View Poll Results: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    87 80.56%
  • No

    9 8.33%
  • Not sure

    4 3.70%
  • Other

    8 7.41%
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 201

Thread: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

  1. #11
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Given what's taking place in Japan's reactors after the earthquake, this is certainly a topical question. Not much to add.
    Reactor problems are certainly a big deal when they happen, but due to the engineering involved, they are rare enough that they are not as much as a concern as the daily pollution of a coal plant.

  2. #12
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    The chances of a 9.1 quake hitting anywhere in the vast majority of the country are incredibly slim. It is important to note that far more coal miners die in mine accidents each year than people die in nuclear accidents. I'm also not sure about American coal plants' effects on public health, but coal plants have led to more deaths in this country than nuclear plants (meaning that deaths from coal pollution have been higher than three since 1961).
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  3. #13
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Given what's taking place in Japan's reactors after the earthquake, this is certainly a topical question. Not much to add.
    I voted "Other."

    I think that, eventually, our nation's energy needs will advance so much that we will be forced to adopt nuclear energy in order to keep pace with them.

    However, I don't think private corporations should be the way to go. Privatization will reduce costs, yes, but their purpose isn't to put out a quality product - it's to make profits for their shareholders.

    Therefore, I think the best way to pursue nuclear energy is through the public sector. But I don't think the majority of the United States favors something like that with our current sociopolitical culture.

    So while I do favor nuclear power, I don't think the U.S. would implement it in the way that I prefer it be done.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    I favor nuclear power 100%.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #15
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    I believe nuclear power is too dangerous to handle, so it should be phased out, but inevitable for the time being, so I am against an immediate stop:

    I don't buy into the propaganda by energy companies nuclear plants are "safe". Accidents often take place. And while complete meltdowns la Chernobyl or Fukushima may be seldom, the resulting damage is potentially way too big in case it happens after all. The company running the Fukushima plant in Japan has documented in the past years that they're not credible. So maybe a meltdown only takes place, statistically, once in 100 years -- but even that is way too much, IMHO.

    On the other side, what's the alternative? More fossil fuels. They cause pollution too, and even if you don't believe in climate change due to CO2, you will acknowledge that pollution in general is not a good thing. On top of that, relying on fossil fuels increases dependence on not so nice regimes in not so nice countries.

    So it's a choice between pestilence and cholera.

    I'm all in favor of pushing and subsidizing regenerative and alternative energy sources, but they won't be able to meet the demand anytime soon. So for a while, we'll probably have to live with dirty energy sources. I'd say nuclear energy should be part of that too, to balance the problems with fossil fuels.

    But long term goal should be a phase out.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  6. #16
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,647

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    I think it's irrelevant whether I favor nuclear power or not; after the last two days, the American people will never allow another nuclear power plant to be built anywhere near them ever again.

    See also: After Tokyo 2011: It's the end of [nuclear power] as we know it
    You do know that after a few instances in the past, that very same notion from anti-nuclear power advocates was being promoted, right?

    It's a premature notion being spread by the activists.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #17
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    I think it's irrelevant whether I favor nuclear power or not; after the last two days, the American people will never allow another nuclear power plant to be built anywhere near them ever again.

    See also: After Tokyo 2011: It's the end of [nuclear power] as we know it
    An earthquake of a once-in-a-generation magnitude caused this...it sucks for Japan but what makes you think people all over the world should freak out at using nuclear power?

  8. #18
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    I believe nuclear power is too dangerous to handle, so it should be phased out, but inevitable for the time being, so I am against an immediate stop:

    I don't buy into the propaganda by energy companies nuclear plants are "safe". Accidents often take place. And while complete meltdowns la Chernobyl or Fukushima may be seldom, the resulting damage is potentially way too big in case it happens after all. The company running the Fukushima plant in Japan has documented in the past years that they're not credible. So maybe a meltdown only takes place, statistically, once in 100 years -- but even that is way too much, IMHO.

    On the other side, what's the alternative? More fossil fuels. They cause pollution too, and even if you don't believe in climate change due to CO2, you will acknowledge that pollution in general is not a good thing. On top of that, relying on fossil fuels increases dependence on not so nice regimes in not so nice countries.

    So it's a choice between pestilence and cholera.

    I'm all in favor of pushing and subsidizing regenerative and alternative energy sources, but they won't be able to meet the demand anytime soon. So for a while, we'll probably have to live with dirty energy sources. I'd say nuclear energy should be part of that too, to balance the problems with fossil fuels.

    But long term goal should be a phase out.
    What do you think of government regulations that would
    1) require multiple redundancies in order to ensure safe operations and reduce catastrophic accidents happening from disasters and
    2) an automatic penalty of death sentenced upon anyone who engages in any type of corruption regarding the building, operation, and investigation of a nuclear power plant?
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    I favor it, just don't build anything within 25 square miles of a plant. Then you don't have to worry as much about evac.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  10. #20
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Do You Favor Nuclear Power?

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    I favor it, just don't build anything within 25 square miles of a plant. Then you don't have to worry as much about evac.
    Well, nuclear power plants are limited in where they can build. They have to build close to a waterway in order to ensure a large enough supply of water to act as a coolant and to use as steam.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •