View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #311
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    Yeah, that was days ago, and those silly things were refuted right off the bat. Since there's no reason to keep NPR, there's no reason to fund it with tax dollars. If others feel NPR can have some unstated purpose, then it can live or die on the free market just like every other radio station.

    Is there some reason all those programs you people claim are so interesting and important can't survive without the corporate subsidies you condemn for private businesses?
    You didn't get past the first page did you? No one ever really addressed my points, and literally everything you've said in the course of this entire thread has been in some way addressed in the first 15 pages or so. You can take a horse to a watering hole, but you can't make him drink,
    Last edited by repeter; 03-20-11 at 07:34 PM.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  2. #312
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    You're counting outlets and accessibility. I'm counting content.
    Ok, so then would you agree that if there content is par or above par they should be able to make a profit in the radio/TV industry without any subsidies from the government? What would prevent a quality radio station or TV outlet from continuing business?

  3. #313
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    House Shamefully Votes to Defund NPR | Save the News $1.50 Per tax payer per year.

    NPR funded by tax dollars? 3.3 cents per taxpayer in the $100,000 tax bracket

    House votes to cut NPR's federal funding - Politics - Capitol Hill - msnbc.com Backs up the data from the second source (the $64 million public funding for NPR).

    My point is, the amount of money we each spend on NPR (I'm not sure about PBS, but I'm lazy, and will assume its not horrible worse than NPR's funding situation) is pretty minimal. I listen to NPR every morning on my way to school, and honestly, its worth the money my family puts into it in terms of tax dollars.
    I don't listen to NPR and don't watch PBS. Explain to me why I should continue to support funding this program, despite the fact that it is a minimal amount. Is there something hindering quality radio or TV stations from doing business? Is there some failure in the market that is making it less efficient? I honestly can't think of any. I think that you are just trying to downplay any argument against funding these two stations instead of actually taking on one of the argument against them. Also, I know you did not say it, but later on the first page someone said "This will not solve the deficit" which is obviously true, but it is a red herring. The issue is funding a public radio/TV station, not eliminating the deficit.

  4. #314
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    I don't listen to NPR and don't watch PBS. Explain to me why I should continue to support funding this program, despite the fact that it is a minimal amount. Is there something hindering quality radio or TV stations from doing business? Is there some failure in the market that is making it less efficient? I honestly can't think of any. I think that you are just trying to downplay any argument against funding these two stations instead of actually taking on one of the argument against them. Also, I know you did not say it, but later on the first page someone said "This will not solve the deficit" which is obviously true, but it is a red herring. The issue is funding a public radio/TV station, not eliminating the deficit.
    Perhaps NPR and PBS is the poster child of thousands of entities, programs, causes etc. that shouldn't be funded by our federal or even state governments.

  5. #315
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    I don't listen to NPR and don't watch PBS. Explain to me why I should continue to support funding this program, despite the fact that it is a minimal amount.
    It is a public service. Its like paying taxes and that money going to a road project in a different city, or even a state, especially because it is so minimal. It is making the country better in a small way.

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    Is there something hindering quality radio or TV stations from doing business? Is there some failure in the market that is making it less efficient? I honestly can't think of any.
    It isn't quality radio stations as umch as a industry-wide disregard of objective reporting. Look at the major news networks, they are horribly bias. NPR and PBS provide educational services, and factual information, which I would distinguish from the rest of the news services.

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    Also, I know you did not say it, but later on the first page someone said "This will not solve the deficit" which is obviously true, but it is a red herring. The issue is funding a public radio/TV station, not eliminating the deficit.
    I would consider it slightly valid to say that a reason to defund NPR and PBS is the deficit, but at the same time, the money that goes to them is very minimal, all things considered.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  6. #316
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    It is a public service. Its like paying taxes and that money going to a road project in a different city, or even a state, especially because it is so minimal. It is making the country better in a small way.
    I understand that, but I was yet to see a reason why it is actually making us better before this below:

    It isn't quality radio stations as umch as a industry-wide disregard of objective reporting. Look at the major news networks, they are horribly bias. NPR and PBS provide educational services, and factual information, which I would distinguish from the rest of the news services.
    So you feel that the US lacks an objective source of news. I actually disagree, but I can see why funding something like this could be beneficial to the economy. A more informed populace can make better decisions. However, as I have said before I do not think any sort of programming on TV or the radio is lacking. In my opinion, the hundreds of thousands of choices we have are adequate. Look at any subject or programming choice you could possible want. I can bet directTV has 5 different choices of channels for that particular subject.

    I would consider it slightly valid to say that a reason to defund NPR and PBS is the deficit, but at the same time, the money that goes to them is very minimal, all things considered.
    Yes, it is a reason, but not the only one. Many people would reject funding these stations out of principle. I was just pointing it out because if you read the first page it was something actually brought up solely by someone who was for funding NPR/PBS. No one else (not even the "conservatives") actually even said that before.

  7. #317
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    It is a public service. Its like paying taxes and that money going to a road project in a different city, or even a state, especially because it is so minimal. It is making the country better in a small way.
    Then why don't we pay taxes to every organization that "makes the country better in a small way"?

    That is NOT the job of the federal government. It's up to the individual people of the country to make the country better. If you believe NPR is a great radio station, great - give money to them. But that doesn't mean every citizen should be forced to pay money to them. I think Feminists for Life is a great organization that does a lot of good in our country. Would you be okay with a very conservative Congress deciding that you have to pay taxes to them?


  8. #318
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    Wow.

    Phony polls.

    What a surprise.

    Should Mayor Snorkum make the effort to educate the Sgt on the concept of leading questions, selected interest groups, and other forms of poll manipulation?

    Would it be worth the effort to point out that polls showing the opposite are available to counter his?

    Would it be worthwhile to point out that the voters in 2010 made it perfectly plain that their goal is the repeal of that single-payer crap Obama forced upon us which was later declared unconstitutional by the courts?

    No, beyond a certain point it is best to let the easily led be led away.

    W
    Maybe you can explain to me how Reuters and Gallup are phony polls. Never mind. It'll just be more bull****. Carry on in fantasy land.
    Last edited by Sgt Meowenstein; 03-20-11 at 09:09 PM.


  9. #319
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    There is but one poll that matters..........the last was conducted on Nov. 2, 2010.....known as The Biggest Political Ass Whooping in History....

    ....and the results of this poll.....

    .
    Yeah yeah yeah....the only poll that matters....2010 election...,,bippity bobbity boop blah blah blah...do you ever say anything else?


  10. #320
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Meowenstein View Post
    Yeah yeah yeah....the only poll that matters....2010 election...,,bippity bobbity boop blah blah blah...do you ever say anything else?
    Your contending the majority of Americas want Subprime Single Payer Health Care and support Amnesty.........

    .......The Majority of Americans had a chance to elect liberals who would do these things........

    ......they declined......in the largest political landslide in US History.....
    .
    .
    .

Page 32 of 52 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •