View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    52 42.28%
  • No

    71 57.72%
Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 714

Thread: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

  1. #421
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Well sure, I would agree that homosexuality has been with us for as long as we've been around. But gay-marriage being seen as the same and equal to regular hetero-marriage is uniquely modern. In ancient Rome and feudal Japan where gay relationships were the accepted norm, it was not seen as the same as opposite-sex marriage. In Rome the relationship was of Master and Student or Owner and Slave, and it was illegal for the Roman citizen to be on the receiving end. In Japan the relationship was an indulgence. The gay warrior was still expected to marry a woman and have children by her.
    I don't think same sex marriage will ever be seen as the same as traditional marriage. It's considerably different in that it leads to no procreation.

    As am I. I await the DP member with nothing better to do then create a 2,000 page draft Marriage Reform Bill like Congress made for health care.
    Oh goody, conspiracy theories. The evil gay agenda will strike again. Haven't heard that one before.

  2. #422
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    CT -
    You asked why we want children. I answered. We are socialized to want children. It is separate from our biological need for sex. The fact that many people do not want children is evidence of that fact.
    What if I told you that I wasn't socialized to want children. Would you believe me?

    Hormones drive people to want sex. I never suggested that the desire for sex was driven by socialization. I suggested that the desire for children was driven by socialization. The desire for sex is driven mostly by biological processes.
    Yes, hormones, biological processes, now you got it. But why have sex at all? Especially since you have no idea what it feels like? What is driving you to want sex? Why are these "hormones, and biological processes" pushing in that direction?


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  3. #423
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Dude, I studied Biology. They do not use the word "family" the way you are using it. That is a bull**** lie.
    LOL.. Ok, ok.. Well what kind of biology did you study? All of it?

    In biological classification, family (Latin: familia) is

    a taxonomic rank. Other well-known ranks are life, domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, genus, and species, with family fitting between order and genus. As for the other well-known ranks, there is the option of an immediately lower rank, indicated by the prefix sub-: subfamily (Latin: subfamilia).
    a taxonomic unit, a taxon, in that rank. In that case the plural is families (Latin familiae)
    Example: Walnuts and hickories belong to the Juglandaceae, or walnut family.
    What does and does not belong to each family is determined by a taxonomist. Similarly for the question if a particular family should be recognized at all. Often there is no exact agreement, with different taxonomists each taking a different position. There are no hard rules that a taxonomist needs to follow in describing or recognizing a family. Some taxa are accepted almost universally, while others are recognised only rarely.



    Maybe that will spark your memory a tad?

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  4. #424
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    CT -

    What if I told you that I wasn't socialized to want children. Would you believe me?
    So you never watched TV? You never went to school? You never read a book about families? I don't know how you could throw a rock in our modern culture and not hit something that is used to socizlize people to want families.

    Yes, hormones, biological processes, now you got it. But why have sex at all? Especially since you have no idea what it feels like? What is driving you to want sex? Why are these "hormones, and biological processes" pushing in that direction?
    Sex is the greatest scheme that nature has ever devised. Undoubtedly sex tricks animals into procreating. However, sex in and of itself is not the desire for children. Just because you want sex does not mean you want kids. The market for condoms and contraceptives would dry up awfully quick if everyone who wanted to have sex also wanted to have kids.

    Also, you aren't really thinking this through are you? How many movies of virgin teenagers wanting to get it on have you seen? They don't know what sex feels like so why do they want it? Does every teenage boy want to have a baby? I mean come on dude, it's a pretty dumb ass argument to make.

  5. #425
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    LOL.. Ok, ok.. Well what kind of biology did you study? All of it?

    In biological classification, family (Latin: familia) is

    a taxonomic rank. Other well-known ranks are life, domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, genus, and species, with family fitting between order and genus. As for the other well-known ranks, there is the option of an immediately lower rank, indicated by the prefix sub-: subfamily (Latin: subfamilia).
    a taxonomic unit, a taxon, in that rank. In that case the plural is families (Latin familiae)
    Example: Walnuts and hickories belong to the Juglandaceae, or walnut family.
    What does and does not belong to each family is determined by a taxonomist. Similarly for the question if a particular family should be recognized at all. Often there is no exact agreement, with different taxonomists each taking a different position. There are no hard rules that a taxonomist needs to follow in describing or recognizing a family. Some taxa are accepted almost universally, while others are recognised only rarely.



    Maybe that will spark your memory a tad?

    Tim-
    ROFL! Exactly! Biologists only use the term "family" to refer to a taxonomic rank. Not in the sense that you use it. As in humans belong to the family hominda. You just proved yourself wrong!

    No Biologist uses the word "family" the way you are trying to use it.

  6. #426
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    CT -
    So you never watched TV? You never went to school? You never read a book about families? I don't know how you could throw a rock in our modern culture and not hit something that is used to socizlize people to want families.
    Hmm.. So what you might be implying is that we could also be socialized to be heterosexual, or homosexual as well then? Hmm.. Interesting thought?

    Sex is the greatest scheme that nature has ever devised. Undoubtedly sex tricks animals into procreating. However, sex in and of itself is not the desire for children. Just because you want sex does not mean you want kids. The market for condoms and contraceptives would dry up awfully quick if everyone who wanted to have sex also wanted to have kids.

    Also, you aren't really thinking this through are you? How many movies of virgin teenagers wanting to get it on have you seen? They don't know what sex feels like so why do they want it? Does every teenage boy want to have a baby? I mean come on dude, it's a pretty dumb ass argument to make
    No not dumb. Just incredibly short sighted of you to not realize that the unconscious desire to procreate drives the sexual process.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #427
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    CT -

    Hmm.. So what you might be implying is that we could also be socialized to be heterosexual, or homosexual as well then? Hmm.. Interesting thought?
    Really dude? Is this how far your intellectual dishonesty has gone?

    No not dumb. Just incredibly short sighted of you to not realize that the unconscious desire to procreate drives the sexual process.
    Unconscious? Oh, so now we are bringing Freudian concepts into this. So does that mean you sexually desired your mother when you were growing up?

  8. #428
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    ROFL! Exactly! Biologists only use the term "family" to refer to a taxonomic rank. Not in the sense that you use it. As in humans belong to the family hominda. You just proved yourself wrong!

    No Biologist uses the word "family" the way you are trying to use it.
    Hehe, no, no, you're missing it again, CT. Family fits squarely between order, and genus and in biological terms a species, or family of humans within the species is affected by the natural pressures within their sphere. An orange grown in California is biologically different than one grown in Florida. Likewise, branches of humans look different than others, and although human, uniquely so.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  9. #429
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Really dude? Is this how far your intellectual dishonesty has gone?
    Not so fast.. Not dishonest, just trying to paint you into a corner. It's what I do..



    Unconscious? Oh, so now we are bringing Freudian concepts into this. So does that mean you sexually desired your mother when you were growing up?
    Does not compute? I'm not sure I understand your avoidence?


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  10. #430
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Does Same Sex Marriage promote family?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Hehe, no, no, you're missing it again, CT. Family fits squarely between order, and genus and in biological terms a species, or family of humans within the species is affected by the natural pressures within their sphere. An orange grown in California is biologically different than one grown in Florida. Likewise, branches of humans look different than others, and although human, uniquely so.


    Tim-
    Wow, that was the dumbest BS you have pulled out yet.

    FYI, the taxonomy for all humans, regardless of where they live on the planet is...

    Kingdom: Animal

    Phylum: Chordata

    Class: Mammalia

    Order: Primates

    Family: Hominidae

    Genus : Homo

    Species: Sapiens

    Go take a 9th grade biology class Tim. Good night.

Page 43 of 72 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •