View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #251
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Reasonable points. But from my perspective they are missing the bigger picture of the standoff we are in regarding our ongoing federal spending habits/disaster.

    There are those defending spending on the smaller non-life impacting luxury items like PBS/NPR. Saying it is insignificant to the to the bigger impact of tackling the entitlements. (which certainly is mathematically accurate)

    But as soon as proposals for cuts to the Social Security and Medicare entitlements enter the equation, we can rest assured that there will be screams about federal funding to PBS/NPR and any other federal programs that are much lower priorities.

    Believe most agree that Federal spending is out of control and unsustainable. This isn't about love/hate of public broadcasting. It is about first establishing priorities and then working our way down through all spending.

    There are a lot of federal expenditures that are not a priority. Funding PBS is not high on the priority list.


    .
    Well, I've already made it very clear elsewhere that it is my belief that if we are having budget problems (which we are), then we need to look at where our budget is completely 'out of whack'. When you look at our budget, the single thing that stands out as being completely different than the rest of the entire planet of nations is our military spending. We used to be able to afford this. When we could, I was in complete support of doing so, and I believe it has had, overall, a beneficial effect. It is less necessary, now, and the situation is more impossible.

    The rest of the free world is going to have to accept more responsibility for it's own well being, and they should. One effect that our strength has had is that it has subsidized many other prosperous nation's budgets. They will have to come up with the money, now, and the blood.

    Significant Cutting anywhere else will send us into a slow domestic decline that will ultimately force military cuts in any event. This is because we will be less prosperous, and thereby even less able to afford our bloated military.

    So, when you say that those opposed to you are not willing to make tough choices, perhaps that is true. But I am. I am sure that these are not the cuts that you would make. I also imagine that you believe that such cuts will bring about the end of the world, but I'll let you speak for yourself. Finally, if the idea of cutting the military budget gains traction, I would imagine that we will be in for a very bitter fight. One that makes the last 20 years look like a walk in the park.

    So, it is about priorities. I believe that public broadcasting is a priority, but more significantly, I believe that other larger domestic spending items are also a priority. I do concede that many of my fellow liberals, and many centrists, have not yet faced truly setting their priorities. They will have to do so soon.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  2. #252
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    There's this thing called the "Internet". Perhaps you've heard of it?

    There's Netflix. They seem to have some kind of distribution network to deliver opera to people who like that sort of thing, anywhere they live.

    That's just two possibilities that don't require the taxpayer getting fleeced.

    A final possibility is that they could do what I did, long ago, I admit, and read the damn thing in French but USING THIER OWN DAMN MONEY TO BUY THE BOOK. That might require them to marry a Parisian to help with the hard parts, but the best things in life are not easy, nor free.
    Seeing it on PBS is the only way it is accessible to everyone with a TV and basic cable. There was actually much more to this than the show. It was a 25th anniversary celebration that included performance by many of the people who originated the role. I suppose you could also donate to PBS and get the DVD. Oh, and this Les Miserable has spectacular music, you can't get that from reading the book. The point I was making was not about this specific program but about the huge worth of PBS programming in general.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  3. #253
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    No. Unless one is confused. Opinions are conclusions drawn from fact. Two facts were presented, one conclusion.

    .
    Just because you think something is true doesn't make it fact. - FACT
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  4. #254
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Who gets to decide if they are doing the bidding of the taxpayers? How do you make that decision?
    The taxpayer makes that decision after all we pay the bills, if this isn't satisfactory then the taxpayer shouldn't have to pay. Make it a option on our payroll taxes whether you wish to fund NPR or not, but forcing the taxpayer to pay is unconstitutional.

  5. #255
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    Here is the thing though. There is a potential for bias in all aspects of the government. Every gov agency has a website, many publish research papers, some advertise on TV or at sporting events. Defunding it just because there is a potential of funding something that will present a bias/slant, or go against some viewers beliefs is not really valid nor practical in my eyes.
    Government websites and reports are meant to show a single opinion. News media is different, because people are meant to go to it for one opinion. Reporters are meant to provide us with a balanced coverage of events as they can. We trust them to give us the facts, but their take on things often does not line up with our view. I do not want to be forced to support NPR with my tax dollars any more than you want to support Fox News with your's.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  6. #256
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    The taxpayer makes that decision after all we pay the bills, if this isn't satisfactory then the taxpayer shouldn't have to pay. Make it a option on our payroll taxes whether you wish to fund NPR or not, but forcing the taxpayer to pay is unconstitutional.
    And we can make it an option whether we fund roads, and police, and wars...

    Sounds like a wonderful idea. Bet it will work well!
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #257
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And we can make it an option whether we fund roads, and police, and wars...

    Sounds like a wonderful idea. Bet it will work well!
    Yes, because public broadcasting is right up there in importance with roads, police and war.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #258
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Yes, because public broadcasting is right up there in importance with roads, police and war.
    That is not what he said. How would you decide what is important or not? Sooner or later, it all comes down to opinion, and if we let people not pay taxes on the stuff they don't like, the consequences would be severe.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #259
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is not what he said. How would you decide what is important or not? Sooner or later, it all comes down to opinion, and if we let people not pay taxes on the stuff they don't like, the consequences would be severe.
    You decide what's important by staying within the boundaries of the constitution and it's 18 enumerated powers, not the 20,000 plus our government currently tries to exercise. This country is broke and NPR is one of the many thousand reasons why, plus I don't care to hear their rambling opinionated B/S on my dime.

  10. #260
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is not what he said. How would you decide what is important or not?
    I know it gets to be a tough call in some areas. It just seems, though, that funding TV/radio is something we could all agree is pretty low on the list of priorities.

    Sooner or later, it all comes down to opinion, and if we let people not pay taxes on the stuff they don't like, the consequences would be severe.
    Ok, I agree with this. It would also be entirely unworkable.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •