View Poll Results: What of the New Ban.

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    30 32.26%
  • Too far

    58 62.37%
  • Other

    5 5.38%
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 545

Thread: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Give Tyranny/Democrats an inch......and they will seize your ruler......


    First they came for the Cigarette smokers.......

    ............I said nothing, for I was not a smoker.

    Then they came for the Salt Users.....

    The soda drinkers.......

    The Gun owners.....
    .
    .
    .
    .

  2. #32
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    It's probably more about litter. It costs the city money to supply butt receptacles, empty them, dispose of the butts and clean up after smokers. Littering laws are ineffective and hard to enforce. Smokers not policing themselves led to this law. They can blame themselves.
    Butt recepticles?? We could hire.....never mind.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #33
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Butt recepticles?? We could hire.....never mind.
    You want the job?
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  4. #34
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    Give Tyranny/Democrats an inch......and they will seize your ruler......


    First they came for the Cigarette smokers.......

    ............I said nothing, for I was not a smoker.

    Then they came for the Salt Users.....

    The soda drinkers.......

    The Gun owners.....
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Don't you mean independents.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  5. #35
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Ok, so by banning smoking, does that mean NY city will need fewer city employees? There's someone maintaining the parks now right, so they should be able to get rid of one of those people to save the city money. Think that'll happen?
    I am not for banning smoking outdoors, but smokers have brought this all on themselves by being slobs. Why should other people pay to clean up their mess? Would you support more cigarette taxes to cover cost of clean up or just let the rest of us pay for it?
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  6. #36
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    You want the job?
    Sorry, I lack the primary qualification.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #37
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA-1 View Post
    I am not for banning smoking outdoors, but smokers have brought this all on themselves by being slobs. Why should other people pay to clean up their mess? Would you support more cigarette taxes to cover cost of clean up or just let the rest of us pay for it?
    My point is that NYC already has people paid to maintain parks. By your logic, the ban should save tax money by needing fewer workers, right. As far as smokers being slobs, it's no worse than those other things I mentioned. Shoot, I'd rather see a few cigarette butts than a ****ty diaper. I've totally run across this, btw, a few weeks ago I was at a football game and somebody just left their litter, complete with crappy diaper, in the parking lot. So, should we ban babies from football games?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  8. #38
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    It depends. Is the ban really about the clean, fresh air or is it more about the fact that people are slobs and keep littering the place with cigarette butts?
    This is something about smoking that actually makes me self-conscious as a smoker. I pick up the cigarette butts that other people ditch outside my building and maintain my own butt bin because I don't want someone else's slobbish behavior to make me look bad.



    At any rate, whatever the reason, this ban is absurd. We have littering laws for a reason. Should we ban food consumption in open-air venues because we're sick of people tossing Whopper wrappers on the grass?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    I wondered about this, we had a heated discussion in the Europe forum when Spain introduced the ban in bars and restaurants.

    I find it odd that I disagree a ban in public space where wind will take away the smoke and I agree a ban in enclosed spaces like bars and restaurants where non smokers have had to endure other people's smoke and you are the opposite on both. I know the argument that people can just go to another bar - so why can't a non smoker simply walk a little upwind or further away in public? Why support a ban in open air space?

    I don't get it..

    Personally, I feel a ban in public open spaces is just going too far.
    It's not the air quality I'm wondering about. It's how bad cigarette butts littering really is. If it's really that bad, I don't have a problem with the ban. It's either that or raising taxes to hire more people to clean other people's mess.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  10. #40
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    This is something about smoking that actually makes me self-conscious as a smoker. I pick up the cigarette butts that other people ditch outside my building and maintain my own butt bin because I don't want someone else's slobbish behavior to make me look bad.



    At any rate, whatever the reason, this ban is absurd. We have littering laws for a reason. Should we ban food consumption in open-air venues because we're sick of people tossing Whopper wrappers on the grass?
    So enforce the laws. And if the littering gets really bad, you know that they will ban picnics next. There's no doubt about it. Cleaning up after millions of slobs costs a lot of money.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •