View Poll Results: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely

    5 13.16%
  • Absolutely not

    22 57.89%
  • Both cops and the court system should be held liable

    7 18.42%
  • Other (please explain)

    4 10.53%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 87

Thread: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes?

  1. #61
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    A large portion. The big cities and the rural townships. What's left? Of course, we're not El Salvador, but I don't intend to condone our corruption because some police somewhere else in the world is more corrupt than we are.
    And you have some sort of evidence to back this up?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #62
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    It's not that, we need to stop equating prosecutorial success with the amount of convictions a prosecutor gets.
    Then what defines success for the prosecution?

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Then what defines success for the prosecution?
    Doing their job, and getting a conviction at all cost isn't their job.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #64
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Or it could mean that the defense lawyer was better than the DA lawyer. Or it could be that a crucial witness changed their mind about testifying. Or it could be any of a number of things. Your last sentence is a huge strawman and very cheap.
    Your theories regarding success of one lawyer over another and the circumstances surrounding a case are irrelevant. This is about the life of a citizen and their reputation which remains on the line. Our judicial system should never be based on how many people we can nab on the streets and how many we can lock up.

  5. #65
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Doing their job, and getting a conviction at all cost isn't their job.
    Their job is to represent the government or "the people" and to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a person is guilty of a crime. If they don't, fine. The case is settled, but it doesn't negate the fact that the suspect could have possibly faced serious consequences and difficult financial straits as a result of the case, which was proven to be a waste of time and money of everyone involved.

  6. #66
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And you have some sort of evidence to back this up?
    Are you kidding? Haven't you read anything about the corruption of big city police departments, especially NYC and LA?

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Their job is to represent the government or "the people" and to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a person is guilty of a crime. If they don't, fine. The case is settled, but it doesn't negate the fact that the suspect could have possibly faced serious consequences and difficult financial straits as a result of the case, which was proven to be a waste of time and money of everyone involved.
    But that doesn't mean that the courts(which are paid by our taxes, so in essence we would still be footing this bill) should pay because someone was found not guilty.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #68
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But that doesn't mean that the courts(which are paid by our taxes, so in essence we would still be footing this bill) should pay because someone was found not guilty.
    If it means the person in question felt severe damages as a result of their case, yes it should. If the court can issue punitive damages for private parties harming each other, certainly they can do it for the public harming a private party. After all, the convicts pay for their crimes, why shouldn't the court pay for its mistakes?

  9. #69
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    If it means the person in question felt severe damages as a result of their case, yes it should. If the court can issue punitive damages for private parties harming each other, certainly they can do it for the public harming a private party. After all, the convicts pay for their crimes, why shouldn't the court pay for its mistakes?
    Is finding someone not guilty a mistake by the court though? A trial is the prosecutions change to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the person is guilty, if they can't do that, then our system has worked.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Well, let me see, if there's not enough evidence to convict you of a crime, does that mean you should have been tried in the first place? Are we all suspects of a crime until proven not guilty?
    Thanks. Your idiotic and ridiculous suggestion is as insane as I thought it was. My vote would be no. Potentially having substantial financial harm done to an officer because a Jury doesn't convict would make law enforcement essentially paralyzed from acting. This is one of the most retarded and victim mentality focused ideas I've seen ever on these forums.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •