View Poll Results: What of the New Ban.

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    30 32.26%
  • Too far

    58 62.37%
  • Other

    5 5.38%
Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 545

Thread: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

  1. #371
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,965

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well that's your opinion. As I said, I'd rather die young and free than old and enslaved.
    the boast of someone who has done neither.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #372
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    If you believe smoking can cause cancer and are against the Gov ban, you're either playing games or an anti authority extremist.

    ricksfolly
    Regular consumption of nicotine can dramatically effect the probabilities of many types of diseases including cancer. At the same accord, tobacco is currently a legal product and as such people should be free to make the choice to use it or not. If you walk by a person who is smoking, you're not going to get cancer nor are your probabilities of getting cancer dramatically effected (not compared to being outside in the radiation, being outside raises your probability of getting cancer too. That being the case, banning smoking outside is rather silly. The real offense is not health concerns, but smell concerns. Some people don't like the smell of cigarettes. I certainly do not like it. But if it's just a smell thing, then too bad too sad. I have to smell all sorts of things outside that I'd rather not.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #373
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    the boast of someone who has done neither.
    Is there anything other than this insult to your post? No, just making a worthless statement aimed at insulting people instead of contributing to the debate? Yes? Thought so.

    Grow up, come back when you wish to engage in debate as an adult.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #374
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Well that's your opinion. As I said, I'd rather die young and free than old and enslaved.
    But you are enslaved to nicotine and the tobacco companies. So you won't die free as long as you are an addict. Just young.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  5. #375
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA_1 View Post
    My argument is based on risk and probablities. Just like playing russian roulette. The likelyhood of being shot in the head drops exponentially if one choses not to play.
    Your argument is that if you smoke you will die young. Nothing about probability's etc. In fact I am the only one who has even brought it up.

    Here is a perfect example...

    So you won't die free as long as you are an addict. Just young.

    You don't know this. I know smokers alive and well from the ages from 18 to 97. So your comment is a lie.

    This is why you don't even bother to answer my challenges to your statements. You know my points are valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #376
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,184

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    the boast of someone who has done neither.
    Moderator's Warning:
    New Smoking Ban Good or Bad? One-liner posts without substance other than to be inflammatory, can be construed as trolling. Don't do this again, Haymarket.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #377
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That being the case, banning smoking outside is rather silly. The real offense is not health concerns, but smell concerns. Some people don't like the smell of cigarettes. I certainly do not like it. But if it's just a smell thing, then too bad too sad. I have to smell all sorts of things outside that I'd rather not.
    I totally agree. I can see partly, the reasoning it's banned in doors (I'm a reformed smoker and detest the smell of cigarettes) but outside is silly. Shouldn't we then ban everything that's bad for us outside using that logic?

    Nutzy policies and people...
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #378
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA_1 View Post
    But you are enslaved to nicotine and the tobacco companies. So you won't die free as long as you are an addict. Just young.
    That's your opinion. You seem set on the opinion that people cannot like tobacco, that the only reason they would continue to use it despite health risks is because they are addicted. Certainly there are a clear number of people who would "like to quit" but can't (they can, they just need to actually make that decision). However, there is a non-zero number of people who understand the risks yet still make the choice to use the product. That's their choice they're making. It doesn't seem to me that you believe this latter option to be valid. But someone can know that something is bad for them and do it anyway. Car accidents are one of the leading causes of death for many age groups, certainly for the 23-35 age bracket (or close to that, I can't recall directly off hand) it is the leading cause of death. Getting into a car and driving where other people are going to be is dangerous. People die all the time because of it. But they "have" to use their cars, they "have" to get from place to place (even though in some instances they could walk or have other alternatives). But people know the risks and do it anyway. Are they making a conscientious decision or are the "enslaved" to their cars?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #379
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I totally agree. I can see partly, the reasoning it's banned in doors (I'm a reformed smoker and detest the smell of cigarettes) but outside is silly. Shouldn't we then ban everything that's bad for us outside using that logic?

    Nutzy policies and people...
    I HATE the smell of smoke. But I HATE more the laws which banned private businesses from allowing the activity on their property. The ends do not always justify the means.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #380
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's your opinion. You seem set on the opinion that people cannot like tobacco, that the only reason they would continue to use it despite health risks is because they are addicted. Certainly there are a clear number of people who would "like to quit" but can't (they can, they just need to actually make that decision). However, there is a non-zero number of people who understand the risks yet still make the choice to use the product. That's their choice they're making. It doesn't seem to me that you believe this latter option to be valid. But someone can know that something is bad for them and do it anyway. Car accidents are one of the leading causes of death for many age groups, certainly for the 23-35 age bracket (or close to that, I can't recall directly off hand) it is the leading cause of death. Getting into a car and driving where other people are going to be is dangerous. People die all the time because of it. But they "have" to use their cars, they "have" to get from place to place (even though in some instances they could walk or have other alternatives). But people know the risks and do it anyway. Are they making a conscientious decision or are the "enslaved" to their cars?
    People smoke cigarettes because they are addicted. Driving in itself is not harmfull and is neccesary in order to live our lives. Smoking is harmful in itself and actually limits our lives. Comparing smoking to driving is ridiculous.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •