View Poll Results: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 53.52%
  • No

    33 46.48%
Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 420

Thread: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

  1. #351
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    That may be enough for you, but not me. Fact is something that can be seen, demonstrated, and explained in words everyone can understand, not just the words of exalted members of an exclusive scientist club.

    You don't have to cater to someone to make it a fact.
    Just because someone doesn't understand the science, that doesn't mean that it isn't a fact. It means the person is a dumbass.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  2. #352
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Unicorn comes from the Greek "unicornis", ie; Rhinoceros unicornis, aka the Indian Rhinoceros. "Unicorn" accurately refers to any horned animal of great size.

    I assure you they do exist. Here's a picture of a real unicorn:



    I would love to see you have one mow your lawn.
    Fine, centaurs, fauns
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Fine, centaurs,
    The idea of centaurs came from the first reaction of a non-riding culture, as in the Minoan Aegean world, to nomads who were mounted on horses. Here is a picture of a real centaur:



    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    fauns
    Fauns originally refer to aloof wild men or small clans who lived away from mainstream civilization and were unpredictable by 'civilized' ancient Roman standards. Their story offer warning and wisdom in avoiding or seeking the aid of such 'wild men'.


    ***
    Honestly, why can't atheists tell the difference between fact and fiction? I think you need to lay of the Dungeons and Dragons just a tad.

  4. #354
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    If god = gravity then why use the term "god"? Why not just say "gravity"? If god is more than just gravity then what is god?

    You seem to be equivocating.
    I did not say "God = gravity", I said "God is gravity".

    God is everything, every force, every thought, everywhere. God is the Supreme Consciousness. You ask Jerry:
    An idea only "exists" within the mind(s) of conscious beings. Does your god only "exist" as an idea?
    and you have it backwards. God doesn't exist in the minds of conscious human beings, human beings exist in the mind of God.

  5. #355
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Honestly, why can't atheists tell the difference between fact and fiction? I think you need to lay of the Dungeons and Dragons just a tad.
    I ask theists this question the whole time.

    I really don't believe you don't see the error in your reasoning. Just because you say "I'm going for a run because the flying spaghetti monster is telling me to" doesn't mean the FSM exists!
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  6. #356
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    I ask theists this question the whole time.

    I really don't believe you don't see the error in your reasoning. Just because you say "I'm going for a run because the flying spaghetti monster is telling me to" doesn't mean the FSM exists!
    I think humans have don just a tad bit more than go for a light morning jog in the name of God.

  7. #357
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    That may be enough for you, but not me. Fact is something that can be seen, demonstrated, and explained in words everyone can understand, not just the words of exalted members of an exclusive scientist club.

    Show me... Prove it to me...

    My motor was idling until your post put it into gear... Thanks for the stimulu

    ricksfolly
    You're welcome.

    Actually, you don't have to be a member of any "exclusive scientist club" to understand most of the basic theories. The germ theory of disease, for example, doesn't require any higher mathematics or any knowledge above grade school, where the scientific method is taught. Evolution is a little more complex, but still, anyone who didn't sleep through high school biology should be able to understand that one. The theory of relativity is a little more difficult, as it does involve some higher math. The "big bang" theory is beyond my own comprehension, not being a member of any exclusive scientist club myself. It sounds to me much like god standing in space somewhere and saying, "Let there be light!"

    But, that's probably because I really don't understand it.

    Much as people who did sleep through high school biology don't understand the theory of relativity.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #358
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,062

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I consider it more a debate between the educated and the ignorant.
    That was almost literally my response... thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #359
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Unicorn comes from the Greek "unicornis", ie; Rhinoceros unicornis, aka the Indian Rhinoceros. "Unicorn" accurately refers to any horned animal of great size.

    I assure you they do exist. Here's a picture of a real unicorn:



    I would love to see you have one mow your lawn.
    Greek would be monokeros, Unicornis is latin. The KJV translators translated "re'em", an animal famed for strength and agility, plus one or two horns, as "unicornis". "re'em"was most likely the auroch, a large bull...
    Last edited by Manc Skipper; 03-22-11 at 07:28 PM.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  10. #360
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I think humans have don just a tad bit more than go for a light morning jog in the name of God.
    That doesn't matter. The argument has absolutely no logical value. I put up a light example, but murdering half the world in the name of the FSM doesn't make him exist either. 1*0=10000*0
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •