View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #151
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,362
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Tea bagging conservatives are not noted for being "well-read".
    Depends on the Tea Partier. Some are well read. Some liberals, some conservatives, some democrats, some republicans, some libertarians are not. Comments like yours don't add to any debate, they only seek to minimize those they disagree with, usually done by those who can't actually articulate a reasoned argument(see what I did there? The irony was intentional).
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #152
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oaxaca, Mexico
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,579

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Not noted by the clannish liberals who really need to get out more. You know, having all of Noam Chomsky's books in pristine condition on your coffee table doesn't really make you well read. So, I know a few liberals and some conservatives who read. Come to think of it though, I don't know a single conservative who confuses Michael Moores movies with reality.

  3. #153
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,362
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt View Post
    Not noted by the clannish liberals who really need to get out more. You know, having all of Noam Chomsky's books in pristine condition on your coffee table doesn't really make you well read. So, I know a few liberals and some conservatives who read. Come to think of it though, I don't know a single conservative who confuses Michael Moores movies with reality.
    I know lots and lots of conservatives that confuse Beck and Rush with reality.

    See how easy that is?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #154
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    I'm a big fan of NPR and PBS.

    I could care less about the news coverage, my interests lie in the educational programming. I grew up on it, it was good stuff, and I want my kids to be able to enjoy it too. I wish Cookie Monster would go back to his lovable crack-addict self, but all good things come to an end.

    My wife's a big fan of the classical music programming. We're both fans of Prairie Home Companion.

    I don't know where they get their median-income numbers from, but they sure as hell didn't get them from my family. My dad's a retired cop, my mom's a retired library clerk, and mine is a single-income household.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    PBS has one of the best, most balanced news shows period, and a bunch of PBS programming is simply excellent. For the low cost, I have no problem with the continued funding.

    For those trying to make this into a cost savings issue, for gods sake, look at something that actually matters, not tiny budget items. This is typical of too many conservatives, who go on and on about the deficit and spending, but either go after things that are tiny in relation to the problem, or who design bills they know will fail, just so they can say "hey look, we proposed cuts and they got blocked". If you want to get credit for being a deficit hawk, then come up with plans to cut spending that will get passed, and will matter. In other words, compromise some.
    My take is, if Dems are throwing a fit over things like PBS and NPR that can survive withoutgovernment funding, what are they going to be willing to cut at all?
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  6. #156
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    My take is, if Dems are throwing a fit over things like PBS and NPR that can survive withoutgovernment funding, what are they going to be willing to cut at all?
    Anything that Republicans like: Defense for one. Any corporate subsidies for another. The military is evil (only when they're not evil), the Defense Department in particular and corporations / ceo's and Wall Street are greedy evil fat cats who are destroying the middle class. But then, the subsidation of the lower class via welfare has to be increased due to social inequities and the need for social justice you see. So there really won't be "cuts" per se, just a rearranging of funds away from things Republicans want and for things Democrats want.

    When in reality we can't afford either Republican or Democrats plan. The cuts have to be broad and deep and across all things. Defense, Welfare and Social programs, entitlements such as SS, Medicare and Medicaid. I favor a flat cut across every single area of 15% over the next 5 years, increasing to 20% in 10 years, while changing the tax rate to a flat 23% fixed rate for everyone - no exceptions. If you make a dime, 23% of that dime is collected. Then the states can cut their own areas to make sure they can get out of the red - and in about 20-25 years we'll be dug out of this mess, assuming of course no one screws it up.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #157
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Absolutely not, I would be in favor of increasing their funding. All industrial democracies have public funding. Commercial stations are biased by their advertisers, NPR and PBS are not dependent on advertisers.

    And You are Welcome
    By being government funded, they have reason to come out on the side of the government while reporting the news. See, that works both ways.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  8. #158
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    By being government funded, they have reason to come out on the side of the government while reporting the news. See, that works both ways.
    Right, because that's so true of the BBC -- one of the world's most respected news sources.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #159
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    PBS has one of the best, most balanced news shows period, and a bunch of PBS programming is simply excellent. For the low cost, I have no problem with the continued funding.

    For those trying to make this into a cost savings issue, for gods sake, look at something that actually matters, not tiny budget items. This is typical of too many conservatives, who go on and on about the deficit and spending, but either go after things that are tiny in relation to the problem, or who design bills they know will fail, just so they can say "hey look, we proposed cuts and they got blocked". If you want to get credit for being a deficit hawk, then come up with plans to cut spending that will get passed, and will matter. In other words, compromise some.
    Sorry, but this is typical of many liberals who claim to support fiscal responsibility but then accuse anyone who proposes any actual cuts of being mean-spirited or partisan. I agree by comparison, the funding is pretty small, but, when looking at other potential cuts, it seems like paying for radio and tv stations should be among the first to go. Besides, it seems that the most common argument against cutting the funding here is, "But I like it."
    Last edited by X Factor; 03-19-11 at 05:04 PM.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  10. #160
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    That's the most common root of any argument against cutting any spending not related directly to life and limb.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •