View Poll Results: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • A libertarian state- complete liberty

    11 28.21%
  • Communism- complete equality and unison of goals

    10 25.64%
  • A Representative Democracy

    1 2.56%
  • Other- Explain

    17 43.59%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 75

Thread: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

  1. #41
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Yes you did, you said Jesus was perfect, and Jesus was a Jewish virgin, so therefore you're saying Jewish virgins are perfect.
    In all fairness, Jewish girls were the best in bed. None of them were virgins though!!!

    and I am not nosy enough to know if Jesus was a virgin. I must have missed that copy of NATIONAL ENQUIRER



  2. #42
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Yes you did, you said Jesus was perfect, and Jesus was a Jewish virgin, so therefore you're saying Jewish virgins are perfect.
    Whoa whoa whoa. This is like that SAT question though, I think.

    "If Jesus was Jewish and a virgin, and Jesus was perfect, are all Jewish virgins perfect?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  3. #43
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. This is like that SAT question though, I think.

    "If Jesus was Jewish and a virgin, and Jesus was perfect, are all Jewish virgins perfect?
    some would argue a virgin cannot be perfect since they have not experience sex



  4. #44
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

    If people were perfect and all people had ideal morality the best form of government is obvious. The Honor System.

  5. #45
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    I think one could argue that you would still need government to have an organized way to help the poor and disabled.
    If people were perfect, there would be no poor, and there would not need to be an organization to help the disabled. People would just do it.

    To answer your question, all of the above and none of the above. If people are perfect, any pure form of any ideology would work, but if people were perfect, no ideology would be necessary.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    You try to make the world less complicated if everyone was perfectly moral. But the world would STILL be just as complicated, i would argue. Because, i don't think doctor's would cure people for free because i think there is some merit for being a doctor in the first place, meaning the effort of doing the schooling and the practice would need to be compensated. Remember, in a perfect moral world, EVERYONE would be moral not just those that can help others. A perfectly moral sick man may refuse treatment if he could not pay or compensate for the perfectly moral doctor's service who would do it for free. In a Moral world everything would work backwards because peoples motivations for doing things would just be for fairness and charity, but everyone would experience motivation even when they are in need. I think to be humble in it's self is ideally moral.

    But anyway, Ive heard from many people saying that "In a perfect world Communism would be great" or "In a a perfect world Anarchy would work." This just shows how we can idealize morality to be complete liberty or complete equality. I think equality conflicts with liberty, because the effort of making everyone have equal everything does not allow the situation of someone to have more then a another, which is a negation of liberty.

    Again i think people are way to quick to judge this question.
    Firstly, in a perfectly moral world, doctors would not need to be compensated, montarily, for two reasons. One, their benefit they would be receiving from giving help would be the only reward that they would need, and two, they would have received the education that they got for the exact same reason, hence, they did not have to pay for that education. In a perfectly moral world, a monetary system would be completely unnecessary.

    Now, from your postings, it seems that you are not getting the answers you wanted. It seems as if you wanted people to choose libertarianism. Sorry. In a perfect world, libertarianism is no better or worse than any other system, but, ultimately, would be completely unnecessary.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #47
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,908

    Re: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Firstly, in a perfectly moral world, doctors would not need to be compensated, montarily, for two reasons. One, their benefit they would be receiving from giving help would be the only reward that they would need, and two, they would have received the education that they got for the exact same reason, hence, they did not have to pay for that education. In a perfectly moral world, a monetary system would be completely unnecessary.

    Now, from your postings, it seems that you are not getting the answers you wanted. It seems as if you wanted people to choose libertarianism. Sorry. In a perfect world, libertarianism is no better or worse than any other system, but, ultimately, would be completely unnecessary.
    not at all.

    First, you did not take into account the morality of the patient.
    Second, in a perfect world people still have their various personal goal's, like becoming a doctor.
    Third, I think the patient in a morally perfect world would decline the doctor's offer of free service without compensation.
    Fourth, it is not the same reason why the doctor would get free education. The doctor would decline the offering of free education because he, in my opinion, would be morally obligated to. So he would give the educational system compensation.

    In a perfect moral world people would exactly know the moral "currency" of every single act in every single case, so in turn they would repay this moral 'currency'.

  8. #48
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,908

    Re: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Now, from your postings, it seems that you are not getting the answers you wanted. It seems as if you wanted people to choose libertarianism. Sorry. In a perfect world, libertarianism is no better or worse than any other system, but, ultimately, would be completely unnecessary.
    Wow, way to make assumptions. I honestly could argue both ways. Tis why i am interested in what other people think.
    And why i was trying to open this question up so there was no definite answer, but the only factor that changed things was opinion on what ideal morality is and how we would apply it to government.
    Last edited by celticwar17; 02-24-11 at 01:31 AM.

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    not at all.
    OK.

    First, you did not take into account the morality of the patient.
    Yes, I did. However, I reject your position that in a perfectly moral world, the patient would reject the offer of a free service without compensation. Perfect morality does not equate to complete selflessness.

    Second, in a perfect world people still have their various personal goal's, like becoming a doctor.
    That's true... I never said opposite.

    Third, I think the patient in a morally perfect world would decline the doctor's offer of free service without compensation.
    I disagree for two reasons. Firstly, as I said above, perfect morality does not equate to absolute selflessness, and secondly, the doctor would be getting compenstation. The compensation would be in the knowledge that he did the right thing.

    Fourth, it is not the same reason why the doctor would get free education. The doctor would decline the offering of free education because he, in my opinion, would be morally obligated to. So he would give the educational system compensation.
    No, for two reasons. Firstly, perfect morality does not equate to absolute selflessness, and secondly, those running the education system would be getting compenstation. The compensation would be in the knowledge that he did the right thing. See how this is going? It can go like this right back to the root.

    In a perfect moral world people would exactly know the moral "currency" of every single act in every single case, so in turn they would repay this moral 'currency'.
    Yet the value of moral currency would not necessarily be monetary... in fact, it would not be monetary because economics would have no meaning in a perfectly moral world. In fact, I would say that in a perfectly moral world, proportional moral compenstation would also have no meaning. Doing the right thing is just that, Perhaps doing the right thing to compensate the doctor would be to say, "thank you for saving my life, doctor."
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #50
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: If people were perfect, what would be the best form of government?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    Wow, way to make assumptions. I honestly could argue both ways. Tis why i am interested in what other people think.
    And why i was trying to open this question up so there was no definite answer, but the only factor that changed things was opinion on what ideal morality is and how we would apply it to government.
    Just what it seemed from your responses. Folks are consistenly saying the same things, and substantiating what they are saying... yet you are disagreeing, rather than fostering the discussion.

    Perhaps what you could do for us is define your term, "perfect morality". That might help.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •