View Poll Results: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 53.52%
  • No

    33 46.48%
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 420

Thread: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

  1. #331
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well the idea of God is certainly a force that moves minds.
    Jerry, you misunderstand me. Read what I said literally. God is gravity.

    The typical atheist demand for proof of God is like some young earth creationist demanding samples of dark matter or gravity therefore doesn't exist.
    “The one who is devoid of knowledge, dedication and faith does not gain spiritual knowledge and ultimately perishes. The one who is sceptical, neither attains this world nor the world beyond and never remains happy.”

  2. #332
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    Scientists believe visual effect with no clear vision of cause. Non-scientists believe visual effect is caused by a miracle.

    ricksfolly
    I've always felt it was more of an occupation thing. Scientists work doing science, non-scientists don;t.

  3. #333
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    In the way that gravity is not a thing, let alone a person, but a force which moves objects, that is how I view God.
    If God is a force then it should be observable and testable such that we can verify its existence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well the idea of God is certainly a force that moves minds.

    The typical atheist demand for proof of God is like some young earth creationist demanding samples of dark matter or gravity therefore doesn't exist.
    Gravity can be directly demonstrated to exist. Dark matter is inferred to exist. Do you claim to have evidence to show your god exists as well? Or is it just a meme?
    Last edited by scourge99; 03-22-11 at 12:38 PM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  4. #334
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    If God is a force then it should be observable and testable such that we can verify its existence.



    Gravity can be directly demonstrated to exist. Dark matter is inferred to exist. Do you claim to have evidence to show your god exists as well? Or is it just a meme?
    gravity is demonstrable, therefor, God is shown to exist. God is gravity.

    And I will repost this in case you missed it the first time round:
    “The one who is devoid of knowledge, dedication and faith does not gain spiritual knowledge and ultimately perishes. The one who is sceptical, neither attains this world nor the world beyond and never remains happy.”

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    If God is a force then it should be observable and testable such that we can verify its existence.
    God as an idea, a force, a wave, not a being or person or object.

    Is this not testable? Can we not look back though history and observe how the idea of God moves through people, influencing thought, culture and behavior? Don't atheists point to the belief in God as the force behind the inquisition, the crucaids, modern terrorism. Don't 'people of the cloth' defend themselves with examples of how the idea or faith in God is the force behind charity, of the actions of saints, of social cohesion in every culture?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Gravity can be directly demonstrated to exist. Dark matter is inferred to exist. Do you claim to have evidence to show your god exists as well? Or is it just a meme?
    I would say that if God's influence can be observed, then God can be inferred to exist.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-22-11 at 01:00 PM.

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    God as an idea, a force, a wave, not a being or person or object.

    Is this not testable? Can we not look back though history and observe how the idea of God moves through people, influencing thought, culture and behavior? Don't atheists point to the belief in God as the force behind the inquisition, the crucaids, modern terrorism. Don't 'people of the cloth' defend themselves with examples of how the idea or faith in God is the force behind charity, of the actions of saints, of social cohesion in every culture?
    God is everything.

  7. #337
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    God as an idea, a force, a wave, not a being or person or object.

    Is this not testable? Can we not look back though history and observe how the idea of God moves through people, influencing thought, culture and behavior? Don't atheists point to the belief in God as the force behind the inquisition, the crucaids, modern terrorism. Don't 'people of the cloth' defend themselves with examples of how the idea or faith in God is the force behind charity, of the actions of saints, of social cohesion in every culture?



    I would say that if God's influence can be observed, then God can be inferred to exist.
    by that logic, the gods of the ancients also existed.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  8. #338
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    by that logic, the gods of the ancients also existed.
    The real god probably bears no resemblance to the ones that humans have created throughout history.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #339
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    by that logic, the gods of the ancients also existed.
    Scripture would certainly agree with you.

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The real god probably bears no resemblance to the ones that humans have created throughout history.
    We often personify intangible things so we can grasp them. The notion of space-time being a fabric, for example.

    An idea of a god can take many forms, from legendary real people, personified Jungian archetypes, to perfectly natural yet unexplained (to that local people) forces of nature.

    Spirit, for example, just means a way of behaving. Humans personified this way, or motion, or pattern of behavior, so as to better grasp it. The Holy Spirit is not a literal being, but is alleged to be the superior pattern of behavior, healthiest moral outlook and attitude, best way of existing there can be.

    De-personified, the allegation that an evil spirit made a child sick, means something as ordinary as bad personal hygiene, or someone els's misbehavior passing the illness to the child. In this way it's fair to say that the evil spirit of greed came over the executives responsible for the Deepwater Horizon spill. The spirit of greed is not a real being, but an influence.

    The notion of a supreme God of gods is the idea that there is a best pattern of behavior out of many good patterns of behavior.
    Last edited by Jerry; 03-22-11 at 01:36 PM.

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •