View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #261
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Well, I've already made it very clear elsewhere that it is my belief that if we are having budget problems (which we are), then we need to look at where our budget is completely 'out of whack'. When you look at our budget, the single thing that stands out as being completely different than the rest of the entire planet of nations is our military spending. We used to be able to afford this. When we could, I was in complete support of doing so, and I believe it has had, overall, a beneficial effect. It is less necessary, now, and the situation is more impossible.

    The rest of the free world is going to have to accept more responsibility for it's own well being, and they should. One effect that our strength has had is that it has subsidized many other prosperous nation's budgets. They will have to come up with the money, now, and the blood.

    Significant Cutting anywhere else will send us into a slow domestic decline that will ultimately force military cuts in any event. This is because we will be less prosperous, and thereby even less able to afford our bloated military.

    So, when you say that those opposed to you are not willing to make tough choices, perhaps that is true. But I am. I am sure that these are not the cuts that you would make. I also imagine that you believe that such cuts will bring about the end of the world, but I'll let you speak for yourself. Finally, if the idea of cutting the military budget gains traction, I would imagine that we will be in for a very bitter fight. One that makes the last 20 years look like a walk in the park.

    So, it is about priorities. I believe that public broadcasting is a priority, but more significantly, I believe that other larger domestic spending items are also a priority. I do concede that many of my fellow liberals, and many centrists, have not yet faced truly setting their priorities. They will have to do so soon.
    Have no issue with trimming back military spending. No doubt significant reductions can be found there. But we could reduce money to the military by 25% and the federal budget would still be grossly overextended.

    You agree that there is a need to make tough choices, but then you state "significant cutting" anywhere but the military is unacceptable. Problem is, that math doesn't work. Entitlement programs have to part of the formula in order to rein in federal spending.

    As to priorities, we have become somewhat of spoiled society in our expectations. Public broadcasting isn't even on my list as a priority. And it is hard to grasp that anyone else has it high on theirs.


    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  2. #262
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I know it gets to be a tough call in some areas. It just seems, though, that funding TV/radio is something we could all agree is pretty low on the list of priorities.
    The lowest of the low priorities. Which is why removing said funding should be a no brainer from a practical view. The only reason we're continuing to have these discussions is I think, because of Democrats ideology - I just don't see the benefit, and if there is a benefit to the taxpayer, the scale of benefit to continue such funding. If taxpayers want to continue to support NPR they can by donating directly, which I see as perfectly fine.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #263
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,125

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    It is a low priority, and I say that as an NPR listener (I also watch Bill O'Reilly sometimes before anybody starts calling me a Marxist). My issue is that this didn't warrant an "emergency session."

    So far Republicans have gone after Unions and NPR. Pretty easy targets. I can't wait to see what happens when it gets down to the heavy lifting, i.e., when it comes to either cutting Defense or raising taxes. My guess is that they'll lose their resolve pretty quickly at that point.

  4. #264
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    NPR if it is funded by the taxpayer, then should do the bidding of the taxpayer, which currently it does not.
    By all means, try that argument the next time you get stopped for speeding.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #265
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    The point should not be cost. The point is that we are funding a program that has biases against our belief system. I do not care if it's divine revelation compared to Glenn Beck. People are reporting, and they bound to be biased. Many in this thread are Liberal, so the bias will stick out less to them, but as an NPR listener, I can tell you that a slant does sometimes show itself.
    My argument is that NPR and PBS provide a variety of valuable programming that have nothing to do with political bias whatsoever, and that programming is what make NPR and PBS valuable public investments.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #266
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    That point is incorrect.

    However, since NPR IS biased, and since the Constitution does not permit the establishment of a national media corporation, then NPR should be taken off the corporate welfare list.
    I'll take this argument against NPR and public education in general a lot more seriously when it is used successfully to deny the Feds the right to trample all over my civil liberties.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #267
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    My argument is that NPR and PBS provide a variety of valuable programming that have nothing to do with political bias whatsoever, and that programming is what make NPR and PBS valuable public investments.
    You would have to consider a cost vs benefit then. How many radio stations do we have now? How many TV stations do we have now? How accessible are they to the general public? I think you will find that there are hundreds of thousands that the general public has little trouble getting. NPR and PBS do not make the market for radio and TV more efficient. A basic cost v benefit would tell you that we should not fund them.

  8. #268
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    My argument is that NPR and PBS provide a variety of valuable programming that have nothing to do with political bias whatsoever, and that programming is what make NPR and PBS valuable public investments.
    But the news programs are still major parts of the outlets. The amount of money is not important. The fact that these programs still receive funding despite bias, is what I find disagreeable.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  9. #269
    Educator Sgt Meowenstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-22-17 @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    620

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I never listen to NPR, so I don't really have an opinion. I don't really see any inherent societal benefit of the government funding a radio station though. I'm not going to be that upset if the government stops funding NPR.

    PBS is great. It's widely considered one of the most reliable sources of news, and it has great educational programming that truly DOES provide a benefit to society. I'm not sure how competitive that would be in a free market, so I don't have any problem at all with government funding PBS.
    But the GOP wants funding cut for CPB, which encompasses NPR and PBS. If CPB funding gets cut (and it won't as long as Dems in the Senate hold onto their balls amd standup to te GOP), then both NPR and PBS lose the little gov't support they now receive.


  10. #270
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    You would have to consider a cost vs benefit then. How many radio stations do we have now? How many TV stations do we have now? How accessible are they to the general public? I think you will find that there are hundreds of thousands that the general public has little trouble getting. NPR and PBS do not make the market for radio and TV more efficient. A basic cost v benefit would tell you that we should not fund them.
    You're counting outlets and accessibility. I'm counting content.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •