View Poll Results: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 80.56%
  • No

    9 8.33%
  • Not sure

    4 3.70%
  • Other

    8 7.41%
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 201

Thread: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

  1. #81
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    This is the fourth worst nuclear disaster in Japanese history.

    1. Hiroshima
    2. Nagasaki
    3. Godzilla
    4. This.
    no, they managed to turn a profit with Godzilla...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #82
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    no, they managed to turn a profit with Godzilla...
    But at what cost?

  3. #83
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    But at what cost?
    Costs be damned, man !!!
    It made a profit, that is all that matters. Plus there was the side benefit of Tokyo getting their downtown renovated.

    Haven't you read the Ferengi rules of acquisition?
    Last edited by UtahBill; 03-13-11 at 03:29 PM.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #84
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,050

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post


    'splain that, Lucy......
    This depends on how bad the situation actually becomes, but from the looks of it right now, I don't see the majority of the population being exposed to huge increases in radiation. However, small increases in doses of radiation seems to cause an increase in the amount of female children born to those men exposed to the small increase (at least this is what most of the nukes that I worked with have observed). We really wish that someone would do a study on this because the first thing you notice during nuke school is that most of your instructors and advisors have daughters. And almost any time a guy says his wife had a son, she got pregnant while he was either on shore duty or while the ship had been in a long shutdown period.

    I found out that there is actually some scientific basis in this belief.

    iBabydust - Timing Intercourse for Conception and Baby Gender

    Some studies have shown that the sperm with the X chromosome - or female chromosome - are more robust and live longer than the than the sperm with the Y (or male) chromosome.
    The Shettles Method of Conception Explained

    It seems that there are fertility doctors out there that believe that the male sperm does not survive as well as the female sperm does, and although this information is generally only used to help trying parents to try to increase their odds of creating either a male or female child, it certainly could be used to help explain why there seems to be more female children born to male Navy nukes. Perhaps the small doses of radiation does kill off male sperm more than female sperm within the guy's body.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #85
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    This depends on how bad the situation actually becomes, but from the looks of it right now, I don't see the majority of the population being exposed to huge increases in radiation. However, small increases in doses of radiation seems to cause an increase in the amount of female children born to those men exposed to the small increase (at least this is what most of the nukes that I worked with have observed). We really wish that someone would do a study on this because the first thing you notice during nuke school is that most of your instructors and advisors have daughters. And almost any time a guy says his wife had a son, she got pregnant while he was either on shore duty or while the ship had been in a long shutdown period.

    I found out that there is actually some scientific basis in this belief.

    iBabydust - Timing Intercourse for Conception and Baby Gender



    The Shettles Method of Conception Explained

    It seems that there are fertility doctors out there that believe that the male sperm does not survive as well as the female sperm does, and although this information is generally only used to help trying parents to try to increase their odds of creating either a male or female child, it certainly could be used to help explain why there seems to be more female children born to male Navy nukes. Perhaps the small doses of radiation does kill off male sperm more than female sperm within the guy's body.
    well, from a man's viewpoint, more women on the planet is a good thing.....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Yes on Nuclear Power......

    .........and I thinks its a disgrace that the United States--Birthplace of Nuclear Energy.......has sat back and watched the rest of the world advance our creation........as we remain hostage to Democrat Sierra Club NO-Energy Policies.
    .
    .
    .
    .

  7. #87
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,050

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    well, from a man's viewpoint, more women on the planet is a good thing.....
    I wasn't saying anything bad about it, I would just like to know whether it is true or not. It would be interesting to know if there is any basis in our observations and conclusions. I'm married. I'm not worried about competition.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #88
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I wasn't saying anything bad about it, I would just like to know whether it is true or not. It would be interesting to know if there is any basis in our observations and conclusions. I'm married. I'm not worried about competition.
    I'm old, can't compete, just wishful thinking on my part. Eventually I will need full time nursing care, and most nurses are women, hope it stays that way, don't want my sponge baths done by a man....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #89
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Yes on Nuclear Power......

    .........and I thinks its a disgrace that the United States--Birthplace of Nuclear Energy.......has sat back and watched the rest of the world advance our creation........as we remain hostage to Democrat Sierra Club NO-Energy Policies.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    I believe the Sierra club is changing its tune on Nuclear Power....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #90
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    I believe the Sierra club is changing its tune on Nuclear Power....
    I believe you are wrong; the Sierra Club's “tune” has been pretty consistent for thirty-five years now.

    The Sierra Club opposes the licensing, construction and operation of new nuclear reactors utilizing the fission process, pending:

    1. Development of adequate national and global policies to curb energy over-use and unnecessary economic growth.
    2. Resolution of the significant safety problems inherent in reactor operation, disposal of spent fuels, and possible diversion of nuclear materials capable of use in weapons manufacture.
    3. Establishment of adequate regulatory machinery to guarantee adherence to the foregoing conditions. The above resolution does not apply to research reactors.

    Adopted by the Board of Directors, December 12-13, 1974
    Sierra Club Conservation Policies - Nuclear Power

    Sounds pretty good to me.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •