View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 42.28%
  • No

    71 57.72%
Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 714

Thread: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

  1. #601
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    no, i don't think there are divorce stats with any meaning available on ssm. you stated they would further the 50% divorce rate, a statement with no authority. however, even if they did.......so what? we don't deny hetero marriage because a couple might divorce, do we?
    Right...we should deny hetero marriage which will likely end in divorce. This would be like denying a driver's license to someone who will likely drive drunk, or a CCW to someone we know will likely murder.

    To allow people to marry whom they want while reducing the likelihood of divorce, we need to require pre-marital and marital finance counseling. Since we can't single out high-risk demographics and only set such requirements on them without it being discrimination, we should impose these requirements on everyone.

  2. #602
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Um...that doesn't change the fact that it is terrible reasoning. The factors that lead to a 50% divorce rate in heterosexual couples are the same as those that influence same sex couples. As such, you can't use divorce as a justification for denying same sex couples the right to marry.
    I don't single out gays. I damn everyone equally.

    I oppose existing SSM because it does nothing to fix a real problem. Put SSM in a marriage overhaul and it would get my vote.

    What pro-SSM can't seem to understand is that they don't really matter. SSM banned: life goes on. SSM legalized, the world doesn't end. It doesn't matter either way. So, if gays want true and lasting social acceptance and validation, they need to represent themselves as family-first. Presenting gay couples with children marrying along with other pro-marriage regulation is the most streamlines and efficient way to accomplish the task.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-14-11 at 05:16 PM.

  3. #603
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I oppose existing SSM because it does nothing to fix a real problem. Put SSM in a marriage overhaul and it would get my vote.
    You are lying. As you have stated before, you oppose same sex marriage on scriptural grounds. As such, you cannot claim you would support same sex marriage if they put it under some sort of marriage overhaul.

  4. #604
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Right...we should deny hetero marriage which will likely end in divorce. This would be like denying a driver's license to someone who will likely drive drunk, or a CCW to someone we know will likely murder.

    To allow people to marry whom they want while reducing the likelihood of divorce, we need to require pre-marital and marital finance counseling. Since we can't single out high-risk demographics and only set such requirements on them without it being discrimination, we should impose these requirements on everyone.
    fail, jerry. what does the divorce rate have to do with ssm?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #605
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    fail, jerry. what does the divorce rate have to do with ssm?
    I know! It's like he isn't even trying anymore. That is the weirdest reasoning I think I have heard on this forum to date.

  6. #606
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You are lying.
    I'm telling the truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    As you have stated before, you oppose same sex marriage on scriptural grounds.
    Yes, and....

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    As such, you cannot claim you would support same sex marriage if they put it under some sort of marriage overhaul.
    Of course I can, because I say the same for interracial and mixed-faith marriage, marrying young.

    Sins can be justified and guilt removed. You're not supposed to eat shellfish, but you're marooned on an island and that's all there is to eat. God says choose life in all things, and starving yourself is suicide which is also a sin, so it's shellfish for dinner.

    Scripture speaks against same-sex relations, but it speaks higher of doing right by children, so if SSM is doing right by children the good outweighs the bad.

  7. #607
    Educator
    Amazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North of Dorothy's Home.
    Last Seen
    04-30-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Yes, he did.

    But his scripture seems to say whatever he decides it says at any given moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    You are lying. As you have stated before, you oppose same sex marriage on scriptural grounds. As such, you cannot claim you would support same sex marriage if they put it under some sort of marriage overhaul.
    Obama is NOT 50 feet tall, he is ONE inch deep.
    Mark Levin

  8. #608
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    what does the divorce rate have to do with ssm?
    I already told you, SSM furthers the 50% divorce rate as per pro-SSM arguments that gays are no different than heteros.

  9. #609
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    Yes, he did.

    But his scripture seems to say whatever he decides it says at any given moment.
    It's always easier to assassinate someone's character in public then debate them.

  10. #610
    Educator
    Amazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North of Dorothy's Home.
    Last Seen
    04-30-15 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,001

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Oh Jerry...you ran from the debate.

    One must be prepared to back up one's claims when one makes them...if you are going to condemn it on the grounds of "scripture" you shouldn't be afraid to reveal just what "scripture" you are talking about.

    I am assasinating nothing....you just don't like being pinned down to what the things you type actually mean.

    You ain't my first rodeo cowboy

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's always easier to assassinate someone's character in public then debate them.
    Obama is NOT 50 feet tall, he is ONE inch deep.
    Mark Levin

Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •