View Poll Results: Left or Right?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • left

    30 49.18%
  • right

    31 50.82%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 127

Thread: Left or Right?

  1. #21
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think the biggest problems with defense spending are cost overruns, inherent issues with the defense procurement system, and a lot of money spent on contractors and consultants that don't actually do that much to help national security. Compared to the Reagan era, we're now spending a lot more and getting a lot less. In terms of force levels I think our current numbers are justified, but it's the costs of keeping that force in uniform that's skyrocketing.
    My perfect scenario - eliminating the costs overruns you mentioned, then cutting the size to 30-40%.
    Yeah, I'm not a very pro-military guy.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  2. #22
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    I'd disagree *shrugs*
    Anyway, I retook some of those quizzes, and this is where I ended up.



    Economic Left/Right: 1.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.21

    Honestly, it's sort of what I expected.
    so what exactly makes you "slightly liberal"?

  3. #23
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    so what exactly makes you "slightly liberal"?
    Social issues are more important to me than fiscal ones.
    If giving up 3-5% of my paycheck means a little more liberty in the world, I'm willing to make that trade.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  4. #24
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    My perfect scenario - eliminating the costs overruns you mentioned, then cutting the size to 30-40%.
    Yeah, I'm not a very pro-military guy.
    To me the military is much more than just a tool of national defense, it's also a valuable social institution (promoting social mobility), and is probably one of the last remaining crucibles/rites of passage to manhood in society in my opinion. I guess I'm just kinda old-fashioned like that.

  5. #25
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    To me the military is much more than just a tool of national defense, it's also a valuable social institution (promoting social mobility), and is probably one of the last remaining crucibles/rites of passage to manhood in society in my opinion. I guess I'm just kinda old-fashioned like that.
    I guess that's where we differ :P
    I believe completely in a society with a non-aggression principle, which the military, in my opinion, does not promote.
    I'd be for removing it entirely if possible, but I realize that's not possible in the current state of the world.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  6. #26
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    I'd disagree *shrugs*
    Anyway, I retook some of those quizzes, and this is where I ended up.



    Economic Left/Right: 1.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.21

    Honestly, it's sort of what I expected.
    When I take that quiz I actually end up very near where you are as well. Sadly, I feel there is not really much of a party in the US that represents us.

    Here:
    Last edited by drz-400; 03-08-11 at 12:42 AM.

  7. #27
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    I guess that's where we differ :P
    I believe completely in a society with a non-aggression principle, which the military, in my opinion, does not promote.
    I'd be for removing it entirely if possible, but I realize that's not possible in the current state of the world.
    I think that's a beef you should have with the foreign policymakers rather than the military itself. In terms of policy, the military is but a tool. What our leaders do with it isn't really in the military's control. In fact, I've met some people who love the military, but are some of the most anti-war people on the planet and believe that a lot more discretion needs to be used in the decision to apply military force in a certain situation.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 03-08-11 at 12:37 AM.

  8. #28
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think that's a beef you should have with the foreign policymakers rather than the military itself. In terms of policy, the military is but a tool. What our leaders do with it isn't really in the military's control. In fact, I've met some people who love the military, but are some of the most anti-war people on the planet.
    I think you're right about the policy, but that, in my eyes, doesn't justify the military's existence in the scale it currently does.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,982

    Re: Left or Right?

    I am neither, or both.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #30
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: Left or Right?

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    When I take that quiz I actually end up very near where you are as well. Sadly, I feel there is not really much of a party in the US that represents us.

    Yeah, there really isn't. I generally don't even find a third party that does. I have to compromise my views and think about what I want more when I vote.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •