View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    And in the Founding Father's day, how many private corporate media conglomerates existed that owned the majority of media outlets?

    The Founding Fathers weren't just against government tyranny. They were against tyranny in general. Whether it came from governments or from private corporate organizations.
    Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.


    Gee, look at that. Not one mention of restricting freedom of speech of anyone with money.


    Also, what you're saying is that you are not aware of the existence of ABC, NBC, SeeBS, MSNBC, and CNN as counters to Fox News, not to mention Huffypoo, the Daily Kooks, the various print media on line and the print media still using the corpses of trees, almost all of which promote the leftwing dogma shared by NPR that is so damaging to this nation.

    NPR is redundant, as is PBS.


    There's a completely free market for opposing and alternative viewpoints out there. There's is no need for an unconstitutional federally funded propaganda network, and the mere fact that it is unconstitutional makes it all the more important that it be eliminated if the nation is to ever regain the protections of the Constitution.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, that is simply a slippery slope fallacy. Just because the government can do some things does not mean it can do anything it wants.

    It's a fallacy to call it a fallacy, as any student of history can point to a thousand examples of despots who rouse the rabble to gain control, only to be worse than the government they replaced.

    Julius Caesar.
    Stalin.
    Mao.
    Pol Pot.
    Idi Amin.
    Gadhaffi.
    Saddam Hussein.
    Obama (he's on the list because of how the Obama Care act was imposed, not to mention his penchant for golf).
    Che Gueverra.
    Castro.
    Others not invoked because of Godwin's Rule.

  3. #133
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Limbaugh peddles ideas? I think not.
    You didn't respond to the topic of the market, you insulted Limbaugh. FAIL
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #134
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,195

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    It's a fallacy to call it a fallacy, as any student of history can point to a thousand examples of despots who rouse the rabble to gain control, only to be worse than the government they replaced.


    Stalin.
    .
    Stalin was worse than Lenin?

    If you just mean the communists, I'm not sure that I can see how they were worse than the Romanovs. About the same, perhaps, but it would take some doing to actually be worse.

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Stalin was worse than Lenin?

    If you just mean the communists, I'm not sure that I can see how they were worse than the Romanovs. About the same, perhaps, but it would take some doing to actually be worse.
    yes, Stalin was worse than Lenin. The deliberate starvation of the Ukraine dwarfs in comparison anything Lenin did or the Romanovs before them. There's nothing in history before Stalin to compare to in sheer numbers and brutality.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    The answer to the question is entirely meaningless, assuming there even was an undeniable factual answer the real answer to the question is "Its not worth out time to ask it." The NPR PBS issue isn't about budgets at all, its about A) politics and B) ideology and nothing to do with C) practicality. Many conservatives oppose funding it because they believe they are news sources which aren't unbiased, and because its part of their ideology that semi-private organizations shouldn't receive government funding regardless of what they do.

    Problem is, as many many many people here have pointed out, the money is pennies in comparison to the real problem. You can argue an ideological argument, and may feel very strongly about it because it your ideology, but there's no denying that whoever "wins" this battle isn't going to have much to show for it results. In other words, the amount of energy being invested in this fight, is far greater than any gain anyone can get out of it. If this was a car we were all trying to get as fast as possible, this fight would be likened to an argument over its color. Some of us think red is cooler, other think blue is the way to go, but even if we get our way its not going to have any affect on what really matters.

    So you have to ask yourself, whats more important being ideologically correct or actually changing something?

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    So you have to ask yourself, whats more important being ideologically correct or actually changing something?

    You're assuming symbolism has no meaning. Certainly the amount of money saved is small compared to Obama's multi-trillion dollar budget.

    So why are those on the left so insistent we not cut their pet propaganda broadcasting network?

    Because losing that gem will highlight to the public the growing impotence of the Left.

    While all informed observers know perfectly well that the Americans control only the House and the Left controls the Senate, the White House and too many of the politically motivated courts, nevertheless the Americans are obligated to establish their ideological bona fides by standing firm on the divorce of the Left's propaganda station from the taxpayer funded tit.

    Symbolically it's important.

    Failing to provide the symbolic context of the struggle will preclude the ability to factually alter the outcome of the contest in favor of the American side of the struggle. Hence the symbolism is of as great and fundamental importance as the future struggles over other more structural aspects of ending the Left's deficits and restoring fiscal maturity to the United States.


    If it wasn't important symbolically the Left would let it die. They cannot afford the appearance of losing any of their apparatus. Hence the redshirt violence in Wisconsin and elsewhere, hence the hysterical response to what is cut and dried simple correction of a constitutional violation over NPR.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Snorkum View Post
    You're assuming symbolism has no meaning. Certainly the amount of money saved is small compared to Obama's multi-trillion dollar budget.

    So why are those on the left so insistent we not cut their pet propaganda broadcasting network?

    Because losing that gem will highlight to the public the growing impotence of the Left.

    While all informed observers know perfectly well that the Americans control only the House and the Left controls the Senate, the White House and too many of the politically motivated courts, nevertheless the Americans are obligated to establish their ideological bona fides by standing firm on the divorce of the Left's propaganda station from the taxpayer funded tit.

    Symbolically it's important.

    Failing to provide the symbolic context of the struggle will preclude the ability to factually alter the outcome of the contest in favor of the American side of the struggle. Hence the symbolism is of as great and fundamental importance as the future struggles over other more structural aspects of ending the Left's deficits and restoring fiscal maturity to the United States.


    If it wasn't important symbolically the Left would let it die. They cannot afford the appearance of losing any of their apparatus. Hence the redshirt violence in Wisconsin and elsewhere, hence the hysterical response to what is cut and dried simple correction of a constitutional violation over NPR.
    Just for future notice, I do read most posts in a topic, and I will read yours however I won't respond to them because they defy all logic and reason. I mean only people who agree with you politically are American? Come on there's never been a universal opinion about anything in this country, but I'm not going to write an argument as to why liberals are American citizens because its not going to accomplish anything.

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    01-18-13 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Just for future notice, I do read most posts in a topic, and I will read yours however I won't respond to them because they defy all logic and reason. I mean only people who agree with you politically are American? Come on there's never been a universal opinion about anything in this country, but I'm not going to write an argument as to why liberals are American citizens because its not going to accomplish anything.
    Well, since Mayor Snorkum's posts ARE logic and reason you won't have any excuse to not respond.

    If you wish to deny the effectiveness of symbolism in political disputes then you are being both unreasonable and illogical. you may care to wonder way another poster repeatedly used the phrase "ultimate solution" rather than "final solution". You may wish to wonder why, if NPR's budgetary impact is so slight (yet Mayor Snorkum could easily find a thousand NPR sized items to delete from this government's budget) that the Left is having such a fit over it.

    It's because of the symbolism.

    Yes, only people who support the principles this nation was founded on can be considered true Americans. Those demanding wealth re-distribution, free rides, special treatment, or exemption from personal responsibility and consequences never absorbed the meaning of what it is to be a true American. They're at best "citizens of the United States", not Americans.

    One trying to destroy what America stands for cannot be an American himself.


    Again, the word "American" is a symbol, and using the correct symbols is essential in any discussion, as is ensuring those symbols are not misapplied by others.

    And it has been noted that you refused to address the refutation of your claim that the battle over NPR is insignificant.

  10. #140
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    You know, here's my stance on that.

    You're right in that I wouldn't want tax dollars to go to Fox News. But I wouldn't want my tax dollars to go to Air America either.

    The reason for that is because all they do is political opinion. Which is not the same as political discussion nor the same as political news.

    Now if there was a conservative news show that provided discussion or news without the opinion part, I would probably check it out or support it's ability to get tax dollars. But this is because I don't believe in having few sources of information and news.

    The problem with Fox News and also MSNBC is that they give opinionated slants to all they do. These slants are obvious to the other side, which is why the other side never tunes in to the opposing channel.

    But why does Fox News and MSNBC give opinionated slants in the first place? Because the executives there know it's the best way to maintain an audience and so can command high ratings which they can then demand high revenues for advertisements.

    So, yeah, actually I wouldn't mind tax dollars going to shows that give conservative slants on news, discussions, and education - as long as it took out the opinions.
    To say that NPR and PBS are less biased than those two networks misses the point. As long as people are reporting they will have biases, and this will show in their broadcasts. Public broadcasters show may try to show both sides; I think that they do a much better job than most reporters, but they are still not perfect. Funding opinionated news is inevitable as long as it goes to humans.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •