View Poll Results: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely

    5 13.16%
  • Absolutely not

    22 57.89%
  • Both cops and the court system should be held liable

    7 18.42%
  • Other (please explain)

    4 10.53%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 87

Thread: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes?

  1. #51
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Well, let me see, if there's not enough evidence to convict you of a crime, does that mean you should have been tried in the first place? Are we all suspects of a crime until proven not guilty?
    Or it could mean that the defense lawyer was better than the DA lawyer. Or it could be that a crucial witness changed their mind about testifying. Or it could be any of a number of things. Your last sentence is a huge strawman and very cheap.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #52
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And this massive corruption is where?

    Seriously, there is no guarantee in the constitution that the occasional mistake might not happen. It will. It sucks, but that is just the way it is, and it is a whole lot better than making random changes to a working system.
    Watch the movie which is based on a true story. We're talking about the entire New York police department during the 50s, 60s, and 70s. You think things have changed radically? In my little town, there's plenty of small and medium-size police corruption to fill the department. In LA, don't get me started.

  3. #53
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt View Post
    What a mature reply? I'm out of here. With your level of maturity I'm assuming you will run afoul of the law again.
    I usually remain very mature until an opponent says something like I have a "hard on" for the cops. I suppose since his lean was the same as yours, his erection statement was mature while my response (which was geared towards his low level of maturity, I won't deny) was not.

  4. #54
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Watch the movie which is based on a true story. We're talking about the entire New York police department during the 50s, 60s, and 70s. You think things have changed radically? In my little town, there's plenty of small and medium-size police corruption to fill the department. In LA, don't get me started.
    So you are claiming the whole police system is corrupt? A large portion of it?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #55
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    No, it would just make prosecutorial misconduct more, and more prevalent because there would even be more pressure on them to get a conviction. This would undermine our whole court system.
    Perhaps we should start repealing unnecessary victimless crimes in order to curb that problem.

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    Perhaps we should start repealing unnecessary victimless crimes in order to curb that problem.
    It's not that, we need to stop equating prosecutorial success with the amount of convictions a prosecutor gets.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  7. #57
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Or it could mean that the defense lawyer was better than the DA lawyer. Or it could be that a crucial witness changed their mind about testifying. Or it could be any of a number of things. Your last sentence is a huge strawman and very cheap.
    The burden of evidence NEVER is on the defense, always on the prosecution. If there's not enough evidence to begin with, there should never have been a charge. Take my charge for instance. I'm prosecuted for being under the influence of a controlled substance. Given that I'm completely innocent of the crime, why is the D.A. moving forward with the charge? Would you like me to show you the toxicology report?

  8. #58
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,941
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    In general, would you agree with a new law that requires individual police officers to pay, out of their own pockets, all costs that accrue from a false or wrongfully charged crime?
    Only if there's some sort of accompanying misconduct, negligence or some such on the part of the officer. But in general, no.
    I may be wrong.

  9. #59
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by ElijahGalt View Post
    The burden of evidence NEVER is on the defense, always on the prosecution. If there's not enough evidence to begin with, there should never have been a charge. Take my charge for instance. I'm prosecuted for being under the influence of a controlled substance. Given that I'm completely innocent of the crime, why is the D.A. moving forward with the charge? Would you like me to show you the toxicology report?
    I have no clue about your case, nor does one case make a pattern of abuse or corruption. Now please do me a favor, reread the post you responded to, and actually respond to what I wrote. Your response was a total nonsequitor.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #60
    Mr. Professional
    Mensch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,666
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should individual police officers pay out-of-pocket for wrongfully charged crimes

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you are claiming the whole police system is corrupt? A large portion of it?
    A large portion. The big cities and the rural townships. What's left? Of course, we're not El Salvador, but I don't intend to condone our corruption because some police somewhere else in the world is more corrupt than we are.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •