View Poll Results: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 53.52%
  • No

    33 46.48%
Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 420

Thread: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

  1. #251
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jzyehoshua View Post
    While I would say there is a growing segment of scientists who identify with the I.D. or creationist crowd, and while I suspect it to be in part based on the recent discoveries I mentioned, they are still certainly in the minority. At the same time though, I don't believe it's become common knowledge yet that Darwin identified a plausible alternative, as I have never seen this mentioned on any creationist or I.D. site before - I found it myself by simply reading his book. I like to read source material like senate transcripts and legislation, and check for myself, doing my own research. Once that changes, I expect even more scientists could begin seriously questioning the alternative Darwin provided.
    Growing segment? What?
    Of course ID is a minority in biology. It's not even comparable to the number of scientists accepting evolution. Something like Project Steve only underscores this.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  2. #252
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    It's not a dead end, it's just very small and paints an incomplete picture from what I can tell.
    Indeed. Blackdog is as wrong as usual on this topic (probably because he can't read properly).

    Evolution makes a prediction as to where a species will be found in the record and low and behold, it's right almost all of the time. We do not find a fossil record that supports YEC at all. In fact, technically under a YEC world, there should be no fossils at all until the fall of man because there was no death and after that all of the fossils should have species from all eras of Earth as they all existed at the same time. And then we get the real issue of the flood where we should see a dense concentration of every organism in the same exact strata. Nothing like this occurs. Anywhere.

    Evolution is likely true because it meets the very basic requirements for a good theory. It makes predictions that are testable and that prove to be true. Creationism (which I mean YEC, don't get your panties in a bunch) provides predictions that are never correct.

    How many tangible commercial products outside of propaganda has Creationism produced/help produce?
    How many tangible commercial products outside of propaganda has Evolution produced/help produce? I bet some of you drove today. Gasoline is one of them.
    Last edited by obvious Child; 03-06-11 at 10:45 PM.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #253
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    So how'd you vote? The "ignorant" group would include many Christians, right? lol
    Depends on the individual, not the group.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #254
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    I don't know about not reading properly, he clearly said "I know I am biased, but ... that is how it appeared to me during study" and that other things "actually provides more evidence".
    I would agree others are more definitive, but I disagree that "The fossil record is a dead end for evolution"
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  5. #255
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    My sister, her husband - my Dad, my ex - and many others - believe God got things started and that included the evolutionary process.
    I don't understand why you can't believe in both God and evolution... it's really dumb to me that people think it's impossible.

    Also, I think a lot of people really don't understand what evolution is... they hear "evolution" and their knee jerk response is "IT'S JUST A THEORY." I really think when people write-off evolution as just a theory, they are showing how uneducated and ignorant they are on the topic. Evolution is more than just the observation Darwin made about apes and people... large parts of evolution is regarded as fact by the scientific community and respected theories.

    Charles Darwin was a very intelligent man and well respected scientist, he wasn't some atheist out to prove God didn't exist.

  6. #256
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by laska View Post
    There is no conflict between science and religion as far as the LDS are concerned. BYU teaches evolution BYU NewsNet - Science professors don't view evolution as an 'either-or' proposition
    The LDS church conflicts with science, esp the science of archeology, and history in many other ways...

  7. #257
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Depends on the individual, not the group.
    Or mroe accurately, the specific sub-belief. YEC of all types are ignorant at least in their views on science.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #258
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    I don't know about not reading properly, he clearly said "I know I am biased, but ... that is how it appeared to me during study" and that other things "actually provides more evidence".
    I would agree others are more definitive, but I disagree that "The fossil record is a dead end for evolution"
    IMO, YECs reject the fossil record because it provides absolutely no proof for their belief. Maybe Blackdog had a really bad teacher. The basic premise of the record is something any of us can see. Hell, ask a mother of a teenage boy. The pile of clothes in his room starts with the shirt he dropped first. Therefore, he wore that shirt before the rest. Respective layers are dated much the same. To say that the Fossil Record doesn't support evolution is basically saying that the pile of dirty unwashed clothes didn't form as we all know it did. That it formed different, with the first layer actually being not the oldest.

    Can anyone name a single prediction about historical life that YEC made correctly?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #259
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    he wasn't some atheist out to prove God didn't exist.
    That's hard to do, no matter how smart you are, considering god is an unfalsifiable hypothesis :P
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  10. #260
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,507

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    It's not a dead end, it's just very small and paints an incomplete picture from what I can tell.
    Yes it is small and incomplete, but it is also a dead end in that it shows very little in the way of any verifiable links from say a common ancestor to a frog and an ape. We have guesses, but no proof at all.

    Now include the more recent discovery's in DNA and you have got much better evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    @Jzye
    These things arising don't reveal any growing doubt, at least not amongst the evolutionary biologists who study these things. If anything, it reflects good science.
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •