as we could push them. Remember at that time there weren't "13 colonies" there were just "the colonies" as far as the British were concerned there wasn't much difference between the colonies of Canada and those of what would be the future United States or those of the Caribbean.
    I never said it was. Stillballin did. Talk to him, not me.

  8. #98
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    We've been through this exercise before. The most relevant example in my mind is the Peninsular Wars. We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.
    Are you saying that the Peninsular Campaign was an example of an offensive strategy?

    Edit: would you agree that the Confederates during the Civil War were pretty much in the same strategic position that we were in during the Revolutionary War?[/QUOTE]

    Not even hardly.

  9. #99
    Advisor Badfish420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    MA, USA
    Last Seen
    07-18-11 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    411

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    The leadership of the North Vietnamese "Communist" Party won. The Vietnamese people certainly did not win. From 1975 to 1986, not only were there widespread persecutions, but the economy sucked. Doi moi has helped the economy tremendously, but they are still a dictatorship, and treat their people poorly.
    actually most people in both north and south vietnam supported the communists.
    'I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil.' - Bobby Kennedy

  10. #100
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Who won the Vietnam War?

    The communist supporting Vietnamese won the war.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •