View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #481
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    The whole debate over to defund NPR/PBS is just another GOP attempt to misdirect and create issues out of thin air. Why do they not focus on the real problems instead of attacking these programming stations for their "fact-reporting," is that something that offends the GOP?

  2. #482
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    The whole debate over to defund NPR/PBS is just another GOP attempt to misdirect and create issues out of thin air. Why do they not focus on the real problems instead of attacking these programming stations for their "fact-reporting," is that something that offends the GOP?
    I agree, I believe the whole thing is deflectionary, that's why I'm surprised that people are being caught up in it. It's NPR/PBS, when cutting it can make a real difference we're going to be sitting pretty. But cutting it now before you prevent the government from misusing that money in other ways, it ain't gonna do nothing. Pissing into the wind. We should see this topic for what it is, deflection, and get on with the important things. As I said, people need to prioritize. If we let ourselves be all ADD and jump around from topic to topic like it's the flavor of the week, we're never going to accomplish anything. It's time to focus people.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #483
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    No, its not. Our elected officials are not serious about budget cuts, nor is most of the population. If they were, there would have been a serious discussion about the cost of Libya. Cutting NPR only pays for 5 cruise missiles.....
    This is a non sequitur. You are making a conclusion that does not follow. NPR might only pay for five cruise missiles, but it still needs to go. We cannot afford it, end of discussion.

    The fact that money is being spent elsewhere does not constitute an argument that money should be spent on NPR. That is nonsense.

  4. #484
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    The whole debate over to defund NPR/PBS is just another GOP attempt to misdirect and create issues out of thin air. Why do they not focus on the real problems instead of attacking these programming stations for their "fact-reporting," is that something that offends the GOP?
    Who cares why the GOP is doing it? Even if their motive are impure (what else is new?) at least they are right. NPR and PBS are fat that needs to be trimmed. As upsideguy wisely observed, the money spent on NPR is better spent on national defense.

  5. #485
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Who cares why the GOP is doing it? Even if their motive are impure (what else is new?) at least they are right. NPR and PBS are fat that needs to be trimmed. As upsideguy wisely observed, the money spent on NPR is better spent on national defense.
    So you ultimately don't care about spending and deficit, you just want things "spent correctly"? While there is merit to the theory, it does nothing for us in the current state. One must be able to rationally analyze the situation in order to develop an analytical solution to the system. We are in debt, we want that to be addressed; that seems to be the tone (well not your last post). Cutting NPR does what? You can say well we aren't supporting this radio station. OK. But the subsidizes we spend on corporations, giving them tax breaks and allowing them to buy off our Congress is well more expensive than NPR. Cut that? No? Why?

    In the end, all you're doing is getting caught up in the deflection and not paying attention to the big issues that desperately need to be addressed. It's just being part of the problem. Cutting NPR will not get the budget under control, it will not get government under control, it will do nothing to improve our lot or make any headway what so ever. It is deflection and nothing more. We cannot afford to be ADD any longer, we have to focus on the problems and address the real issues before it's too late.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #486
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Who cares why the GOP is doing it? Even if their motive are impure (what else is new?) at least they are right. NPR and PBS are fat that needs to be trimmed. As upsideguy wisely observed, the money spent on NPR is better spent on national defense.
    Don't think that was his point.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #487
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by PW4000 View Post
    Absolutely! I don't hide or shy away from it either.

    Come on - how can you want to pull the plug on that which brought you this: (turn our volume way up)



    "I'm going to get there, if you're veeeeeery careful."

    Now, you sit here and tell me that after all these years, you still don't have your Conjunction Junction groove fully in gear? This was epic genius on the part of PBS, and from the looks of things in the United States today, more people could have benefited from learning more about Grammar this way.

    Pure genius, was PBS when they put this out there. Here, I've got some more for you to reminisce abut. You will absolutely love this one:



    We can send half the people on this board back to Conjunction Function and School House Rock, just so they can develop better writing skills! We can't get rid of this - we just can't.

    PBS Rocks, and (conjunction function) it always has. That's my CENTRIST view point.
    Funny thing that your most memorable PBS learning experiences, and all of the "Epic Genius" and "Pure Genius" that went into making them, didn't come from PBS at all but from a commerical advertising venture -- sold to and aired on *GASP* broadcast television (ABC) and sponsored by General Foods.

    Maybe we should move this to the thread on corporate welfare? Surely if PBS deserves funding for such a product...

  8. #488
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,136

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    This is a non sequitur. You are making a conclusion that does not follow. NPR might only pay for five cruise missiles, but it still needs to go. We cannot afford it, end of discussion.

    The fact that money is being spent elsewhere does not constitute an argument that money should be spent on NPR. That is nonsense.
    If we can't afford NPR, we certainly can't afford playing around in Libya.

    Again, the nonsense is somehow thinking the idea of cutting NPR represents a serious attempt by the GOP to balance the budget. If they were serious, there would at least question whether or not we could afford Libya... the fact that their is almost zero question about this affirms that cutting NPR is all politics and nothing about saving money.

    Assuming for a moment they are serious about cutting the budget, then the must be incompetent. As per my previous post, I have a problem with starting with trivial matters when there is real work to be done.

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ...as I posted before, if I asked one of my managers to cut $100,000 out of his budget and his first action is to make a fuss of a $12 item, I think I have an incompetant manager. ($12/$100,000 is the same ratio as $7.5M to $61B... or 1/100 of 1%). Anyone that thinks the conservative attack on NPR has anything to do with the budget.... well, they are as gullible as they come. The real issue is all of this is an incredible ruse, and the republicans have no interest in expenditure cutting (most of them think we should be in Libya, which if you believed them weeks ago, would be something we could not afford), they are just up to there usual, pointless games.
    Republicans are not serious about the budget or just incompetent? You decide.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Who cares why the GOP is doing it? Even if their motive are impure (what else is new?) at least they are right. NPR and PBS are fat that needs to be trimmed. As upsideguy wisely observed, the money spent on NPR is better spent on national defense.
    ...nor do I think that was my point. BTW, I thought libertarian were generally against imperialist adventures... therefore would be against our participation in Libya. I realize intelligent people to do not buy doctrine hook, line and sinker... but I am curious.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 03-28-11 at 03:08 PM.

  9. #489
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Don't think that was his point.
    Yeah, I know, but at least I was able to salvage something wothwhile from his argument.

  10. #490
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    This is a non sequitur. You are making a conclusion that does not follow. NPR might only pay for five cruise missiles, but it still needs to go. We cannot afford it, end of discussion.
    It doesn't matter if it's de-funded or not. One of the PBS spokespersons said that only one percent is provided by the Government, the rest by donations.

    The Reps who are pushing it most know that too, and that the Senate will never pass it, so it all comes down to another case of dirty politics, and gotcha, not economy.

    If the Reps really want to help the economy, they could roll back the huge tax break (71 down to 38 percent) Regan gave the rich back in the 80s.

    ricksfolly

Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •