View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 42.28%
  • No

    71 57.72%
Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 714

Thread: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Does regular marriage promote family? Half of marriages end in divorce, there's plenty of domestic abuse in this country, and infidelity probably runs rampant. Are we really promoting family with any of it?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #52
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Does SSM Promote family? Of course it does.

    It allows more people to form one.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  3. #53
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    I voted no, just to skew the poll even further and piss off the pro-SSMers. I don't care whether gays get married or not, it's really none of my freakin business. However, if they do get married, I would encourage them to adopt instead of doing the surrogacy/invitro/sperm donor thingy. If you want a bio kid, do it the way nature intended and mate with someone of the opposite sex.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #54
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Yes or no, and explain your answer.

    I say yes,
    I agree, at least to a similar extent that marriage as it stands now promotes family...IE it creates incentive for a stablizing family unit to be formed. Doesn't garauntee it, but does help it.

    SSM promotes family just like opposite sex marriage.
    I disagree. It most assuredly does not promote it "just like" opposite sex marriage. The fact that the two that are married can not on average create said family singularly through their own primary actions and means makes it not "just like" opposite sex marriage. That doesn't mean it can't promote family. However, you do your side a disservice with such hyperbole.

  5. #55
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No, you're a "strictly legal contracted" woman. And she's not your 'wife', she's your "partner". This is the vocabulary your side has presented, and is one way we know that pro-SSM is not about the family. You're about just whatever feels good, whatever that may be. In your case, specifically, at best you're the broken watch.
    And you would be wrong. I am married and was married in South Afrika where in fact same sex marriage is legal. So though she was a partner she is now my wife. I am about whatever feels good that's true and caviar and champagne for brekfast feels good and tastes good as well. What I have is a happy marriage. I have lovely children. I have a lovely home and live the way that I like. When you say partner you think of relationships that are in the US in most of the states and that will eventually change. Love will not be derailed by bigotry and in the end same sex marriage will be legal in the US. You may even get a same sex couple whow is married living next door to you. Lucky you. It will bring up the value of the neighborhood.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  6. #56
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    With the divorce rate being what it is between heterosexuals I would say that that union is not about promoting family. I think it is about promoting broken family and single parent children, It promotes promiscuity under the guise of being a legitimate relationship.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #57
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    GLBT is all about Equality®, not family.
    If that is the case, then why do most of the same sex couples who do get married have children or seek to adopt children?

    Jerry, the only consistent argument you have ever provided against same sex marriage is that you don't like that gay rights advocates often justify it with a call for equality. It isn't just about equal individuals, its also about equal families.

    Jerry, not every gay rights advocate is a secular humanist. That might be hard for you to believe, but it is true.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 02-02-11 at 12:47 PM.

  8. #58
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I voted no, just to skew the poll even further and piss off the pro-SSMers. I don't care whether gays get married or not, it's really none of my freakin business. However, if they do get married, I would encourage them to adopt instead of doing the surrogacy/invitro/sperm donor thingy. If you want a bio kid, do it the way nature intended and mate with someone of the opposite sex.
    Skew it Further?

    Your vote now makes it 15 for and 4 against.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  9. #59
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If that is the case, then why do most of the same sex couples who do get married have children or seek to adopt children?

    Jerry, the only consistent argument you have ever provided against same sex marriage is that you don't like that gay rights advocates often justify it with a call for equality. It isn't just about equal individuals, its also about equal families.
    link please.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,091

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I voted no, just to skew the poll even further and piss off the pro-SSMers. I don't care whether gays get married or not, it's really none of my freakin business. However, if they do get married, I would encourage them to adopt instead of doing the surrogacy/invitro/sperm donor thingy. If you want a bio kid, do it the way nature intended and mate with someone of the opposite sex.
    ... this is ridiculous on so many levels. You do know straights adopt, artificially insaminate and donate sperm too right? Straights go against 'the way of nature' just as much if not more than gays do.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •