View Poll Results: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    22 35.48%
  • No.

    31 50.00%
  • Other.

    4 6.45%
  • Who cares?

    5 8.06%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 76

Thread: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

  1. #1
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

    Since there is no talk of putting boots on the ground, it appears we're just bombing for the sake of bombing. I don't see any way of changing the situation without forcibly removing the current dictator and replacing him with a puppet. I do not support such a proposition and I don't support the current bombing campaigns.

    There's really no good answer to the situation in Libya, but I believe it is ultimately the responsibility of the Libyan people to determine their own future, by any means necessary.

    What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,890
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

    I agree with where you said "but I believe it is ultimately the responsibility of the Libyan people to determine their own future, by any means necessary", and it seems that the means is enlisting the aid of the UN. I think the right thing is being done in Libya, they're equalling the terms so that the rebels have a chance to win.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  3. #3
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

    It's a revolution. It is two sides battling it out for their own country.
    Let them get to it, if they lose. They never had the immense broad support that was seen in Egypt and Tunisia.
    If they win, then we welcome them into the fold.

    It is not our responsibility or our duty. We are not the world's police and I wonder what BS excuse will come out of our politicians mouths when more dead soldiers start arriving.


  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

    Why don't Americans obey the Constitution and declare war through Congress approval before they trow tomahawks in other peoples land? Oh, wait, it not a war, just a "protect the good people from their evil dictator" operation.
    What has happened to the world?

  5. #5
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Why don't Americans obey the Constitution and declare war through Congress approval before they trow tomahawks in other peoples land? Oh, wait, it not a war, just a "protect the good people from their evil dictator" operation.
    What has happened to the world?
    Why dont you realize that its not the Americans that are taking the lead on this one, but it is in fact the UK and France that are doing the majority planning?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Why dont you realize that its not the Americans that are taking the lead on this one, but it is in fact the UK and France that are doing the majority planning?
    So? I know it's a UN resolution but shouldn't the US decide in Congress first whether they must participate? It's nothing to do with who is in the lead.

  7. #7
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Since there is no talk of putting boots on the ground, it appears we're just bombing for the sake of bombing. I don't see any way of changing the situation without forcibly removing the current dictator and replacing him with a puppet. I do not support such a proposition and I don't support the current bombing campaigns.

    There's really no good answer to the situation in Libya, but I believe it is ultimately the responsibility of the Libyan people to determine their own future, by any means necessary.

    What are your thoughts?
    It's a cruise missile into a tent approach. It's ****ed.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #8
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,890
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    So? I know it's a UN resolution but shouldn't the US decide in Congress first whether they must participate? It's nothing to do with who is in the lead.
    Congress has only declared war 5 times in US history, in the War of 1812, the Mexican-American War, the Spanish-American War, World War 1 and World War 2, the precedent is for the President to decide, not Congress.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Congress has only declared war 5 times in US history, in the War of 1812, the Mexican-American War, the Spanish-American War, World War 1 and World War 2, the precedent is for the President to decide, not Congress.
    Meaning the US Constitution is just a piece of paper as G.W. Bush once said?
    And what precedent is that?

  10. #10
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,890
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Are we doing the right thing in Libya?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Meaning the US Constitution is just a piece of paper as G.W. Bush once said?
    And what precedent is that?
    The Constitution doesn't say Congress has the sole power, just that Congress has the power to declare war, and it doesn't deny that power to the President either.

    And the precedent is of the President to declare war without prior approval from Congress, as has happened on at least 125 occasions throughout US history, vs. the 5 times that Congress has declared war.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •