View Poll Results: What of the New Ban.

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    30 32.26%
  • Too far

    58 62.37%
  • Other

    5 5.38%
Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 545

Thread: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

  1. #351
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,480

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    If one wants to smoke, fine. Just don't subject non-smokers to your cancer-causing poison...
    That is a fair request. Not asking that they make tobacco illegal like heroin.

    But a cigarrette addict usually can't go two hours without a smoke so limiting areas of smoking will limit their addiction.

    With a typical addict's response they try to garner support from others. Thus they try to convince non-smokers that they may lose all their rights if banning occurs.

    Then of course anyone opposed to smoking must be a nazi.

    These are desperate people. I wouldn't be surprized in another 10 years you will be hard pressed to fine cigarettes for sale. With continuing lawsuits against the US tobacco industry coupled with a diminishing market changes are on the way. It would not be surprizing if they ship their product to a more receptive Asian market and simply ignore the US market.

  2. #352
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    That is a fair request. Not asking that they make tobacco illegal like heroin.

    But a cigarrette addict usually can't go two hours without a smoke so limiting areas of smoking will limit their addiction.

    With a typical addict's response they try to garner support from others. Thus they try to convince non-smokers that they may lose all their rights if banning occurs.

    Then of course anyone opposed to smoking must be a nazi.

    These are desperate people. I wouldn't be surprized in another 10 years you will be hard pressed to fine cigarettes for sale. With continuing lawsuits against the US tobacco industry coupled with a diminishing market changes are on the way. It would not be surprizing if they ship their product to a more receptive Asian market and simply ignore the US market.
    Many areas of Asia are also beginning to restrict smoking, as well. Taiwan, where I live, has passed some anti-public smoking legislation and they are considering more restrictions -- though that will likely be shelved until after our legislative elections later this year. Singapore and Hong Kong also have anti-public smoking provisions. Japan and Korea, while behind Taiwan, are also putting restrictions in place. Personally, I would like to see higher taxes here in Taiwan on cigs. They are still way too inexpensive -- especially considering our national health care system is strained, partly due to treating smoking-related diseases...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Yeah, and another reality is that we live in a free society where tobacoo is legal and some people are going to choose to use it. We reap a lot of tax dollars and benefit from it as well. Someone smoking in a park while you walk by is not going to kill you, it's just a bad smell and there's plenty of those to go around. You're rights are not being violated at all by someone smoking near your proximity. Your senses are offended is all, and there's no right against being offended.
    I don't know if that's factually true or not as I have not researched the subject. There are plenty of studies done on indoor smoking and even exposure in parts per billion can cause health problems. It could maybe be argued that outdoor air dilutes it further so it's not a risk but I want to see that in writing before we just assume it's okay. In theory, the fact that I can smell it means that I am already being exposed in parts per billion.

    Again, I have no problem with people choosing to do it but I don't think that warrants exposing others on a whim. If I have a picnic all setup with my family, why should I have to move because someone decided to light up a few feet away from me? THEY should move. I'm not packing up all my **** because of one inconsiderate asshole. The incentive should be theirs, not mine.

  4. #354
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcadius View Post
    If someone wants drugs they're going to get drugs. It's simple, we can educate people on drugs negative effects, and we'll still have rehab clinics. But the amount of revenue that's supporting organized crime, should be supporting our economy.
    Sure, I can agree with that idea, but I was hoping to have a slightly deeper conversation.

    How many heroin addicts earn an income which can support their addiction? Is there such a thing as a functional methadone addict like a functioning alcoholic?

  5. #355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    That would depend on the person, medical history, number of years smoked and if the smoking did actually contribute at all. For example: My grandfather died of colon cancer. Had nothing at all to do with his smoking. My father however died of lung cancer as did my aunt. Neither of them smoked at all.



    Smoking may or may not do anything to you at all. You are speculating at best. What I stated are tangible FACTS. Those things do destroy lives, period. Smoking may or may not depending on many factors.

    Now does smoking increase your risk? Yes. Is it guaranteed? No. That's why it is called a risk.
    A couple years ago, smokers in SD got their hackles up over smoking on a brake in their car parked on the employer's property.

    The employer's argument was it was their property, so if they said no smoking, then you had to leave the property.

    The smoker's argument was it was their property, so they had the right to smoke in their car if they wanted.

    The courts sided with the smokers, saying that the car was an extension of the individual, and that employers had to allow smoking in cars parked on their property.

    Many employers responded with strict rules about how the car has to be closed, windows rolled up, and the smoker can't smell like smoke when they return from their brake.

    A similar legal fight was waged over the storage of firearms in vehicles on employer property. In that case also, unless there was a separate reason for disallowing the firearm, such as the property being in a gun-free zone, the employer has to allow the firearm.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-17-11 at 12:57 PM.

  6. #356
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    A couple years ago, smokers in SD got their hackles up over smoking on a brake in their car parked on the employer's property.

    The employer's argument was it was their property, so if they said no smoking, then you had to leave the property.

    The smoker's argument was it was their property, so they had the right to smoke in their car if they wanted.

    The courts sided with the smokers, saying that the car was an extension of the individual, and that employers had to allow smoking in cars parked on their property.

    Many employers responded with strict rules about how the car has to be closed, windows rolled up, and the smoker can't smell like smoke when they return from their brake.

    A similar legal fight was waged over the storage of firearms in vehicles on employer property. In that case also, unless there was a separate reason for disallowing the firearm, such as the property being in a gun-free zone, the employer has to allow the firearm.
    Smoking was banned on company property where I work. Now smokers walk a quarter mile, cross the street and smoke on a street corner for their ten minute break. They have enough time walk there, smoke half a cigarette and walk back, but dozens of them do it anyway. It's a tough addiction. They can not smoke in their cars.
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA_1 View Post
    Smoking was banned on company property where I work. Now smokers walk a quarter mile, cross the street and smoke on a street corner for their ten minute break. They have enough time walk there, smoke half a cigarette and walk back, but dozens of them do it anyway. It's a tough addiction. They can not smoke in their cars.
    I once worked for an employer who got around the law by simply refusing to hire smokers. This employer cited health care costs and flammable materials as the rational. I was told then that the employer was sued in a class action suit by current and former employees, but the employer won. He didn't win because 'discrimination is ok' or anything like like that, he won because in the hiring process you certified that you did not smoke and agreed that you would not start smoking while in their employ or you understood that you would be fired. The employee broke the contract.

    I wonder how many meth addicts could even wait until brake to get their fix.

  8. #358
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by USA_1 View Post
    Smoking was banned on company property where I work. Now smokers walk a quarter mile, cross the street and smoke on a street corner for their ten minute break. They have enough time walk there, smoke half a cigarette and walk back, but dozens of them do it anyway. It's a tough addiction. They can not smoke in their cars.
    I think it's the hardest somewhat acceptable addiction to break. Most people frown upon smokers. They are getting to be social outcasts. I'm glad I was able to quit.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  9. #359
    Guru
    USA_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    BANNED
    Last Seen
    04-16-11 @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,142

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    I think it's the hardest somewhat acceptable addiction to break. Most people frown upon smokers. They are getting to be social outcasts. I'm glad I was able to quit.
    Me too....
    "This Administration will constantly strive to promote an ownership society in America. We want more people owning their own home. It is in our national interest that more people own their own home. After all, if you own your own home, you have a vital stake in the future of our country."" GWB

  10. #360
    Sage
    presluc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,932

    Re: New Smoking Ban Good or Bad?

    USA 1,
    How's my lungs?
    That's a bit personal isn't it?
    No matter I go for walks everyday, and my lungs still work.
    For the record how much you weigh, and how is your heart?

    As far as shortened my lifespan who wants to spend their last years in a nurseing home or popping 20 pills a day or wearing depends, and uesing Viagra. on a diet of bland foods,

    That may be how you want to go out but that lifestyle is not for me.
    The key word is individualism.
    Just because you want to live to 120, don't mean everybody else does.
    Last edited by presluc; 02-17-11 at 03:09 PM.
    Tiki bar regular.
    My code, never take anything for granted always expect the unexpexted.
    Never take anything you don't need ,never want anything you can't have

Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •