View Poll Results: Should the work week be reduced?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • The work week should be increased to more than 40 hours, or eliminated

    19 37.25%
  • The work week should remain at 40 hours

    20 39.22%
  • The work week should be reduced to 36-39 hours

    3 5.88%
  • The work week should be reduced to 32-35 hours

    6 11.76%
  • The work week should be reduced to less than 32 hours

    3 5.88%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 102

Thread: Shortening the work week?

  1. #11
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Shortening the work week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    You're trying to spread the wealth around in a sneaky way. Quite socialist of you.
    Umm except it would be spreading the wealth because more people are actually WORKING and EARNING their money. The alternative is more people on unemployment living off the taxpayers. Quite socialist of you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx
    Besides, not everyone thinks work is such a dreadful thing and something to avoid. Some people actually like to work.
    Sad that you have to resort to childish strawman attacks.

    Yes, people want to be employed. This would give more people that opportunity. Going from 0 hours to 35 hours will generally increase a person's well-being (as well as the government's balance sheet). But income is subject to diminishing returns...each subsequent increase in income provides less of a boost to well-being. Therefore it is much less beneficial to go from 35 to 40 hours than to go from 0 to 5 hours.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 02-28-11 at 07:40 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #12
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Shortening the work week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    You're trying to spread the wealth around in a sneaky way. Quite socialist of you.
    Defense contractors "spread the wealth" by building factories in as many different states as they can in order to provide jobs in congressional districts in order to put pressure on Congressmen to authorize defense projects. That's pretty socialist, but Republicans favor it because it provides jobs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    Besides, not everyone thinks work is such a dreadful thing and something to avoid. Some people actually like to work.
    It's not that people want to avoid work. It's that some people are getting overworked. And that can lead to other problems.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  3. #13
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Shortening the work week?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    I have never heard someone complaining of having too many hours. Usually people don't get enough hours.
    Well, this is only true if you're hourly. If you're salaried, then working extra hours sucks, because you don't get anything extra for doing it.

    Like a lot of others, I don't really have a problem with the 40-hour work week, but I'd be ecstatic if there were a shift to working 4 ten-hour days a week rather than 5 eight-hour days.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Shortening the work week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Umm except it would be spreading the wealth because more people are actually WORKING and EARNING their money. The alternative is more people on unemployment living off the taxpayers. Quite socialist of you.



    Sad that you have to resort to childish strawman attacks.

    Yes, people want to be employed. This would give more people that opportunity. Going from 0 hours to 35 hours will generally increase a person's well-being (as well as the government's balance sheet). But income is subject to diminishing returns...each subsequent increase in income provides less of a boost to well-being. Therefore it is much less beneficial to go from 35 to 40 hours than to go from 0 to 5 hours.

    You want to take hours from one person to give to another. What next ? You going to take someone's A and give part of it to someone with an F so they both have a C?
    We need to create jobs so that everyone who wants to work can. We don't need to go cutting people's hours. People who don't want to work 40 hrs can work a part time job.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Shortening the work week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    We need to create jobs so that everyone who wants to work can.
    WHat is this utopian schlock? 100% employment? SCOFF!

  6. #16
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Shortening the work week?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Well, this is only true if you're hourly. If you're salaried, then working extra hours sucks, because you don't get anything extra for doing it.

    Like a lot of others, I don't really have a problem with the 40-hour work week, but I'd be ecstatic if there were a shift to working 4 ten-hour days a week rather than 5 eight-hour days.
    That's what I said. I knew someone who got to do that and I was jealous.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  7. #17
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Shortening the work week?

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    WHat is this utopian schlock? 100% employment? SCOFF!
    When the economy is good, everyone can find a job if the look for one.
    Catawa is my favorite bleeding heart liberal.
    1/27/12

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Shortening the work week?

    Possibly on some fantasy alien moon colony. Or a communist society.

  9. #19
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Shortening the work week?

    The idea that jobs will be created by forcing some people to withhold their labour against their will may be visible in some areas in the short-run (assuming all currently unemployed labour is homogeneous and can simply walk into high-skilled jobs - a ridiculous assumption in its own right), but it completely ignores the unseen and long-run effects of such a policy. Production costs will be raised as not every employer will hire new staff to replace the lost labour because the cost of hiring someone to 'fill in' will exceed any additional revenue they could earn from this demand. Higher production costs in turn result in higher prices, lower sales and therefore fewer goods and services and less productive wealth generation in the economy. Everyone's standard of living falls. To quote Hazlitt, "...legal restrictions on the length of the working week cannot in the long run increase the number of jobs. To the extent that they can do that in the short run, it must necessarily be at the expense of production and of the real income of the whole body of workers."

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shortening the work week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    This poll is mostly directed toward Americans. I was wondering what you thought about the idea of shortening the 40-hour work week. I think it would be a very positive step for our society. We already work far more hours, on average, than any other developed country in the world. I think that most people (with some exceptions) are happier when they're out doing things they enjoy than when they're working.

    Furthermore, reducing the work week would be a good way to help tackle our unemployment problem. If an employer needed a certain number of labor-hours and couldn't get as many labor-hours from each worker, they would need to hire more people. This would reduce unemployment.

    As I see it, the main cost of this would fall on employers. They would need to either pay more overtime (if they still wanted to have employees work 40 hours) or hire more people (and incur the associated recruiting/processing/training costs). These costs seem rather small, especially since corporate America is doing quite well. I think that this would be a much more worthwhile cost to impose than, say, a lot of the inefficient corporate taxes to which businesses are subjected.

    The free market will not reduce the 40-hour work week on its own; if we think it's desirable to work less than that, it will require some government prodding. The 40-hour work week has been in place since 1950, despite the fact that the American worker of today is vastly more productive than his 1950 counterpart. Furthermore, in most industries, companies have an incentive to work employees as many hours as they can get away with, because it reduces training costs.

    But what about the fact that some people already struggle to make ends meet with a 40-hour job? OK, but there are lots of other people in the even worse position of working 0 hours per week because they can't find a job. From a macroeconomic perspective, this is very harmful. It would be far better for our economy to have more people working fewer hours, than to have fewer people working more hours.
    Only from a Liberal, an innovative idea.
    I remember working Saturday overtime, 6 hours and accomplishing the same as I did during the week -8 hours.
    Who came up with 8 hours anyway - this must be questioned.
    If a man really works hard, he becomes fatigued and un-productive after 6 hours.
    This, of course, varies from man to man.
    How do the Japanese do this, or the French, or the Germans ?
    We could run a study on a state by state basis.
    But we must do something, just to stand still or regress is not good.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •