View Poll Results: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 53.52%
  • No

    33 46.48%
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 420

Thread: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

  1. #61
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    Last time i looked frameworking all of biology didn't feed the poor
    I disagree. Advances in science, including Biology have profound impacts on technology such as food production and medical care. Evolution has had a particular important impact on our understanding and prevention of disease as the link specifically points out.


    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    or help gain political power.
    I'm not really sure how any type of hard science helps people gain political power.


    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    Knowing the differences between organisms may be great and correct but this debate is mainly for who people are voting and as such is worthless knowledge.

    That evolution debate is between politicians and people in the media only.
    There is no debate. The only people "debating" are a bunch of religious wackos whose interpretation of their preferred holy-book comes in conflict with the evidence found by studying nature (science).

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    Again this is a debate about the evolution debate. Other than that, only biotech company workers and researchers care. The "Theory of Evolution" as debated has no practicable everyday use and certainly has no use when electing politicians.
    Most people don't use working knowledge of MOST scientific theories in everyday life. E.G., even before the theory of gravitation was put forth--which allowed precise calculations of distance, speed and acceleration--people knew that things fell downwards. Your criticism can be applied to just about any scientific theory.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    No you can't, you can come up with a lot of hand-waving nonsense which anyone with half a clue in logic and evidence can blow massive holes in. You'll just clench your eyes tightly shut and pretend that any of those arguments holds even the slightest amount of water.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #63
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    Last time i looked frameworking all of biology didn't feed the poor or help gain political power. Knowing the differences between organisms may be great and correct but this debate is mainly for who people are voting and as such is worthless knowledge. Again this is a debate about the evolution debate. That evolution debate is between politicians and people in the media only. Other than that, only biotech company workers and researchers care. The "Theory of Evolution" as debated has no practicable everyday use and certainly has no use when electing politicians.

    Point two onward in your article is the same thing. Again, biology may employ people and create great things. But within a political discussion (which the evolution debate currently is), this is meaningless.
    1. Your whole line is based on the FALLACY that evolution needs to feed the poor or serve other overwhelming social needs... when the Debate is about what's True or not.
    You want to illogically 'sour-grapes' the truth with "Yeah BUT can it buy me a new car?".
    What has Gravity done for society?
    Far less than Evolutionary/Genetic/Biological sciences. But Gravity doesn't contradict your Goofy Holy Book and stone-age beliefs.

    2. Science/Bio is indeed feeding the poor and very useful. ie. new crop strains and farming methods. Including developing plants that are resistant to EVOLVING pests. And of course, recent Medical advances.

    3. What's truly worthless and produces NO human progress (witness Koran-ball-and-chain backwards countries), is people holding tightly on to their Holy Books defying progress.
    Last edited by mbig; 02-27-11 at 06:34 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  4. #64
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I consider it more a debate between the educated and the ignorant.
    agreed,there are lots of arguments like that and neither side has a monopoly on being on the right side

    the bible thumpers [they mostly vote GOP] are on the wrong side of this argument

    the faith based belief that more gun restrictions will mean more public safety, on the other hand, is a left wing religious belief



  5. #65
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    1. Your whole them is based on the FALLACY that evolution needs to feed the poor or serve other overwhelming social needs... when the Debate is about what's True or not.
    You want to illogically 'sour-grapes' the truth with "Yeah but can it buy me a new car?".
    What has gravity done for society?
    Far less than Evolutionary/Genetic sciences. But Gravity doesn't contradict your Goofy Holy Book

    2. Science/Bio is indeed feeding the poor and very useful ie. new crop strains and farming methods. Including developing plants that are resistant to EVOLVING pests. Ooops.

    3. What's truly worthless and produces NO human progress (witness Koran-ball-and-chain backwards countries), is people holding tightly on to their Holy Books defying progress.
    true, holy books come in many forms

    some worship mythical deities.

    others worship concepts such as socialism, marxist or creations of man such as government

    faith based belief systems that ignore facts retard enlightenment



  6. #66
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    Last time i looked frameworking all of biology didn't feed the poor or help gain political power. Knowing the differences between organisms may be great and correct but this debate is mainly for who people are voting and as such is worthless knowledge. Again this is a debate about the evolution debate. That evolution debate is between politicians and people in the media only. Other than that, only biotech company workers and researchers care. The "Theory of Evolution" as debated has no practicable everyday use and certainly has no use when electing politicians.

    Point two onward in your article is the same thing. Again, biology may employ people and create great things. But within a political discussion (which the evolution debate currently is), this is meaningless.
    Evolution has a meaning in your medicine. The evolution "debate" (bleh) is a scientific one, not a political one.
    Also, tell norman borlaug that biology didn't feed the poor.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    I believe it's a debate between two scientific opinions. I'm someone who does not believe in evolution due to scientific evidence against it and the lack of proof supporting it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I consider it more a debate between the educated and the ignorant.
    So am I an uneducated ignorant person for not believing in the theory of evolution?
    Last edited by digsbe; 02-27-11 at 07:45 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #68
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I believe it's a debate between two scientific opinions. I'm someone who does not believe in evolution due to scientific evidence against it and the lack of proof supporting it.
    So am I an uneducated ignorant person for not believing in the theory of evolution?
    I have a few questions. First, how is there not enough scientific evidence to support evolution. Second, what scientific evidence goes against it. And third, are you a creationist (humor me).

    Lastly, you may not necessarily be uneducated or ignorant, but you have come to the wrong conclusions, and are incorrect.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  9. #69
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    If you know what the Truth you want is and if you’re invested in it, then you develop arguments for that support the Truth. If you just care about making your answer more correct, you just gather more data, write a paper and expose it to review. The sun is small and rises at the eastern edge of the world had many developed arguments to support it. If you look at the sun, earth and its moon from the North Star can you see the moon orbiting the earth?

  10. #70
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    If you know what the Truth you want is and if you’re invested in it, then you develop arguments for that support the Truth. If you just care about making your answer more correct, you just gather more data, write a paper and expose it to review. The sun is small and rises at the eastern edge of the world had many developed arguments to support it. If you look at the sun, earth and its moon from the North Star can you see the moon orbiting the earth?
    Ah...

    I can kinda see what you're getting at but I don't think it applies here...

Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •