View Poll Results: Is Palin's political career over?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, she's toast

    15 48.39%
  • No, everything is fine

    8 25.81%
  • She can fix the mess. It's not too late.

    5 16.13%
  • Not sure, explain

    3 9.68%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76

Thread: Is Palin's political career over?

  1. #41
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Palin's political career over?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    You made some good points... like if she was ready for the limelight and was a strong candidate, he would have had a real good chance
    I don't think so. Remember the famous saying attributed to James Carvelle, "it';s the economy, stupid"? With the economy where it was at come election, McCain could have been a perfect republican candidate with a perfect running mate and still lost. It was made the worse since he had to energize his base during the general, which was the exact wrong thing to have to be doing with the economy bad. He was tying himself with the republicans who were largely being blamed for the economy.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #42
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Palin's political career over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Because you need the base to come out and vote for you. Supporting you does no good if you don't care enough to stand in line and vote. Further, a weak to the base candidate can loose votes to third parties...for example Gore.
    I find it hard to believe that a dedicated base will come out in the primaries but not show up in the general election simply because the nominee was too moderate, but I might be wrong.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is Palin's political career over?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    In that case I'd have to repeat my question from post #15, if you were McCain's advisor in 2008 which potential running mate do you think would have been the best choice?
    Remembering back during that time, I'm really not sure of someone that would've been better. Its easy to play a bit of arm chair quarterback and grab some names that are bigger now that weren't even on the radar in 2008, like Paul Ryan, but that's really not productive nor realistic.

    I think the senator "moderates"/liberals that were rumored such as Lieberman or Graham would've been disasterous. I think the executive "moderates" and stereotypical Republicans like Guilliani or Romney wouldn't have really helped him much at all. I think your outliers would've been iffy...for example Huckabee may've helped with the base and may've not hurt independents quite as much as Palin, but didn't have the potential Palin had for countering the Obama grasp on message. Paul would've energized a small portion of the base while keeping the other side unhappy, gained him some independents, but would've likely been worse off than Palin.

    As I said, my issue wasn't with the pick...but with how the pick was done, and how the campaign was handled after said pick.

    If I was McCain's advisor back in 2008, from a completely political science strategy mindset, the moment it looked like the Primaries were locked up (and during the long wait for Obama/Hillary to be done) I would've suggested to start looking around the governor ranks for a minority, preferably young and charismatic, with a good conservative pedigree. I would like one from a state who either dealt with some kind of issues that we could translate to a national stage or has some decent handle on national issues, or at least make a selection early enough to let them study up on those things.

    Executive...you want to hammer Obama's inexperience, which in part is his lack of executive experience. McCain doesn't have any himself, though at least has military experience which is part of what the President's job is (Commander in Chief). By getting an executive you have the potential to push that issue a bit.

    Minority...this removes or at least reduces the "historic" notion of the campaign. Strategically speaking, it reasonable to suggest people who are previously not interested in voting might do so if they feel it will be a "historic" event or a part of "history". By allowing your ticke to fall in that same fashion you reduce the appeal of this.

    Age...this, along with the above, allows for a better image for the campaigned. We'd want to push his inexperience, at the same time we don't want to look old, crusty, and out of touch. This would allow McCain to look Presidential and wise while having someone who interjects energy and a fresh perspective onto the ticket.

    Conservative credentials...McCain would not win over the conservative base. Especially after the method of his primary win. From the moment the Primaries ended I would have realized where he stands with the conservative base and start planning to get a bonified conservative VP while pushing McCain to stay the course with regards to his true moderate stances and tendencies. This way he wouldn't have appeared phony by putting on an act that wouldn't fool conservatives and would just annoy independents.

    Issue....with an issue that could be made to expand into a national thing, then we have a basis to jump off of. Be it getting a states budget back on track, dealing with health care or education, energy production, etc. This would give them something we could use as the initial focal point for them to talk on as they get their legs under them more fully with talking about all national things.

    Now, I don't know who all the governors were during 2008, but my guess is few really fit that mold any better than Palin did. Which is why I don't have a huge problem with Palin's pick from a strategic stand point but in a procedural one.

  4. #44
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Is Palin's political career over?

    In my opinion, Sarah Palin isn't interested in an elected position anymore - it just too much work. She's happy just making the money she does. John McCain did her a huge favor by picking her as his running mate, it has made her rich and famous.


  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Is Palin's political career over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian
    considering how many lefties on the board desperatly want her to win the GOP nomination in 2012 (and completely believe she will), the current poll results must be in error.
    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    The poll was "what do you think," not "what do you want."
    They believe she will win... therefore the current results of the poll must be wrong... or the lefties are wrong, and that could never happen

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Is Palin's political career over?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I just think that the gop pandering to that base is hurting the gop in the long run... but that's my opinion. The Tea Party built their success in part by saying it wasn't about the religious base, but lowering the debt... People tend to care more about issues that affect them, than OMG that woman is in her 40s and has 5 kids because she so profile and loves Jesus.
    The problem with people who obviously aren't who was being targeted nor the base trying to act as if they know what was the appealing thing for those people is that they routinely get it wrong.

    I'm part of the conservative base. I'm someone that identifes with the Tea Party. Sarah Palin didn't excite me because hse's got 5 kids and loves jesus. She excited me because she seemed to be fiscally and governmentally conservative and someone who was steadfast in her conservative views.

    I'm not talking about the long run...in which I COMPLETELY disagree with you...I wa talking about that election. If McCain couldn't get his base he basically had zero sizable bases that were leaning in his favor for that election because he sure as hell wasn't getting Independents to go majoritly in his direction by the time of the Palin pick and he sure wasn't going to get the base excited for decent turnout and donations on his own.

  7. #47
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Palin's political career over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Now, I don't know who all the governors were during 2008, but my guess is few really fit that mold any better than Palin did. Which is why I don't have a huge problem with Palin's pick from a strategic stand point but in a procedural one.
    If you look back at when it happened, Palin's pick was seen at first as huge. The problem was that she could not live up to the expectations, especially being a below average public speaker. Given time to groom her she would have been better however, and there really was no way of knowing that she would fare so badly as a speaker. It was not a bad pick on his part.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #48
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Palin's political career over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    They believe she will win... therefore the current results of the poll must be wrong... or the lefties are wrong, and that could never happen
    I think you need some more straw for the straw man you are building.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Is Palin's political career over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think you need some more straw for the straw man you are building.
    do you deny there are left leaning posters in here who firmly believe Palin will be the 2012 GOP nominee?

  10. #50
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Palin's political career over?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    They believe she will win... therefore the current results of the poll must be wrong... or the lefties are wrong, and that could never happen
    lol many "lefties" might want her to win, but in all honesty I don't think she will if she ran.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •