View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #21
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,080

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Personally I don't want a dime of mine going to NPR.
    Would you want a dime of your's going to Rush Limbaugh?
    I won't just automatically assume you meant this so I want to clarify.

    Do you think NPR is the liberal version of Rush Limbaugh?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  2. #22
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Do you agree or disagree that we need to stop giving federal $$ to NPR and PBS? I'd like someone who disagree with the defunding, to give some good reasons why the taxpayers should be forced to give money to a radio and TV station.

    Thank you.
    NPR and PBS are excellent, award-winning sources of news and information; they establish a high standard for a wider industry. For the few cents a month they cost, they probably represent the best investments Americans could possibly make in this world.

    I was opposed to the Iraq War but there was no opting-out of paying for that. The American republic is like that.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  3. #23
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    Do you think NPR is the liberal version of Rush Limbaugh?
    No, that was Air America. NPR is vastly different.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #24
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    You can still listen to it. Defunding isn't going to shut them down as long as all the listeners and wealthy donors stay on board. Supposedly their listeners have a median income of 87,000. Or Gee... they could do like everyone else and get some advertizers.
    As far as PBS, Sesame Streets CEO gets a 900,000 salary. So I think people can stop crying that the Republicans are trying to kill Big Bird.

    Personally I don't want a dime of mine going to NPR.
    Would you want a dime of your's going to Rush Limbaugh?
    Liberals enjoin radio welfare. And besides, no govt program should ever be cancelled.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #25
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Do you agree or disagree that we need to stop giving federal $$ to NPR and PBS? I'd like someone who disagree with the defunding, to give some good reasons why the taxpayers should be forced to give money to a radio and TV station.

    Thank you.
    I am pissed because as I was posting I got timed out, and it erased my post.

    Basically, I want to continue federal funds to NPR and PBS. In brief, I think that they provide me with political news, as opposed to commercial radio news stations that instead provide political opinion.

    Also, NPR and PBS are more prone to political discussion, whereas commercially sponsored shows tend towards political debate. NPR actually lets people talk and discuss issues, whereas commercially sponsored shows tend to validate their host in order to bring in their audience to bring about high ratings to bring in more advertising revenue.

    Another point was that the reason why NPR and PBS is being targeted to have it's funding reduced is because of it's political news shows. However, not every show it airs is about politics or news. Some are about other subjects such as cuisine or automotive advice, and so is more educational than journalistic or entertaining.

    One more point is that I commercially sponsored shows are more biased. This is because shows rely on corporate sponsorship to bring in ad revenue. If corporate sponsorship becomes the only way for journalists to express news, then they'll be less likely to publish reports that go against those corporations. So having only corporately sponsored news shows will be detrimental to the journalistic integrity of reporters, especially investigative journalists. I would prefer that the people have at least one source of news that doesn't have to worry about criticizing those who write their paychecks.

    That's the long and short of why I want funding for NPR and PBS to continue.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #26
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    I love NPR, but I don't think it's something the feds need to pay for.

    That said, cutting it will do absolutely nothing for our deficit, either - therefore, cutting it should not be a priority.

  7. #27
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Do you agree or disagree that we need to stop giving federal $$ to NPR and PBS? I'd like someone who disagree with the defunding, to give some good reasons why the taxpayers should be forced to give money to a radio and TV station.

    Thank you.

    Yes cut it. Along with every other non-essential expense line on the federal budget. Don't really care if its $100 or $100 million.

    First of all, I like NPR. But as a country, it's like we are in some zombie trance form of denial and just don't get it. The federal govenrment is completely overextended. There is no money. For every dollar that the Feds distribute anywhere, we are borrowing 40 cents of it.


    The fact that we are even having this debate about "the cultural value and benefits of NPR" is telling. It really is like we have lost touch with all reality.


    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Why should I be forced to pay for unbiased radio? A legitimate forum of political information? You've gotta be ****ing kidding me.

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Yes cut it. Along with every other non-essential expense line on the federal budget. Don't really care if its $100 or $100 million.

    First of all, I like NPR. But as a country, it's like we are in some zombie trance form of denial and just don't get it. The federal govenrment is completely overextended. There is no money. For every dollar that the Feds distribute anywhere, we are borrowing 40 cents of it.


    The fact that we are even having this debate about "the cultural value and benefits of NPR" is telling. It really is like we have lost touch with all reality.


    .
    Here's the thing, cutting NPR, PBS isn't going to solve the deficit, and when/if we do deal with the programs that are causing the deficit, we won't need to cut NPR, PBS. It's really, a pointless thing, that only hurts the nation.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #30
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Here's the thing, cutting NPR, PBS isn't going to solve the deficit, and when/if we do deal with the programs that are causing the deficit, we won't need to cut NPR, PBS. It's really, a pointless thing, that only hurts the nation.

    And we have heard a similar outcry from budget every item that has been proposed for cutting. But I guess your statement is accurate in that it won't solve the problem by itself. (not sure where you came up with the "hurts the nation" part)

    The money is being borrowed by the Feds to finance a luxury. And we should continue to do so because stopping this particular drain won't "solve the problem"??


    Lots of smart people in the discussion. But sometimes I am left scratching my head....

    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •