View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 42.28%
  • No

    71 57.72%
Page 50 of 72 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 714

Thread: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

  1. #491
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I got A's in math (even Calculus) - didn't mean I liked it. The ability to do something doesn't mean one derives true pleasure from it.
    and never having tried it, one doesn't know for sure if they'd like it or not.


    I've had a colonoscopy, so I know that I don't like having large cylindrical objects stuck up my ass.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #492
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    wouldn't hurt to try.

    like the old Life cereal commercials. I'm not gonna try it, you try it. I can see you with a chick now....hey CT, he likes it
    Maybe I will. Who knows. I'm not jumping at the chance anymore than I would be jumping at the chance to screw a dog.

  3. #493
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    (smile) In other words you are a legend in your own mind, I get it.

    Sorry Jerry....I am not quite as enomored of you as you are yourself...and as I peruse the thread you are agruing from both sides of your mouth which actually makes you completely irrelevant to a serious conversation.

    Am I supposed to in awe of all those pretty ribbons?
    Well you did just call them "pretty".....

  4. #494
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    adoption is only incredibly expensive if you want a cute baby girl from china or a little Romanian boy. If you go through your state department of human resources it doesn't cost much of anything. We adopted both of our younger sons through DHR and the state not only paid all the court costs, but they also pay us a monthly stipend for each boy until they turn 18.


    the only thing I had to pay was a $25 fee to have new birth certificates made
    It's typically cheaper to adopt than open a daycare or become a foster parent.

  5. #495
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,073

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The didn't know they were infertile when the got married.
    Prove that every infertile couple knew that they were infertile before they got married. Prove that most of them knew this. One of the most common reasons in the show "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" that a married woman never questioned any of the symptoms of pregnancy that she was getting was due to believing that she was infertile, usually diagnosed while she was a teen. And there are some women who have to have hysterectomies at very young ages. Mumps in childhood can cause infertility in men. And there are those men and women who just don't want to have children at all, so they voluntarily get either a vasectomy or a tubal ligation before ever procreating (although most have to wait til they're at least 25 or around that age, depending on the doctor). Some people go into marriages knowing full well that they can not make children (hopefully their spouse knew this prior to marriage too).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #496
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,073

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    What is significant statistically for you to use the term, lots? I don't about you, but almost, if not every parent I know wanted kids, the when, and why may not be as so clear cut among the families I know, but the question of children was never an after-thought. There are tons of situations whereby creating a family is not ideal, even for heterosexuals, mainly where the best interests of the child are concerned; but these are material, and also exceptional. Heterosexual marriage, and by extension homosexual marriage, pin the argument to certain intrinsic characteristics that one infers as important to the underlying conclusion. That is, YourStar's premise. All things being equal, homosxual marriage, IMO does NOT promote families.


    Tim-
    Is 6.6% (a figure from 1995 that is has been rising) of married couples choose to be childless couples enough for you to consider significant?

    Childless By Choice - childless couples an emerging demographic - Statistical Data Included | American Demographics | Find Articles at BNET

    That figure seems really close to the percentage of the population that is believed to be homosexual.

    Here are some more facts about childless couples, whether voluntarily so or not, that you may not be aware of.

    Childless Couples - Marriage - Families.com

    Childless by choice - Roanoke.com

    The one above says that about 18% of women between the ages of 40-44 do not have children.

    And some info on infertile couples

    Statistics on Infertile Couples - LoveToKnow Pregnancy

    Statistics : American Pregnancy Association

    The Fertility Race: Statistics

    The link above states that 7.1% of American couples are infertile.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #497
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Is 6.6% (a figure from 1995 that is has been rising) of married couples choose to be childless couples enough for you to consider significant?

    Childless By Choice - childless couples an emerging demographic - Statistical Data Included | American Demographics | Find Articles at BNET

    That figure seems really close to the percentage of the population that is believed to be homosexual.

    Here are some more facts about childless couples, whether voluntarily so or not, that you may not be aware of.

    Childless Couples - Marriage - Families.com

    Childless by choice - Roanoke.com

    The one above says that about 18% of women between the ages of 40-44 do not have children.

    And some info on infertile couples

    Statistics on Infertile Couples - LoveToKnow Pregnancy

    Statistics : American Pregnancy Association

    The Fertility Race: Statistics

    The link above states that 7.1% of American couples are infertile.
    So...6.6% of heteros chose to be childless, while 66% of lesbian couples chose to be childless....and gay couples are even lower....so why are we supposed to accept the notion that SSM is like OSM?

  8. #498
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Just be an adult and say that you said nothing about "immediate". I am sitting here thinking about little Johnny being found among the wreckage and people trying to determine who was his family... that is "immediate" in your scenario, that's all. If you want to start being a dick, I'll just chalk you up as a totalwaste of time and not a partial waste of time, with regards to taking you seriously.

    So, little Johnny IS family even though his parents are dead and Sara is NOT family, even though Tim is dead. Serious disconnect going on here. Little Johnny obviously would have ONCE been family before his parents demise just as Sara was ONCE family before Tim's demise.

    Y

    If little Johnny's parents bodies were never found since they were eaten by sharks that died and sunk into the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and were forever destroyed by the Divergent Plate Boundary then you would not be able to prove that little Johnny was an immediate descendant of his parents any more than poor Sara whom you are claiming is no longer my sister in a legal, cultural or moral sense just because she... wait, his semen dissolved into her on accident and that should leave a trace element. Even if it doesn't. You are simply making a justification argument, discounting all reason in order to classify "family" into some tight little corner in order to exclude people that you don't approve of. "Family" is a human concept. Whatever language you use, the term and idea is a human social construct... so you really have nothing other than a fearful and offensive mindset.

    Anything else. I can keep shooting you down all day...
    What I said stand's on its merits. Your problem, like CT, and whomever else agree's with you, inferred what you thought I meant. I made a simple (entirely factual) statement about family, and whether YS' premise held up to that standard. I was careful to include words like "strictly", and "fundamental" in my language, specifically because of individual DP members that have reading trouble.

    Let's try it one more time, but this time a little pithy becasue I grow tired..

    Sara and Tim, and little Johnny are a family, but Sara, and Tim are NOT family! <<-- See how easy that was?

    Moreover, even if one were to ignore my "narrow" assertion (Although I'm not entirely sure why some are even arguing over this point), I have already given my opinion on exactly why homosexuality, and by extension homosexual marriage in and of itself does NOT promote... FAMILY! They can have families, but without some clever "trickery" they are intrinsically unable to perform the deed, unless you narrow for yourself whether a coupling can be called a family.




    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #499
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Sara and Tim, and little Johnny are a family, but Sara, and Tim are NOT family!
    Sara and Tim share a blood relative in lil Johnny, that makes them "A family".

  10. #500
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,123

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    What I said stand's on its merits. Your problem, like CT, and whomever else agree's with you, inferred what you thought I meant. I made a simple (entirely factual) statement about family, and whether YS' premise held up to that standard. I was careful to include words like "strictly", and "fundamental" in my language, specifically because of individual DP members that have reading trouble
    .

    To be family is to be A family... end of story. Your attempt to qualify your statement wreaks of desperation.

    Let's try it one more time, but this time a little pithy becasue I grow tired..
    Delusions of grandeur can do that to you...

    Sara and Tim, and little Johnny are a family, but Sara, and Tim are NOT family! <<-- See how easy that was?
    They are A family that is family in every sense of the word...

    Moreover, even if one were to ignore my "narrow" assertion (Although I'm not entirely sure why some are even arguing over this point), I have already given my opinion on exactly why homosexuality, and by extension homosexual marriage in and of itself does NOT promote... FAMILY! They can have families, but without some clever "trickery" they are intrinsically unable to perform the deed, unless you narrow for yourself whether a coupling can be called a family.
    You are having trouble understanding the term promote... to promote family can be as simple as those that engage in, or have A family, are promoting family. It is not narrowing oneself, it is accepting how it really is. Heterosexuals do not promote family any more than homosexuals, and no less either... You say that they can have a family, well they are promoting family by having a family and why you can't or won't accept this fact is beyond most reasonable people's understanding...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 50 of 72 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •