View Poll Results: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    38 53.52%
  • No

    33 46.48%
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 420

Thread: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

  1. #101
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    When I was 7, due to pressure from relatives, my family started attending church. The first few times I was in the pews, but I was old enough so I was dropped off in Bible study for little kids. The class was studying Noah and the Ark. New to this stuff I thought it was a silly story, could never happen like that, and said so. I got stood in the corner. I told my Mom about it, she was upset, Dad not so much, so we went the following week. The next class got my knuckles rapped with a ruler and stood in the corner. I recall loud words between the nun and my Mom in the hall. We never went back.

    So, was I educated 7 year old? No. Was I rational? Yes. Was I being indoctrinated at a very young age? Yes. Was it ever going to work? No. Had scientists been indoctrinating me? No.

    Now that Iím much older: Do I respect authority? Yes Do I question authority? Yes. Do I verify and test what Iím told? Yes? Do I believe in evolution? No. Do I think evolution is a proven fact? Yes. Still the same person I was at 7? Yes.

  2. #102
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,546

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Which is irrelevant. Humans have an amazing ability to compartmentalize. Your physicist friend may be brilliant in his physics, but in his religious views, he certainly isn't.
    And you are assuming based on???? The fact he is a JW? plenty of JW are smart people when it comes to their system of belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #103
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,546

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Yeah, I know.

    He's different in religion, he refuses to look at anything but the Bible, which is a little closeminded.
    Close minded compared to what? Your view of what his religion should be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #104
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,546

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    When I was 7, due to pressure from relatives, my family started attending church. The first few times I was in the pews, but I was old enough so I was dropped off in Bible study for little kids. The class was studying Noah and the Ark. New to this stuff I thought it was a silly story, could never happen like that, and said so. I got stood in the corner. I told my Mom about it, she was upset, Dad not so much, so we went the following week. The next class got my knuckles rapped with a ruler and stood in the corner. I recall loud words between the nun and my Mom in the hall. We never went back.

    So, was I educated 7 year old? No. Was I rational? Yes. Was I being indoctrinated at a very young age? Yes. Was it ever going to work? No. Had scientists been indoctrinating me? No.

    Now that I’m much older: Do I respect authority? Yes Do I question authority? Yes. Do I verify and test what I’m told? Yes? Do I believe in evolution? No. Do I think evolution is a proven fact? Yes. Still the same person I was at 7? Yes.
    Excellent. Have no idea what this has to do with the debate at hand though? So you say evolution is a fact and because you went to a Bible study 2 times, you were subjected to indoctrination. What does that have to do with the poll or thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #105
    Sleeper Agent
    iamitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY, NY
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 01:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,836

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Close minded compared to what? Your view of what his religion should be?
    Closeminded compared to the person he usually is, not my view of what his religion should be. He becomes a different person when he talks about religion.
    Give a man a fish, or he will destroy the only existing vial of antidote.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    And you are assuming based on???? The fact he is a JW? plenty of JW are smart people when it comes to their system of belief.
    No, the fact that he believes something for which there is no objective evidence. The same would be true if he believed in unicorns.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #107
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    He's different in religion, he refuses to look at anything but the Bible, which is a little closeminded.
    I wouldn't even say that. The fact that, as a physicist who is trained to look at evidence and evaluate ideas logically and rationally, someone can turn around and embrace other ideas entirely illogically and irrationally and purposely not look for supporting objective evidence is a sign of compartmentalization, the ability to wall off certain aspects of life from practices which are routine and commonplace in other aspects of their life.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #108
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,546

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
    Closeminded compared to the person he usually is, not my view of what his religion should be. He becomes a different person when he talks about religion.
    OK I see what you mean. Yea I know people that are similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #109
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,546

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    No, the fact that he believes something for which there is no objective evidence. The same would be true if he believed in unicorns.
    Faith does not require objective evidence, science does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #110
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: In the US: Is the debate on evolution between scientists and the religious?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Faith does not require objective evidence.
    Exactly!! Faith only requires personal conviction. We saw the power of faith when 19 highly educated men, many of which had degrees, some even PhD's, hijacked planes and flew them into buildings because they were absolutely certain that their beliefs regarding the afterlife and God were true. Not based on reason. Not based on evidence. Based entirely on FAITH.

    How many atrocities, wasted lives, and whacky ideas must you be presented with before you recognize that the irrational certainty, faith, is NOT something to be revered and applauded?
    Last edited by scourge99; 03-03-11 at 02:16 PM.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •