View Poll Results: One view or multiple views

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • one view

    1 10.00%
  • multiple views

    7 70.00%
  • other

    1 10.00%
  • i don't care.

    1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: single or multiple

  1. #1
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    single or multiple views

    One of the reasons I believe that multiple (and sometimes competing) viewpoints can be valid is that I do not view logic and reason as deterministic (meaning that is only one possible outcome for a given set of axioms and reasoning to support a conclusion).

    This can be demonstrated in math with the equation of √9=3. Even in something as concrete as math, there can be more than result from a process of logic or reason. Math and logical reason, in many ways being very similar can also yield multiple results from the same process.

    What is your view, is there only one valid view or are there multiple valid views?
    Last edited by tacomancer; 02-24-11 at 10:35 PM.

  2. #2
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: single or multiple

    Your example is good, but if I remember my math correctly (I always hated memorizing the principles and laws) but you arrive at the mathematical answer using the same principle. I suppose you can apply one principle in several valid ways, which is partially what you're saying, but I don't think that multiple view points necessarily are valid. If nothing else, there is usually one more valid (subjective or not) view point.

    That was a convoluted way of saying sometimes there are multiple valid views.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,874
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: single or multiple

    Multiple, multiple is always better...
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  4. #4
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: single or multiple

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Your example is good, but if I remember my math correctly (I always hated memorizing the principles and laws) but you arrive at the mathematical answer using the same principle. I suppose you can apply one principle in several valid ways, which is partially what you're saying, but I don't think that multiple view points necessarily are valid. If nothing else, there is usually one more valid (subjective or not) view point.

    That was a convoluted way of saying sometimes there are multiple valid views.
    Well, I don't contend that the result of true/factual axioms and sound logic is always true, meaning that just because there are multiple valid conclusions, does not mean that those conclusions are true. However, I do think it is entirely possible that there can be more than one result conclusion that is true and those conclusions do not have to agree with each other, yet they can still be true.

    After proof reading, I almost want to make that comment into a flow chart, it would make more sense that way I think.

  5. #5
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: single or multiple

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Multiple, multiple is always better...
    2 chicks at one time?

  6. #6
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: single or multiple

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Well, I don't contend that the result of true/factual axioms and sound logic is always true, meaning that just because there are multiple valid conclusions, does not mean that those conclusions are true. However, I do think it is entirely possible that there can be more than one result conclusion that is true and those conclusions do not have to agree with each other, yet they can still be true.

    After proof reading, I almost want to make that comment into a flow chart, it would make more sense that way I think.
    I see your point. Based on that, I would agree that multiple view points can be correct. Not that this is always true , but that it can be true.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: single or multiple

    Multiple viewpoints can certainly be valid, particularly when it comes to political discussion because perspective is a huge player in this arena. But that being said, just having a different viewpoint in and of itself doesn't qualify it as valid. I mean you can't just lie, and then have it count as equal to something that is true. There has to be a line where we can accept different points of view as valid, so long as they are backed by something more than just idealism and emotive responses to the topic at hand.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  8. #8
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: single or multiple

    Just for clarification. An example of a invalid conclusion based on good logic and a good starting point is the result of 1 divided by 3. The answer comes out to an infinite .3333333333 however, this answer is not the real result of that equation, which cannot be expressed.

    Also, I am using math because its easy to demonstrate my points, in case anyone is curious. However, math is similar to any logic system in that it follows a set of validated rules.

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Multiple viewpoints can certainly be valid, particularly when it comes to political discussion because perspective is a huge player in this arena. But that being said, just having a different viewpoint in and of itself doesn't qualify it as valid. I mean you can't just lie, and then have it count as equal to something that is true. There has to be a line where we can accept different points of view as valid, so long as they are backed by something more than just idealism and emotive responses to the topic at hand.
    I completely agree. And this also sheds light onto things like constitutional interpretation and the basis of political philosophies. However, it is this simple observation one can make using math about the nature of truth and information that leads me to the conclusion that is a huge variety of subjects that can be interpreted to some degree. However you are right, we must adhere to truth (in the sense of validating our logic against the real world) whenever possible.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 02-24-11 at 10:50 PM.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: single or multiple

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Just for clarification. An example of a invalid conclusion based on good logic and a good starting point is the result of 1 divided by 3. The answer comes out to an infinite .3333333333 however, this answer is not the real result of that equation, which cannot be expressed.

    Also, I am using math because its easy to demonstrate my points, in case anyone is curious. However, math is similar to any logic system in that it follows a set of validated rules.
    Yes, but you are using a logic system to talk about political viewpoints. That's whats got everybody confused.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  10. #10
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: single or multiple

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    Yes, but you are using a logic system to talk about political viewpoints. That's whats got everybody confused.
    Those who get it will get it

    The rest will hack away in their bedazzlement and lack of understanding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •