View Poll Results: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 53.52%
  • No

    33 46.48%
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 420

Thread: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

  1. #121
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    I'm Catholic. Evolution makes sense. God had a role. Evolution and religion are not contradictory concepts. I accept creation and evolution.
    Exactly. Evolution is a scientific theory to explain the progression of species on this planet. A progression that is well marked through the fossil record. To debate evolution is to debate the fossil record. Science and religion are two separate subjects that seek two separate types of answers. Nothing in science or evolution will ever prove or disprove gods. Religion and science can very easily co-exist.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #122
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    I do agree with you though. there is no debate here but we differ on why their is no debate. You say science has won and I would agree. But the larger issue is utility, of which the theory of evolution, has none.
    There's always utility in knowledge.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #123
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Man's inhumanity? What does that even mean?
    You have got to be kidding?

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    I agree that people can do horrible things for other reasons that aren't caused or related to having faith in a particular religion or ideology. But why is that relevant to my response which criticizes the atrocities committed by those who justify their actions and beliefs by "faith"? You are trying to divert attention from the fact that people do horrible things because of faith.
    I pointed out correctly more "atrocities" have happened and people murdered in the name of man's own inherent need for power in just the 20th century than all people dying for or because of religion in all of history combined.

    So because of the atrocity's committed in the name of religion or "faith" you say it is not worthy to be "revered" or "applauded."

    How many non-religious aid organizations exist?

    Around 13 non Christian-Catholic or not religiously affiliated aid or relief organizations. Literally thousands of religious aid organizations exist.

    In the sciences before and after the dark ages it was religious institutions that brought about most advances in science and the arts.

    Faith can bring about great good as well as great evil. Like anything else you have to take the good with the bad. So yes, great faith and the billions of people it has helped since the dawn of man are indeed worthy of every accolade.

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Faith is one of the WORST justifications (if not THE worst) for believing something. If someone does something because they believe reason and evidence supports their actions then at least a discussion/debate can occur. For people with faith, its not possible. You can't reason or debate someone who invokes "faith". This is why christianity, islam, and other faith based religions are divisive. Faith-based claims are often incompatible with eachother (even amongst competing sects). This leads to conflict because there is no way to reconcile, debate, or discuss differences because faith is NOT based on evidence or reason.
    Unlike your train of thought...

    We don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    "Faith" was the "reason" that Muslims flew airplanes into buildings.
    Faith was the reasons millions of dollars in aid went to earthquake and tsunami victims etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Make excuses and dance around the issue all you want. The evidence is incontrovertible.
    Yes it is. I have posted it.

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Turn on the internet and you can watch yourself as Muslims exclaim with pride that their faith in the Koran, Allah, and the paradise that awaits them in the afterlife, just before they blow themselves up. This faith-based certainty is NOT a problem exclusive to Muslims. Christians are IDENTICAL in their certainty.
    Not all Muslims are extremists or represent extremist ideals. Same goes for Christians etc. I mean you can throw around absolutes, but it really means little in the realm of thought or debate. I mean really, a blanket statement is nothing but a lie wrapped in a stereotype.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 03-03-11 at 09:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #124
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Faith was the reasons millions of dollars in aid went to earthquake and tsunami victims etc.
    Where do you get that from?
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  5. #125
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Where do you get that from?
    Faith based organizations is what I meant to say. I was not talking about or including government aid.

    In the end it is irrelevant to my point. The point is lots of faith based money going to charity etc.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 03-03-11 at 10:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #126
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    That depends on what you mean by "creationism". If you believe that Genesis is to be taken literally, then yes, I can see how you would find it offensive. If you believe that evolution was the way that god created life, then there is no need to be offended.

    What I find absolutely incomprehensible is that some people still, now in the 21st. century no less, say that evolution is "just a theory" and is not to be taken as accurate.
    I believe Genesis literally. Although I won't throw out the possibility that the universe is old.

    Evolution is just a theory though, and I believe it's wrong and inaccurate. It's unproven and is a mere speculation of how life could have arose.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #127
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I believe Genesis literally. Although I won't throw out the possibility that the universe is old.

    Evolution is just a theory though, and I believe it's wrong and inaccurate. It's unproven and is a mere speculation of how life could have arose.
    What is a scientific theory?

    In layman’s terms, if something is said to be “just a theory,” it usually means that it is a mere guess, or is unproved. It might even lack credibility. But in scientific terms, a theory implies that something has been proven and is generally accepted as being true.
    Theory: A theory is what one or more hypotheses become once they have been verified and accepted to be true. A theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers.
    In general, both a scientific theory and a scientific law are accepted to be true by the scientific community as a whole. Both are used to make predictions of events. Both are used to advance technology.
    The theory of evolution is not just a theory. It is a scientific theory.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #128
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Not true.
    On the contrary, it is.

    Being confused about the difference between abiogenesis and evolution has nothing at all to do with "him no longer being a creationist." I am a creationist and yet evolution is a fact.
    Tell me, when have I ever discussed the term creationist as anything other than a literalists? Hint: never.

    Furthermore, I have made it abundantly clear in the past that when I say creationist, I mean YEC. Not the varying degrees of belief between YEC and atheist. So you interjecting I'm wrong on the basis of a definition of creationist I have never used here and made clear that I never will use is dishonest.

    Try again. And with less fail this time.

    Your post is mainly baiting, blanket statements and misinformation.
    Your post is based on a position I have clearly stated I have never made.

    Again, try with less fail.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #129
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So because one person is stupid, we must not ignore this fact and judge all people on the basis that some people are stupid? OK. Your logic makes perfect sense.
    Amusing you berate me for things you do yourself. Hypocrite much?

    YECs are stupid. Probably because the belief itself requires a level of stupidity. It may be that stupidity is not required to start believing in it, but stupidity is required to maintain it.

    For instance, the belief that the flood was indeed true. Despite the testable principles of water that a 5 year old can test in his tube. One YEC argued that God made layers contrary to how water acts. Except that he just argued God lied to man. Hence why I have argued in the past that YEC requires a liar God. And hence why YECs cannot be deemed to be Christians.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #130
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I don't disagree, but he is basically saying anyone who is a creationist is stupid. Some very intelligent people who are creationist for whatever reason can not be judged as stupid based on that belief alone.
    Using a definition I have made very clear I don't use?

    How honest of you.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •