View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #231
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I would argue that NPR/PBS serves their communities well and for the tiny cost there is no reason not to continue with some funding. As this thread shows though, it has nothing to do with cutting the budget(since for all intents and purposes, this does not affect the budget), and is all about scoring points.
    NPR if it is funded by the taxpayer, then should do the bidding of the taxpayer, which currently it does not.

  2. #232
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    The point should not be cost. The point is that we are funding a program that has biases against our belief system. I do not care if it's divine revelation compared to Glenn Beck. People are reporting, and they bound to be biased. Many in this thread are Liberal, so the bias will stick out less to them, but as an NPR listener, I can tell you that a slant does sometimes show itself.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  3. #233
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I would argue that NPR/PBS serves their communities well and for the tiny cost there is no reason not to continue with some funding. As this thread shows though, it has nothing to do with cutting the budget(since for all intents and purposes, this does not affect the budget), and is all about scoring points.
    There are already thousands of radio and TV stations. I cannot really think of any reason why NPR/PBS could make TV/radio more efficient. There is plenty of competition in the market place, and if you already have a TV or radio there are numerous stations you can already pick up for free. So as you said, they may serve their communities well, but I am not convinced we are any better off funding NPR/PBS than we would be without them. Applying a basic cost vs benefit analysis I would say cut them.

  4. #234
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    Are you kidding me, this country faces massive debt because of NPR and PBS? Really!?! This country has massive debt because of two wars and tax breaks for the richest people.
    Except Tax Revenue increased AFTER the Bush Tax Cuts........



    Surely since you are a daily NPR listener.........you heard this......
    .
    .
    .

  5. #235
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    The point should not be cost. The point is that we are funding a program that has biases against our belief system. I do not care if it's divine revelation compared to Glenn Beck. People are reporting, and they bound to be biased. Many in this thread are Liberal, so the bias will stick out less to them, but as an NPR listener, I can tell you that a slant does sometimes show itself.
    Here is the thing though. There is a potential for bias in all aspects of the government. Every gov agency has a website, many publish research papers, some advertise on TV or at sporting events. Defunding it just because there is a potential of funding something that will present a bias/slant, or go against some viewers beliefs is not really valid nor practical in my eyes.

  6. #236
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Except Tax Revenue increased AFTER the Bush Tax Cuts........



    Surely since you are a daily NPR listener.........you heard this......
    .
    .
    .
    Tax revenue also increased after Clinton's tax increases, and after Reagan's tax increases. What does this tell you?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #237
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Because, of course, funding NPR is the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks of the unConstitutional activities of the Federal government.
    Given the topic of this specific thread, define the purpose of your comment.

  8. #238
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Her point is, that people who think NPR has a liberal bias, is people that think no conservative bias=liberal bias.
    That point is incorrect.

    However, since NPR IS biased, and since the Constitution does not permit the establishment of a national media corporation, then NPR should be taken off the corporate welfare list.

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Defunding NPR is idiotic as it would save only $60 million. $60 million is nothing, not even a drop in the bucket. This has nothing to do w/ saving $$$$, rather it has everything to do with getting rid of media that isn't Fox News-esque.
    Why is it "idiotic" to stop spending money on a luxury the Constitution does not permit in the first place?

    If we cannot cut projects the Constitution does not allow, how is the budget supposed to be balanced, considering that a taxation rate of 100% wouldn't come close to closing the deficit?

  10. #240
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post

    However, since NPR IS biased, and since the Constitution does not permit the establishment of a national media corporation, then NPR should be taken off the corporate welfare list.
    All three of the statements in there, that NPR is biased, that the constitution does not allow it, and that it should have funding removed are what we call opinions.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •