View Poll Results: Would you support Human supremacy?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, absolutely.

    10 27.78%
  • No, i would advocate the unity of all Sapiens.

    17 47.22%
  • Other.

    9 25.00%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 89

Thread: If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

  1. #1
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

    Weirdest poll i've made on this forum but i can't stop thinking about it. Basically im playing this game set in the future, where human development takes them beyond our solar system, into different nebula's and galaxies. There are many different types of intelligent life forms from different evolutionary backgrounds and planets that humans inevitably cross paths with. They mingle in our cities and we in theirs, imagine; they can talk like you, learn your language, adapt to your culture, share the same interests as you, have a collective sense on what is right or wrong. They have big cultural differences, different ways of doing or understanding things, the way people did before the days of planes, ships and globalization, before the days of integration right here on Earth.

    Yet, although all these races live together, prejudices exist, historic hatred and stereotyping still alive, just like in today's society. Naturally, inter-human race supremacy ideals would shift slowly to human race supremacy in such an event. And even though this galactic society has its tensions, they collectively agree racism is wrong, should be combated and equality promoted, again, like today's world.

    But in-game exists an organization called Cerberus. It promotes pro-Human agenda's, sometimes even resulting in violence against other races to ensure its dominance and genetic pool is maintained. It emphasizes on inter-human breeding, human only colonies, independent human political system, military intervention to save human lives only and promotes the importance of the human culture, history and identity over others.

    In such a hypothetical world, as a citizen of the galaxy in the world 2100, would you be in favor of lifting racial prejudices of human vs alien, or would you support the Cerberus cause?

    Every time i think about what my answer would be, i cant help but think "well, would i be a white supremacist against other human races?". But its different....or did people see it in a similar light back then? Me vs this foreigner who looks nothing like me, who has a different background as me? Will that be the next big step towards a discriminant free society in the distant future? All hypothetically speaking, of course.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 03-06-11 at 05:37 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  2. #2
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

    I would try to respect other species and cultures, if for nothing else than the fact that meeting other intelligent life in the galaxy would be a rare and precious thing, but if it ever came down to a choice between them or us, I'd damn well pick us.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  3. #3
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I would try to respect other species and cultures, if for nothing else than the fact that meeting other intelligent life in the galaxy would be a rare and precious thing, but if it ever came down to a choice between them or us, I'd damn well pick us.
    But think you could you could talk, discuss, debate, befriend them. They could adapt to your culture and you to theres. Would you say that for your race now?
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  4. #4
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    But think you could you could talk, discuss, debate, befriend them. They could adapt to your culture and you to theres. Would you say that for your race now?
    Yes. And I suspect that if it truly came down to it so would you. We're not biologically wired to give up if the existence of our species is threatened. We wouldn't exist if we were.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-25-11 @ 05:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    464

    Re: If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

    We're not the only race, even on Earth. Bottlenose dolphins, to cite just one example, are apparently fully sentient and have complex language capabilities - the only reason they lack technology is probably that they have limited anatomical ability to manipulate objects. Apes are also sentient, although their ability to communicate is more limited. There are more abstract arguments that organisms such as bees, ants, and cephalopods are intelligent, although this roams into more obscure domains of thinking that depend heavily on how flexible one's definitions are. I think they all have rights, but our ability to observe those rights is hampered by our own limitations as a species derived from evolutionary pressures. Nevertheless, in practice I tend toward Buddhist philosophy of universal benevolence toward life: I am a vegetarian, and will not kill bugs unless they are dangerous or invade in large numbers that might be a health hazard.

    I find it unlikely we will ever run into alien intelligence. Not for lack of existence, mind you - I am virtually positive the universe is teeming with it, just as an extrapolation of the fact that the Earth is already swarming with it and it's only existed here for a few dozen millennia. But the timescales of evolution are so vast that, statistically speaking, species on the same technological level would be too far apart in space to have meaningful contact. If we ever did run into ETs, their civilization would be so old and large in scale that its actions would either look like natural phenomena or occur in regions so dense with activity we couldn't access them or discern what's going on - e.g., the interiors of stars, the plasma rings around black holes, etc. Nor would we run into archaeological relics, because space is simply too large and the timescales of relics that we could recognize would be relatively small.

    And this mutual ignorance is probably a good thing: With few exceptions, the likelihood of contact with a civilization that found us comprehensible would be the destruction or subordination of one or the other. Even if both approached the relationship with benevolence, both are products of evolution and subject to behaviors that ultimately serve themselves at the expense of others.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 08:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    132

    Re: If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I would try to respect other species and cultures, if for nothing else than the fact that meeting other intelligent life in the galaxy would be a rare and precious thing, but if it ever came down to a choice between them or us, I'd damn well pick us.
    You know, of course, that's exactly the same attitude down at the Grand Wizard's house.

  7. #7
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    We're not the only race, even on Earth. Bottlenose dolphins, to cite just one example, are apparently fully sentient and have complex language capabilities - the only reason they lack technology is probably that they have limited anatomical ability to manipulate objects. Apes are also sentient, although their ability to communicate is more limited. There are more abstract arguments that organisms such as bees, ants, and cephalopods are intelligent, although this roams into more obscure domains of thinking that depend heavily on how flexible one's definitions are. I think they all have rights, but our ability to observe those rights is hampered by our own limitations as a species derived from evolutionary pressures. Nevertheless, in practice I tend toward Buddhist philosophy of universal benevolence toward life: I am a vegetarian, and will not kill bugs unless they are dangerous or invade in large numbers that might be a health hazard.

    I find it unlikely we will ever run into alien intelligence. Not for lack of existence, mind you - I am virtually positive the universe is teeming with it, just as an extrapolation of the fact that the Earth is already swarming with it and it's only existed here for a few dozen millennia. But the timescales of evolution are so vast that, statistically speaking, species on the same technological level would be too far apart in space to have meaningful contact. If we ever did run into ETs, their civilization would be so old and large in scale that its actions would either look like natural phenomena or occur in regions so dense with activity we couldn't access them or discern what's going on - e.g., the interiors of stars, the plasma rings around black holes, etc. Nor would we run into archaeological relics, because space is simply too large and the timescales of relics that we could recognize would be relatively small.

    And this mutual ignorance is probably a good thing: With few exceptions, the likelihood of contact with a civilization that found us comprehensible would be the destruction or subordination of one or the other. Even if both approached the relationship with benevolence, both are products of evolution and subject to behaviors that ultimately serve themselves at the expense of others.
    Remember that i set the scenario already, regardless of the realities of the status quo! But i get your point and i do agree.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 03-06-11 at 06:05 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  8. #8
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Yes. And I suspect that if it truly came down to it so would you. We're not biologically wired to give up if the existence of our species is threatened. We wouldn't exist if we were.
    My nation, yes. I dont care much for race. Maybe i'd feel the same even if Aliens where citizens of my national identity too?
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaya'08 View Post
    My nation, yes. I dont care much for race. Maybe i'd feel the same even if Aliens where citizens of my national identity too?
    I doubt Aliens would want anything to do with your nation. If aliens existed then it would be divided into races. Human, idiot, moron, yada yada.....
    Last edited by Gray_Fox_86; 03-06-11 at 06:37 PM.

  10. #10
    Advisor Arcadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere far away.
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 07:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    390

    Re: If Humans where not the only race, would you be a Human supremacist?

    I'd become an honorary member of another species and never converse with human beings ever again. But I'd probably still advocate what I do for our species now, "stop killing each other". But I would probably harbor the same discontent for my own species, so no, I wouldn't be Human supremacist.
    Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.~ Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •