View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #411
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I don't know if we should defund NPR and PBS. They are an extremely small chunk of our budget. However, I do believe that they should be held accountible and be forced into neutrality. Right now NPR and PBS are liberally biased and our tax dollars shouldn't be funding biased "public" informants.
    Who cares about neutrality? NPR and PBS are charged with providing culture and the arts to the public, not being neutral. Culture and the arts have a left-wing bias. That's just a fact of life. NPR and PBS are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing, enlightening the public. It's only "propaganda" if you have something against tolerance and diversity, which so many people do around here.

    But the point is, it doesn't matter what NPR and PBS are doing. If they cost only a single cent of taxpayer money it is too much, because the United States simply cannot afford anything nonessential right now.

  2. #412
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    The amount of money public sector workers make is pretty minimal in comparison to the amount corporations save on tax breaks. This means nothing to conservatives.
    that only makes sense if one holds the position that all money belongs to the government and taking less taxes from those who MADE the money is the same as actively giving money others made to NPR



  3. #413
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Who cares about neutrality? NPR and PBS are charged with providing culture and the arts to the public, not being neutral. Culture and the arts have a left-wing bias. That's just a fact of life. NPR and PBS are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing, enlightening the public. It's only "propaganda" if you have something against tolerance and diversity, which so many people do around here.

    But the point is, it doesn't matter what NPR and PBS are doing. If they cost only a single cent of taxpayer money it is too much, because the United States simply cannot afford anything nonessential right now.
    culture and arts are leftwing? LOL

    but the last sentence actually made sense



  4. #414
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Liberal media = no conservative bias.
    we will apply that thinking to Fox news

    No Obama worship=Right wing bias



  5. #415
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Who cares about neutrality? NPR and PBS are charged with providing culture and the arts to the public, not being neutral. Culture and the arts have a left-wing bias. That's just a fact of life. NPR and PBS are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing, enlightening the public. It's only "propaganda" if you have something against tolerance and diversity, which so many people do around here.

    But the point is, it doesn't matter what NPR and PBS are doing. If they cost only a single cent of taxpayer money it is too much, because the United States simply cannot afford anything nonessential right now.
    Culture and arts are not left-wing, come on.

    And while I agree with the last statement, cutting NPR will do nothing to solve the problem. It's like saving a dime when your millions of dollars in debt. Great, saved a dime. But you didn't make any improvement in the situation. I just feel that this whole NPR/PBS thing is nothing more than a deflection topic so that we stop looking at ways to actually cut the budget down or control government. Saving dimes is necessary at some point, but you have to get to the point where it makes a difference. Before that, there's no point in doing so because functionally you will not have affected the system at all.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #416
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Culture and arts are not left-wing, come on.

    And while I agree with the last statement, cutting NPR will do nothing to solve the problem. It's like saving a dime when your millions of dollars in debt. Great, saved a dime. But you didn't make any improvement in the situation. I just feel that this whole NPR/PBS thing is nothing more than a deflection topic so that we stop looking at ways to actually cut the budget down or control government. Saving dimes is necessary at some point, but you have to get to the point where it makes a difference. Before that, there's no point in doing so because functionally you will not have affected the system at all.
    What I find sad about this is that targeting these tiny programs actually costs political capital. Every cut builds opposition, because someone is losing something they used to be getting. So when we spend political capital on this ticky-tack stuff, we make it that much more likely that we won't balance the big stuff. By making the fight about a tiny percentage of the budget, we're just wasting time. NPR could easily be defunded as part of a bigger budget bill, as the political fight would then be over the big fish upstream.

  7. #417
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    NPR could easily be defunded as part of a bigger budget bill, as the political fight would then be over the big fish upstream.
    I'd support that. It's slash and burn time. The trouble is nobody in Washington is serious about making cuts, so what you call tickytack might be the only cuts we can make.

  8. #418
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I'd support that. It's slash and burn time. The trouble is nobody in Washington is serious about making cuts, so what you call tickytack might be the only cuts we can make.
    Which will be the real tragedy in the end.

  9. #419
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    By not conservative, options include centrist, moderate, libertarian, liberal, fascist, socialist, communist, constitutionalist, theocratic, etc. I find it interesting that you have such a one or the other view.
    Well then, do you think they should have a political agenda?
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  10. #420
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    Which will be the real tragedy in the end.
    It's the tragedy we live with. Sure Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security are what needs to be cut, but as you observe, all that takes political capital and we haven't got a single politician brave enough or stupid enough to cough up enough political capital to make even a dent in the big three. So I, for one, will take what I can get. Cut NPR and PBS. Cut the post office. Cut everything non-essential that can be cut.

Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •