View Poll Results: Is government the problem?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 59.09%
  • No

    17 38.64%
  • Don't Know

    1 2.27%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65

Thread: Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

  1. #1
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

    “In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.” — Ronald Reagan, First Inaugural¹
    Is government the problem?

    Explain.

    Minute 4:20

    Last edited by Chappy; 02-05-11 at 07:23 PM.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  2. #2
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

    This simplistic idea that government is the problem, secures Ronald Reagan his place among the worst presidents this country has ever suffered.

    I invite gun advocates who constantly are reminding us that we should blame the owner of the hand that held the gun and not the gun for the crimes committed with the gun. The American people own the hand that holds the government, it is their will what government does. Blaming government for the intents or the lapses of the American people is like blaming the gun for the sins of the gun wielder.

    With Reagan's simple-minded anti-government advocacy comes alienation with reality whose heroes today are named Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    My own world
    Last Seen
    04-05-11 @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    407

    Re: Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

    A FriscoLib slams The Gipper, not using reason, not using facts(facts defeat partisan stupidity).

    Thanks for the laffs, and for solidifying why I truly hate most liberals.

  4. #4
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gein View Post
    A FriscoLib slams The Gipper, not using reason, not using facts(facts defeat partisan stupidity).

    Thanks for the laffs, and for solidifying why I truly hate most liberals.
    The Gipper deserved to be slammed, Not only did he sell arms to a terrorist regime, he was the father of mega deficits and bailouts.
    His deregulation of the savings and loans led to their 180 billion dollar bailout. He also left George Bush an economic mess that cost him a second term. You don't have to be liberal to acknowledge that Reagan was not a great president. Just a realist.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  5. #5
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gein View Post
    A FriscoLib slams The Gipper, not using reason, not using facts(facts defeat partisan stupidity).

    Thanks for the laffs, and for solidifying why I truly hate most liberals.
    QFT.

    Wow, I was hoping for a reasoned argument as to your opinion; but, no, that's not to be from you.

    Reagan's legacy to the American people is a non-rational movement that believe what they believe without any conscious justification whatsoever. It's just what they feel that counts. Because? 'Cause. Got it.

    No thanks for that.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    My own world
    Last Seen
    04-05-11 @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    407

    Re: Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    QFT.

    Wow, I was hoping for a reasoned argument as to your opinion; but, no, that's not to be from you.

    Reagan's legacy to the American people is a non-rational movement that believe what they believe without any conscious justification whatsoever. It's just what they feel that counts. Because? 'Cause. Got it.

    No thanks for that.
    When you feign desire for discussion, you only make yourself look more the court jester.

    You offered up your tripe, I chose not to partake. So adios, San Fran Lib.

  7. #7
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

    Government is not always the problem. Its stupid beyond all reason to even try to claim that. While government is not perfect, it is not always wrong either. I can't stress how stupid it is to deal in such an extreme.

    Does anyone actually want one example of how government worked? I don't think thats necessary, unless someone is hopelessly partisan and ignorant.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gein View Post
    A FriscoLib slams The Gipper, not using reason, not using facts(facts defeat partisan stupidity).

    Thanks for the laffs, and for solidifying why I truly hate most liberals.
    I feel sorry for you.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #9
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gein View Post
    A FriscoLib slams The Gipper, not using reason, not using facts(facts defeat partisan stupidity).

    Thanks for the laffs, and for solidifying why I truly hate most liberals.
    He quoted Reagan. Its a fact that he made that speech. Ergo, he used facts, and you are wrong.

    So who's using partisan stupidity?
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  10. #10
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Agree or disagree: Government is the problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gein View Post
    When you feign desire for discussion, you only make yourself look more the court jester.

    You offered up your tripe, I chose not to partake. So adios, San Fran Lib.
    Here, I'll try again because this thread is intended to engage all sides.

    I made a point in my opening post of presenting the question as neutral a way as I could. I asked the poll question. I gave the Reagan quote. I even attached the YouTube link and location in the video where Reagan spoke the quote.

    In the poll, I made a point of keeping the choices as neutral as possible, Yes, No, Don't Know.

    Throughout I avoided loaded words because I wanted to invite participation.

    My response post, I unloaded as hard as I know how, because I am partisan, I do have an opinion. I know I am in a distinct minority that is critical of Ronald Reagan. That's okay. I don't actually find much comfort being among the majority of respondents.

    So, here's the bit where you get to offer an opinion and offer some insight about how you think about Reagan's point. Directing your opinion at me seems kind of a waste. But, hey, we'll all contribute in our own ways.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •