View Poll Results: Are you buying Iodine to protect yourself if Japan's reactor's meltdown?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    0 0%
  • No

    59 89.39%
  • If it gets worse I'll look for some

    7 10.61%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 90

Thread: Are you buying Iodine?

  1. #41
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Are you buying Iodine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    People who buy iodine also buy survival seed vaults and gold.
    You buy gold.....
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Are you buying Iodine?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    You buy gold.....
    I was talking about real gold

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Are you buying Iodine?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    To those saying that there is no concern... maybe you didn't see :


    Notice the stuff falling back down?? Those were spent rods that are radioactive waste that was kept on site.

    So, in many respects this is an event WORSE then Chernobyl. Also, let's not forget this situation is STILL not anywhere NEAR under control.

    Japan earthquake and tsunami: Fukushima nulear plant radiation leak could kill people | Mail Online
    How Much Fuel Is at Risk at Fukushima? - ScienceInsider

    Don't worry though, most of you that will do nothing in the face of the radioactive cloud working it's way towards north america at this point (already starting to arrive from the 'minor' explosion... NOT the BIG explosion from the linked video that would still be a few days away), well, in 5-10-20 years when you or your children get cancers from exposure to radioactive particles (NOT THE SAME as getting an x-ray) I'm sure that it will get blamed on something else, like was also done in chernobyl...

    BTW : Scientists conclude: Chernobyl killed nearly 1 million people : Climate and Capitalism
    It's my understanding that a great deal of the problem will be resolved once the plants have power restored. Yes, there's a bit of a mess to deal with, but the world ended when the Deep Horizon blew up, so I'm afraid we're fresh out of apocalypses at the moment.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Are you buying Iodine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's my understanding that a great deal of the problem will be resolved once the plants have power restored.
    Maybe once the bury the plant in several feet of concrete... but, to my understanding, which is FAR from expert level, the areas directly surrounding the plant have to deal with uranium and plutonium contamination. This had FAR more radioactive material, the site ALSO served as a nuclear waste dumping ground and the containment has failed on several plants.

    Those within the 200km range... well, that's where the most devastating effects will be had. Since the prevailing winds tend to go out to sea that is a saving grace since the truly deadly particles of uranium and plutonium will mostly fall into the oceans... (we can expect to see a larger fish die-off again because of this)

    The further out from the reactor the more the radioactive particles appear in the form of radioactive iodine. Which you can at least protect yourself from with the stable iodine... but you don't want to abuse that stuff either because that can have severe side-effects from that as well...

    With Chernobyl this radioactive iodine encircled the globe for YEARS before dissipating into the background radiation.

    Now here's the big lie of the industry : Getting an x-ray where you get radiation projected onto you is one thing and external radiation such as this well, too much will cause problems, but it's generally safe.

    What will occur is that you will be taking in radioactive particles which causes MUCH more harm because the radiation is attacking you from the inside.... at least if you fill your thyroid at the appropriate time, any absorption of radioactive iodine will at least pass through your kidneys and that's the extent that it can damage you.

    Yes, there's a bit of a mess to deal with, but the world ended when the Deep Horizon blew up, so I'm afraid we're fresh out of apocalypses at the moment.
    No, this is a devastating event that will have consequences... well... forever for all intentions, but this is NOT an end of the world event, and it's actually more important that you NOT panic, because any panic would cause more havoc then the radiation might...

    Just accept that if you're not prepared and suddenly "oh crap we got a MASSIVE surge of radiation, take your iodine NOW"...
    THose that don't have any will have to hope that the government doesn't pull another katrina level response.

    Oh, and women and children first. Children especially because they have fast growing cells that are more susceptible.

    Don't be greedy guys, especially if you're 35-40 or older.

    TO say this is nothing is severely downplaying... this is a VERY serious issue that will have long-term effects EVEN IF they contain everything, but we must also maintain perspective and handle the issue in a controlled rational fashion.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Are you buying Iodine?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Maybe once the bury the plant in several feet of concrete...
    Well as I hear once they have power they can bring the many safety systems back online. Some cores are still relatively intact and just need the normal cooling system restored.

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    the areas directly surrounding the plant have to deal with uranium and plutonium contamination.
    If we can bury an entire nuke plant, with bodies unrecovered, in the desert, then I'm sure we can remove contaminated structures.

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    the site ALSO served as a nuclear waste dumping ground and the containment has failed on several plants.
    I don't think it's accurate to paint the storage of spent fuel rods on site, in strict accordance with established procedure, as a "dump". Also, containment failed because the power eventually went out, not because anyone was doing anything wrong. This isn't the oil spill where a few people made catastrophically bad decisions. This was a natural disaster.

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    (we can expect to see a larger fish die-off again because of this)
    We can expect them to recover, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    The further out from the reactor the more the radioactive particles appear in the form of radioactive iodine. Which you can at least protect yourself from with the stable iodine... but you don't want to abuse that stuff either because that can have severe side-effects from that as well...

    With Chernobyl this radioactive iodine encircled the globe for YEARS before dissipating into the background radiation.
    Yeah this isn't Chernobyl. Not even close.

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Now here's the big lie of the industry : Getting an x-ray where you get radiation projected onto you is one thing and external radiation such as this well, too much will cause problems, but it's generally safe.

    What will occur is that you will be taking in radioactive particles which causes MUCH more harm because the radiation is attacking you from the inside.... at least if you fill your thyroid at the appropriate time, any absorption of radioactive iodine will at least pass through your kidneys and that's the extent that it can damage you.
    Don't forget your Y2K rations.

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    No, this is a devastating event that will have consequences... well... forever for all intentions, but this is NOT an end of the world event, and it's actually more important that you NOT panic, because any panic would cause more havoc then the radiation might...

    Just accept that if you're not prepared and suddenly "oh crap we got a MASSIVE surge of radiation, take your iodine NOW"...
    THose that don't have any will have to hope that the government doesn't pull another katrina level response.

    Oh, and women and children first. Children especially because they have fast growing cells that are more susceptible.

    Don't be greedy guys, especially if you're 35-40 or older.
    CNN Food Central Y2K supplies A preparedness checklist

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    TO say this is nothing is severely downplaying... this is a VERY serious issue that will have long-term effects EVEN IF they contain everything, but we must also maintain perspective and handle the issue in a controlled rational fashion.
    We aren't handling anything here. This is discussion forum, not an emergency team, and we're average Joes, not trained nuke engineers.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-20-11 at 07:47 AM.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Are you buying Iodine?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well as I hear once they have power they can bring the many safety systems back online. Some cores are still relatively intact and just need the normal cooling system restored.
    There's a fair bit that's already been openly exposed, in the explosions depleted rods were projected thousands of feet in the air (which would have remained unknown if not for a japanese child with a video cellphone).

    So, yes, I agree that once they get power back they will be able to contain the problem, HOWEVER, there's already been a heavy release of radioactive debris, and whatever of that debris gets caught in the jetstream (mainly the radioactive iodine since other radioactive debris like uranium and plutonium are so heavy that it can't disperse as far) will spread around the world... possibly for years... the issue then becomes the concentration of the stuff and that's the determination you would need before dosing yourself with iodine.

    If we can bury an entire nuke plant, with bodies unrecovered, in the desert, then I'm sure we can remove contaminated structures.
    Well, it depends on the outcome... which, from what I've heard there's 3 main possibilities :
    1 - Complete meltdown, which just means the areas gotta be locked down (20-150 sq km)
    2 - Coolant maintained with a slow leak of radiation.... essentially forever
    3 - A nuclear explosion, which is less likely but would be ABSOLUTELY devastating for much of the world.

    The BEST outcome would be as you said, getting power back and successfully repairing the coolant systems... then it's only what's been released that needs a cleanup.

    I don't think it's accurate to paint the storage of spent fuel rods on site, in strict accordance with established procedure, as a "dump". Also, containment failed because the power eventually went out, not because anyone was doing anything wrong. This isn't the oil spill where a few people made catastrophically bad decisions. This was a natural disaster.
    Strictly speaking you're probably right... the point was that they have kept 40 years of spent fuel rods on the site... and that got shot thousands of feet into the sky in the #3 explosion.

    And no, I'm not placing blame as though this was human error...

    We can expect them to recover, too.
    Of course, this is far from a 'world ending event'... but at the same time we cannot downplay the severity of the problem.

    Yeah this isn't Chernobyl. Not even close.
    In many ways it is WORSE then Chernobyl... BUT, the overall implications will NOT be as devastating BECAUSE the prevailing winds and jetstream move into the oceans.

    Don't forget your Y2K rations.
    non-sequitar... but ya... it may become a prudent move to test radiation levels in food... and consider that this would be bio-accumulative, and so a cow eating radiated grass while being radiated itself and then you eat that radiated meat and drink the radiated milk... though, honestly, I don't expect the situation to be THAT bad...

    It's the rule of 3... 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water or 3 weeks without food, 3 months left to your own devices in the wild (though there are many examples of people surviving longer).

    My grandparents lived through the great depression, and they told me about what they had to do to survive as a family... and you better believe that they stored 3 months worth of non-perishable food... NOT because they were living in fear that there would be a shortage, but JUST IN CASE there was a shortage.

    We aren't handling anything here. This is discussion forum, not an emergency team, and we're average Joes, not trained nuke engineers.
    No, we aren't handling anything relevant to this disaster, but we STILL must handle ourselves... and I don't mean we should delude ourselves into thinking everything is just fine... it's better to be prepared and not need it then to be put into a situation where you are not prepared but have these needs.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Are you buying Iodine?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    No, we aren't handling anything relevant to this disaster, but we STILL must handle ourselves... and I don't mean we should delude ourselves into thinking everything is just fine... it's better to be prepared and not need it then to be put into a situation where you are not prepared but have these needs.
    Before lecturing others on properly handling themselves, look in the mirror. You just said a possible outcome was a nuclear explosion. Please, where is your source claiming mushroom clouds are imminent?

  8. #48
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: Are you buying Iodine?

    I gots da straight skinny from a tall blonde on da tube. She say a little that radiation stuff be good for ya. GE just bringing us good things. Right.

  9. #49
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Are you buying Iodine?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBook View Post
    Even though my state is somewhat close to Japan I don't have plans to buy any. If it is confirmed that the reactor has melted down and we start getting reports of radiation coming this way, then we'll see.
    i live in Japan, and I'm not buying any. you could literally drink the tapwater that has the amounts of I-131 discovered already every day for a month and be perfectly fine.

  10. #50
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Are you buying Iodine?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    There's a fair bit that's already been openly exposed, in the explosions depleted rods were projected thousands of feet in the air (which would have remained unknown if not for a japanese child with a video cellphone)
    the hydrogen explosions were caused by venting radioactive gas into the space above the reactor, had they knocked the rods out from their blockers (they didn't), they would have been pushed down.

    irrespective, the rods are still where they were; it's just that they are now partially melted in at least 3 and possibly 4 of the plants.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •