View Poll Results: Defund NPR and PBS!

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree!

    63 51.64%
  • I disagree.

    59 48.36%
Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 519

Thread: De-fund NPR and PBS

  1. #91
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Disney, Nickelodeon and other tv stations can fill those roles.
    Again, they can't because those private networks rely on advertising revenue in order to profit. Which means they'll put in whatever content is the most profitable. Which means they will likely put more entertaining content than educational content.

    So, again, because private networks put out entertainment content in order to have high profit margins because that's the point of a business which a private network is, don't you think that a public network focused on educational content would be better for our society?
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  2. #92
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So you got nothing and your answer is no its not constitutional since its nothing in the constitution for tax payer funded tv and radio stations.
    Promote the general welfare. That's without even really thinking about it, and going through the Constitution.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  3. #93
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    LOL! What? How?
    Yes, they are news channels, not entertainment channels like Fox News, and MSNBC.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #94
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    So you got nothing and your answer is no its not constitutional since its nothing in the constitution for tax payer funded tv and radio stations.
    You obviously don't understand the concept of implied powers, or you didn't click the link, or you just stuck your fingers in your ears, and went nah, nah, nah.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #95
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yes, they are news channels, not entertainment channels like Fox News, and MSNBC.
    So what? What business does the government have in news channels?


  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Again, they can't because those private networks rely on advertising revenue in order to profit. Which means they'll put in whatever content is the most profitable. Which means they will likely put more entertaining content than educational content.

    So, again, because private networks put out entertainment content in order to have high profit margins because that's the point of a business which a private network is, don't you think that a public network focused on educational content would be better for our society?
    The TELEVISION is not your teacher........it is not your child's teacher......neither is the toaster......or the radio.....or any other appliance in your home.

    If DNC GOVERNMENT TV was actually educating "the children".....our public schools wouldnt be turning out the abundace on functioning illiterates that it is. But thats DNC GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS.......and a Failure for another time.
    .
    .
    .

  7. #97
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    So what? What business does the government have in news channels?
    This point has been expressed many times in this thread.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Promote the general welfare. That's without even really thinking about it, and going through the Constitution.
    "If Congress can employ money indefinitely to the general welfare,
    and are the sole and supreme judges of the general welfare,
    they may take the care of religion into their own hands;
    they may appoint teachers in every State, county and parish
    and pay them out of their public treasury;
    they may take into their own hands the education of children,
    establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union;
    they may assume the provision of the poor;
    they may undertake the regulation of all roads other than post-roads;
    in short, every thing, from the highest object of state legislation
    down to the most minute object of police,
    would be thrown under the power of Congress.... Were the power
    of Congress to be established in the latitude contended for,
    it would subvert the very foundations, and transmute the very nature
    of the limited Government established by the people of America."


    -------James Madison--Father of the Constitution--Hater of Liberals

    With but one paragraph, Jim destroys the entire Democrat Party and everything they stand for.....gotta give him props. So much for your fantasy land interpretation of "Promote The General Welfare".
    .
    .
    .
    .

  9. #99
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    I am actually a pretty big fan of NPR. I do not always agree with their analysis, but they do very good job of going in depth, and providing a well-balanced report. That is why I support defunding it and PBS. It may seem like the station only caters to a select audience, but I believe that the station only received about 8% of its income from the government last year. Enough donors support the program for Big Bird to live if congress pulls the plug.

    Another issue is bias. Yes, public media funding makes up a tiny portion of the budget, and getting rid of it would not seriously affect the deficit. However, many people take issue with giving any of their money to a media organization that they do not want to support. Many people here have remarked on NPR and PBS's impartiality. While I agree that these outlets do an excellent job of showing both sides, saying that the stations are impartial sounds like the hard right-wingers insisting until their faces turn blue that Fox News is the most unbiased source. I know that each one of you, would not want to give your tax dollars to Fox News, even if it had a small impact on your wallet. Yes, I know you'll say that Fox News is way more biased. I won't disagree, but both have their biases. No matter how little that bias shows itself, it will create opponents who are ideologically opposed to the reporter's analyses.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  10. #100
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: De-fund NPR and PBS

    I personally place a hell of a lot more importance on accuracy than bias.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •