View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 42.28%
  • No

    71 57.72%
Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 714

Thread: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

  1. #521
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's not that we disagree, it's that the evidence proving you wrong is so clear, and yet you ignore it in spite.
    Evidence? Until you can prove and show your godhead does exsist? You gots none.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #522
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Evidence? Until you can prove and show your godhead does exsist? You gots none.
    The difference Your Star and I have is not whether or not the God we both already believe in exists. We already agree on that.

    Our difference is whether or not SSM is against the rules of the God we both already agree exists, and yes that's easy to prove with a simple scriptural quote.

  3. #523
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yes you did, right here:

    Yes I do. I get to tell people that. Me, and every other registered voter get to say that at the ballot box, when we give or don't give money, when we go to an event or write our representative. We get to do exactly that, and they of us.
    It won't last though. Gays are already gaining rights bit by bit, starting with Don't Ask Don't Tell being tossed out. Once there is enough public support to challenge Equal Protection, it will be granted to everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The reason the issue does not hinge on that question is that the question applies to other types of marital unions which are objectionable.

    Take incest for example. Sure no one wants children with genetic disorders, but until you ban people with any of the over 4000 inheritable genetic disorders from marrying you have no argument against incest.

    You would have to argue that such familial couples have the right to marriage for the sake of their inbred children.

    And what of men with children by more than one woman? Even assuming their not Muslim, you would have to argue that all of those children are better off in a polygamist household under a marital union. It can even be argued that a polygamist family is better than a nuclear family when it comes to financial stability, the lack of which the leading cause of divorce.
    As with others, you have a difficult time opposing SSM without referencing other things that have nothing to do with it. In other words, there's nothing you can say about SSM itself that warrants stopping it.

    Your arguments are all flawed in numerous ways anyway. Incest has demonstrable and unique, fatal problems that develop with multi-generational inbreeding. There is no getting around that. Mating with someone because they are a carrier of a diseased gene that may or may not express itself is entirely different than inbreeding, in which the two sets of similar DNA themselves are the problem, as they lack diversity.

    The polygamy argument has been debunked numerous times but you and people like you seem deafened to evidence. Modern child psychology has demonstrated repeatedly that children do not benefit from transient parental environments or those with multiple parental figures, like three people all being called mom or dad. It's different in family communities where there are aunts, uncles, and other types of role-takers because they are not as central as the parents. Two central parents provide the best outcome. It's already been proven, just as it's been proven that it doesn't matter if those two parents are same-sex or different-sex, in which case, granting them the security and state benefits of marriage only makes sense because it will provide additional direct benefit to children.

    There is not really more to debate. Yes you can choose to vote for or against it, and many people will make the wrong decision that isn't based on facts. The facts show that SSM is beneficial to same-sex couples with children, period. You cannot deny it.

  4. #524
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Our difference is whether or not SSM is against the rules of the God we both already agree exists, and yes that's easy to prove with a simple scriptural quote.
    The Bible was written by humans, not God. It isn't a factor in this discussion. Sorry bucko.

  5. #525
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Well, thanks for your stated opinion.

    One might ask on another poll whether allowing homosexual marriage promotes marriage infidelity? I suspect the answer would be yes? Is a family still a family by your definition if a marriage is wrought with infidelity? Infidelity I might add that seems pervasive in the homosexual community, certainly more so percentage-wise than the heterosexual culture.. Add, domestic violence to the equation, and this whole idea of homosexuality promoting family seems to contradict itself, at least statistically when we look at the numbers compared to their heterosexual counter-parts. What about drug and alcohol abuse? Again, statistically more prevalent in homosexual communities, and individuals than in heterosexual circles. One has to ask themselves whether all of these tangible characteristics are really worth giving any weight to, when the question of promoting family enters into the equation.


    Tim-
    Perhaps it's due to the strain of constantly having to defend themselves to people like you. Perhaps, if people's weren't constantly under the strain of having to live up to YOUR precious standards there would be less violence and alcohol abuse.

    Certainly if people weren't so hateful about homosexuality, there would be fewer youth suicides and fewer beatings of kids who appear to be gay.

    And until studies are completed, we won't know - but it's quite possible that married couples in Massachusetts will have fewer incidences of domestic violence, infidelity, and drug/alcohol abuse. THUS, promoting family.

  6. #526
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    It won't last though. Gays are already gaining rights bit by bit, starting with Don't Ask Don't Tell being tossed out. Once there is enough public support to challenge Equal Protection, it will be granted to everyone.
    Well, for me, I don't want the ability to marry a man. That's not my game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    As with others, you have a difficult time opposing SSM without referencing other things that have nothing to do with it. In other words, there's nothing you can say about SSM itself that warrants stopping it.
    You're trying to change your argument. You presented the argument that SSM should be allowed 'for the sake of the children'. You need to demonstrate why no other union should be granted 'for the sake of the children'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Your arguments are all flawed in numerous ways anyway. Incest has demonstrable and unique, fatal problems that develop with multi-generational inbreeding. There is no getting around that. Mating with someone because they are a carrier of a diseased gene that may or may not express itself is entirely different than inbreeding, in which the two sets of similar DNA themselves are the problem, as they lack diversity.
    So you support banning marriage when inheritable genetic disorders are present?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    The polygamy argument has been debunked numerous times but you and people like you seem deafened to evidence.
    It's an integrity check on your argument, not evidence of anything. Why do you think you people keep bringing up mixed fabrics and shellfish to us?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Modern child psychology has demonstrated repeatedly...
    Link or it demonstrates no such thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    There is not really more to debate.
    I'm sorry to see you leave the forum. Have a good one

    Yes you can choose to vote for or against it...
    Ahh so you're retracting your argument:
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    I respect your culture and your upbringing, but that doesn't mean you own marriage as an institution or get to tell others that have a different culture from you that their traditions don't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    ....and many people will make the wrong decision that isn't based on facts. The facts show that SSM is beneficial to same-sex couples with children, period. You cannot deny it.
    I never did

    You just think I'm anti-SSM just because I can shoot down your cookie-cutter arguments

  7. #527
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    The Bible was written by humans, not God. It isn't a factor in this discussion. Sorry bucko.
    Yes the Bible was written by humans. Everyone knows this. I mean the original scripts are in human handwriting, even.

    Hey guess what? The Constitution and the Deceleration of Independence were written by humans, too...that doesn't make them any less valid.

    Please keep in mind, however, that Pro-SSM brought the bible into this discussion. If you follow the track-backs, you'll see that religion, the church, and what the bible has to say was initiated by YourStar in post 124. It's been a part of this thread for a long time and is not simply excluded because you say so. YouStar has been caught in an integrity fault by cherry-picking scripture. Do you want to help her out or just abandon your fellow pro-SSM?
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-12-11 at 04:16 PM.

  8. #528
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    There's not much to stop the festering decadence in this country. I am against the sin of homosexuality, but I know that, as time wears on, people will only continue to beat down the "norms" of morality.

    Those that don't believe will continue on their merry way. They believe so strongly that if something is harmless, that it is not a sin. That notion makes harmless perversion nonexistent to them. All I can do is wait and see what happens to everyone after this life. Then again, being more "open-minded", as liberals squawk, I know that there are many people who call themselves Christians that take pride in vanity, greed, and pride. But whatever; that's for another thread. I merely say that I see many perverse things not only from liberals and homosexuals, but also from Christians and conservative to "high-class" vain people.

    Do not think I focalize on homosexuality.

  9. #529
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Our difference is whether or not SSM is against the rules of the God we both already agree exists, and yes that's easy to prove with a simple scriptural quote.
    Thank you! For all the "I would support same sex marriage if it was about family" bull that you pandered, I was wondering when you would get back to the religious zealotry that is actually behind this issue.

  10. #530
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Thank you! For all the "I would support same sex marriage if it was about family" bull that you pandered, I was wondering when you would get back to the religious zealotry that is actually behind this issue.
    I enjoy sampling various angles of debate, and in so doing I am forced to hid my religious zealotry. It's not always necessary for me to wear it in the open, especially while arguing the other side academically.

    It's no secret that I hold fervor or tireless devotion for a person, cause, or ideal and determination in its furtherance; diligent enthusiasm and powerful interest in the Lord. In fact I don't know why anyone would ever truthfully deny being a zealot of their cause unless they had an integrity issue, or a simple lack of motivation.

    Academics aside, yes I honestly would support SSM if it were principally about the family. But it's not, and every thread, post and argument on the "strictly legal contract", "right to contract" and "equal protection" are a witness. SSM barely regards the family as an after thought, searching for the rare exceptions in their ranks to drag before the public eye to support a hollow argument.

    I know that SSM will be legalized eventually because I know that this Earth is ruled by Lucifer. It therefore follows that sin would be made acceptable.
    Last edited by Jerry; 02-12-11 at 08:39 PM.

Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •