View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #161
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    That's the most common root of any argument against cutting any spending not related directly to life and limb.
    Not exactly a compelling argument though. My point is, if anyone agrees spending is a problem, shouldn't those that don't directly relate to life and limb be the first on the chopping block?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  2. #162
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    My take is, if Dems are throwing a fit over things like PBS and NPR that can survive withoutgovernment funding, what are they going to be willing to cut at all?
    It is of course, unknown if public media can survive without government funding.
    What I advocate is increasing government funding of public radio?TV by tenfold.
    Enough to stop public radio and TV from begging so damned much...
    If they need money, and I'm sure they do, why not accept advertising [I]in good taste[I] or is this impossible ??
    As for cutting, the tea baggers have "cuttingitis".
    The taxes should be reset a previous levels.
    In fact, they should be increased to cover war cost.
    Also, the pay for all of the "upper echelon" of public so-called servants is is too high and must be reduced. We could begin with the law-makers.
    I'm not sure that anything can be cut....

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    It think it's unfair that people who don't watch PBS or listen to NPR get to vote.

  4. #164
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    It think it's unfair that people who don't watch PBS or listen to NPR get to vote.
    A truly brilliant argument.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    A truly brilliant argument.
    I was trying to be polite and not get more infractions for saying what I really think.

    People who are not too bright get headaches when they listen/watch programs that make them think.

    Therefore, their vote on the relevance/importance of that programming is meaningless. They might as well be voting on the curriculum for a masters program.

    Does that make more sense?

  6. #166
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    I was trying to be polite and not get more infractions for saying what I really think.

    People who are not too bright get headaches when they listen/watch programs that make them think.

    Therefore, their vote on the relevance/importance of that programming is meaningless. They might as well be voting on the curriculum for a masters program.

    Does that make more sense?
    Well now, is there anything presented on NPR or PBS that challenges your disdain for conservatism? If not, perhaps it's not making you think as much you believe. Does that make sense?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #167
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    My take is, if Dems are throwing a fit over things like PBS and NPR that can survive withoutgovernment funding, what are they going to be willing to cut at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Anything that Republicans like: Defense for one. Any corporate subsidies for another. The military is evil (only when they're not evil), the Defense Department in particular and corporations / ceo's and Wall Street are greedy evil fat cats who are destroying the middle class. But then, the subsidation of the lower class via welfare has to be increased due to social inequities and the need for social justice you see. So there really won't be "cuts" per se, just a rearranging of funds away from things Republicans want and for things Democrats want.

    When in reality we can't afford either Republican or Democrats plan. The cuts have to be broad and deep and across all things. Defense, Welfare and Social programs, entitlements such as SS, Medicare and Medicaid. I favor a flat cut across every single area of 15% over the next 5 years, increasing to 20% in 10 years, while changing the tax rate to a flat 23% fixed rate for everyone - no exceptions. If you make a dime, 23% of that dime is collected. Then the states can cut their own areas to make sure they can get out of the red - and in about 20-25 years we'll be dug out of this mess, assuming of course no one screws it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Sorry, but this is typical of many liberals who claim to support fiscal responsibility but then accuse anyone who proposes any actual cuts of being mean-spirited or partisan. I agree by comparison, the funding is pretty small, but, when looking at other potential cuts, it seems like paying for radio and tv stations should be among the first to go. Besides, it seems that the most common argument against cutting the funding here is, "But I like it."
    See, now in Barb's comments she throws out a reasonable question. She may or may not be right about the effects of defunding PBS/NPR, but the question of what I am willing to cut is a fair one. Then of course we have those on the other side of the isle, instead of waiting for an answer, have to build their elaborate straw men that have no basis in reality, and of course they think they somehow made a point, when the reality is all they did was look dishonest.

    Barb, an honest answer for an honest question: "... what are they going to be willing to cut at all?"

    Anything and everything. Note that there is a difference between cut and defund entirely. Want to cut PBS/NPR/CPB by 10 % along with a program of cuts, I would be smack dab alongside that. Want to trim defense spending by pushing for more efficiency? Sure, base closure commissions from Bush the elder and Clinton's time period are saving us a ton of money now and did not reduce military readiness. Trim everything, as much as you can. The problem is that republicans and democrats are trying to cut based on their partisan beliefs, and with no willingness to compromise much, which means no cuts will happen, and both sides can blame the other(and both sides know that their path leads to no cuts).

    See, the reality is not at all like Ockham and X Factor are great examples of why there will probably be very few actual cuts this year. Instead of wanting to come up with a plan, to them it's just scoring points. They would rather score political points than actually get something accomplished. They are a part of the problem, not the solution.

    Bringing this back to public broadcasting, I don't think any one is saying they should be immune to cuts. They are fair game for cuts just the same as any one else. However, what is going on has nothing to do with the deficit. NPR/PBS is not a significant factor in that. Claiming that the efforts to defund them are an effort to reduce the debt is laughable. Creating a package of a number of programs, some popular with the left, some with the right, reducing funding by say 10 % to all of them is something that could save more money, and actually pass and get signed by the president. That is a real solution.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    I won't just automatically assume you meant this so I want to clarify.

    Do you think NPR is the liberal version of Rush Limbaugh?
    No, I didn't mean that. However my aversion to NPR might be equivalent to your aversion to Rush. J/K

    The diffence is I wouldn't be comfortable with government funding of any conservative talk.
    The government shouldn't be in the business at all. Free press is to keep an eye on and report on our government. How can they do that if they are being funded by the government?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  9. #169
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Not exactly a compelling argument though. My point is, if anyone agrees spending is a problem, shouldn't those that don't directly relate to life and limb be the first on the chopping block?
    The fact is that the reason we have a huge deficit is related to military spending, social security, and medicare. And leaving those in tact, while cutting other things, isn't going to fix the deficit. We need to cut those things, or we are never going to solve the problem. Proposing cuts to things like PBS is nothing but politicians pretending to do something about the problem, while letting the real problem just grow larger, and larger. So basically politicians being politicians.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #170
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I disagree, like others have stated, there is a benefit to having news stations that don't have to please their bosses.
    NPR would be better off without the funding. It would do away with them being attacked constantly for being too liberal.
    I also wish FOX would do away with "Fair and Balanced" so I could just enjoy right leaning programing without all the bitching. It might also do away with them trying so hard to be fair and balanced I feel like I'm watching CNN.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

Page 17 of 52 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •